Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Triumphs of Troy, Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Because the President won't let him hire Meyer.

I love that USC no longer cares about football

For the politically-minded decision makers at USC, Urb's baggage plus their own copious issues has to be a concern.

Correct. Platschke and Thamel are saying President Carol Folt is trying so hard to get away from all the scandals, and all Urban has done is win.... and have scandals.

They’re saying James Franklin is the big fish.

“If they can’t sell Franklin on coming — and assuming Bob Stoops is happy in the XFL — they can sift through a list that would likely include Utah’s Kyle Whittingham, Baylor’s Matt Rhule, Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck, Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell and Memphis’ Mike Norvell.”
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    Swaye's Wigwam

For the politically-minded decision makers at USC, Urb's baggage plus their own copious issues has to be a concern.

Correct. Platschke and Thamel are saying President Carol Folt is trying so hard to get away from all the scandals, and all Urban has done is win.... and have scandals.

“If they can’t sell Franklin on coming — and assuming Bob Stoops is happy in the XFL — they can sift through a list that would likely include Utah’s Kyle Whittingham, Baylor’s Matt Rhule, Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck, Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell and Memphis’ Mike Norvell.”
    I thought Franklin had a very well prepared sqwad in the Fiesta Bowl

He also drops one or two a year just like mere mortal coaches like say Petersen. He couldn't beat Urban much but his one win was a big one

O'Brien was replaced by former Vanderbilt head coach James Franklin in January 2014. Ohio State won in Franklin's first two seasons, but in 2016, a blocked punt and blocked field goal helped Penn State upset the #2 ranked Buckeyes, 24–21. Penn State would go on to win the conference championship. In 2017, the sixth-ranked Buckeyes hosted #2 Penn State. The Nittany Lions came into the game with best scoring defense in the country, allowing only 9.6 points per game, against an Ohio State team that led the Big 10 in scoring. Ultimately the Buckeyes overcame a 28–10 deficit to win, 39–38, scoring the winning touchdown with 1:48 in the game. In 2018, #4 Ohio State rallied from a 26-14 deficit to defeat #9 Penn State, 27–26. The loss ended Penn State's 16-game home winning streak.

Losing the last two from ahead is also familiar

Bottom line and thanks for hoppin on - Franklin will do very good at USC and win a shit ton of games and titles but not at the Urban level of destruction
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

I thought Franklin had a very well prepared sqwad in the Fiesta Bowl

He also drops one or two a year just like mere mortal coaches like say Petersen. He couldn't beat Urban much but his one win was a big one

O'Brien was replaced by former Vanderbilt head coach James Franklin in January 2014. Ohio State won in Franklin's first two seasons, but in 2016, a blocked punt and blocked field goal helped Penn State upset the #2 ranked Buckeyes, 24–21. Penn State would go on to win the conference championship. In 2017, the sixth-ranked Buckeyes hosted #2 Penn State. The Nittany Lions came into the game with best scoring defense in the country, allowing only 9.6 points per game, against an Ohio State team that led the Big 10 in scoring. Ultimately the Buckeyes overcame a 28–10 deficit to win, 39–38, scoring the winning touchdown with 1:48 in the game. In 2018, #4 Ohio State rallied from a 26-14 deficit to defeat #9 Penn State, 27–26. The loss ended Penn State's 16-game home winning streak.

Losing the last two from ahead is also familiar

Bottom line and thanks for hoppin on - Franklin will do very good at USC and win a shit ton of games and titles but not at the Urban level of destruction
    I agree, Urban Meyer will make Pete Carroll's run look weak
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited November 2019

He’s not leaving State College 😂that’s laughable. He’s a god there. He gets almost any player he wants and doesn’t have the pressure of USC boosters. Urban or bust
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

No one cares that some Ohio State assistant beat his wife. They care that the assistant was the bag man

If it was just one scandal from Urbs I think they wouldn’t care. I think it’s the number, Including sensitivity to the whole Aaron Hernandez mess with Urbs at Florida considering USC has its OJ problem.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,305
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Call me crazy, but if the USC president is that concerned about scandal and off-field issues, I won't be shocked if they put the full court press on Petersen. Assuming that this season isn't an indication that Petersen has gone full Chip Kelly and cashed in and checked out, he could do some serious damage down there. I don't think, for instance, he'd have to worry about seasons where there are zero linebackers or non-freshman safeties on the roster. That he's a bottom-10 game day coach in the entire country wouldn't go away, but it wouldn't matter when he'd have the talent on the roster to be up by multiple scores in every game.

If the priorities for USC are:
    1.) Be clean
    2.) Win,

then I don't see why Petersen wouldn't be top of the list. He's a guy that would probably have that program winning the conference three out of four years, making the playoff one out of three, and getting plungered in the playoff ten out of ten. With a squeaky clean image, that's probably good enough.

Just in conference, I think Wilcox could do alright there (with the right OC) and seems pretty scandalproof. And, call me crazy, but what about @Babushka? What he's doing at OSU is pretty impressive, relatively speaking. Whit... Not so sure. Somehow half the players in the country that get kicked out of their school end up at Utah, so I don't think he's the choir boy that some make him out to be. He's also nearly as piss poor at clock/game management as Petersen.

All that being said, with the way USC's offense has turned around this year, I wouldn't be surprised if, after a lot of hullabaloo, Graham Harrell isn't just promoted to HC.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

All that being said, with the way USC's offense has turned around this year, I wouldn't be surprised if, after a lot of hullabaloo, Graham Harrell isn't just promoted to HC.

after a 'players vote.'
  • Options

zero chance whit leaves utah, he's got it too good and he knows it.

rhule would do a good job but the nfl might come calling soon.

pj just re-upped with minny.

campbell, eh, could be alright but he has pretty deep midwest/rustbelt roots.

fickell, midwest guy, tearin shit up at cinci like brian kelly and brian kelly did, maybe he troojes out.

norvell, lol:

could still see trooj 'getting' jeff fisher or jack del rio or both.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I would really really not like it if norvell went to sc.

All of Graham's good years were due to him. Great OC , good recruiter, other coaches really like him.

Apparently was banging coeds and led to a falling out with graham lol

So that's a plus
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jack Del Rio update

He has an appearnce on the LA ESPN radio show

Keyshawn asked him if he watched the Oregon game. Jack hems and haws and said kind of but was busy

So Kewshawn says let me ask you this - did you ever think you'd see it when kids just down the road who should be Trojans play for a team like Oregon and kick our ass (USC does NOT respect Oregon like they do us)

That got Jack going. I guess the kid that got booted for Oregon is from Mater Dei

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://insideusc.blog/2019/11/07/mike-bohn-carol-folt-press-conference-analysis/

Kick ass presser update

There is definitely a new attitude and new leadership at USC.

This was the most important quote from the press conference: “My intent is to listen, to learn and to lead, in that order.”

This is directly opposite the attitude of Lynn Swann, who never tried to learn how to be an athletic director.

“I am immensely passionate and energetic,” Bohn said.
    Again, a direct contradiction from Swann’s attitude. Unless he was on a golf course.

So USC can only get better from an athletic director standpoint. And Carol Folt made clear USC benefits from hiring people with outside experience. Also a plus.

Folt said there would be no limitations on who Bohn can hire. I hope this is true because it would go against what she has said privately when she described Urban Meyer as “radioactive” and there was a snag during negotiations regarding Meyer, according to sources.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

https://insideusc.blog/2019/11/07/mike-bohn-carol-folt-press-conference-analysis/

Kick ass presser update

There is definitely a new attitude and new leadership at USC.

This was the most important quote from the press conference: “My intent is to listen, to learn and to lead, in that order.”

This is directly opposite the attitude of Lynn Swann, who never tried to learn how to be an athletic director.

“I am immensely passionate and energetic,” Bohn said.
    Again, a direct contradiction from Swann’s attitude. Unless he was on a golf course.

So USC can only get better from an athletic director standpoint. And Carol Folt made clear USC benefits from hiring people with outside experience. Also a plus.

Folt said there would be no limitations on who Bohn can hire. I hope this is true because it would go against what she has said privately when she described Urban Meyer as “radioactive” and there was a snag during negotiations regarding Meyer, according to sources.

There was a time when I recall people saying that the one job Urban would leave any other job for was Notre Dame. It is clear that Kelley is Chris Petersen. He made them competitive but they are never going to repeat what they did under slober mouth with Kelley. Which surpises me because Kelley was a good coach at Cincy. What is not clear to me is whether the ND power brokers care to be at that level or not. One thing Holtz did at ND was get the admission standards relaxed so he could bring in players like Ricky Waters. Will they do that again? IDK, but that's the move you're making when you hire Meyer. He is all football and nothing else.

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    wait...so Folt and Bohn are actively talking about hiring a new guy while Helton is still coaching?

what a fucking clown show
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Meek said:

wait...so Folt and Bohn are actively talking about hiring a new guy while Helton is still coaching?

what a fucking clown show

USC sending out "feelers" and openly discussing options while sending out a "dead man walking" coach each week.

1) This sends out a pretty bad message to any coach interested in that job

2) This will likely send the recruiting from bad to cratering.

3) They basically showed their hand, and now any coach that interviews can leverage the crap out of them, because it means Meyer and Franklin are off the table.

Fight on!
    Denial is just stage one.
  • Options
    she's saying this publicly but we?'ll know the truf if/when they hire urbs.