Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Triumphs of Troy, Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

There continue to be questions about the future of five-star Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei quarterback Bryce Young and whether his commitment will hold. Losing Young would be a gigantic blow to a recruiting class that has Young, one four-star prospect and 10 three-star recruits.

If Young were to de-commit, it would be a big blow as Young is the only current Trojans’ commit ranked inside the 247Sports Top 247. It would also be a big blow because of the connection he has with other players in the 2020 class. Throughout the tumultuous offseason, the chance to play with Young was one of the major selling points for recruits, particularly offensive skill players.

Bunch of CBs to Bama today
    Biggins:

“There has been a lot of speculation on it for some time obviously. I think it was only a matter of time before you saw a few CBs roll in for Bama and the way it works, once one person does, the floodgates open lol. Bama has been on Bryce very hard for some time now and the family is listening. Until there's an official decommitment, I'm not ready to do a CB for a player, any player for that matter, just kind of my personal policy out of respect to the player but there is smoke to the fire and I don't think that's a shock to anyone on this board.”

USC Mod:

“Bryce has hung in there for longer than I thought he would. We'll see what happens.”

Biggins:

“I think (hiring Urban) would have a big impact for sure, timing is key, the new early Dec signing period hurts a little, doesn't give a lot of time for players who plan to sign early to A) see who new coach will be in the event there is a change and B) get to know the new coach and staff once there is a change, again speaking hypothetically of course. There is literally only a few weeks between the end of the season and the early signing period”

Wiltfong:

"The buzz regarding Bryce Young’s recruitment dating back to summer and The Opening Finals has been strong around Alabama and that remains true, if not moreso today. Outside of emotional ties to USC (relationship with their coaches, location to home and family), Alabama appears to lead in every other regard for the ballyhooed passer. From relationship with Steve Sarkisian to regular dialogue with Nick Saban and company to opportunity to play as a true freshman for a national title contender, it has everything Young and his family are looking for in a football program."

Biggins:

“The family has been in internal discussions for awhile on this. There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding Bryce and USC. Some have speculated with true freshman Kedon Slovis emerging, that could push Bryce out or JT Daniels redshirting this year and now being in the same class essentially would play a role but neither are really true. Bryce isn't afraid to compete with either player. For Bryce, he's all about trying to find the place where he can develop the best, have the best chance for on-field success and then ultimately, what school gives him the best shot at making the NFL. Coaching stability is obviously HUGE here as well and Sark and Saban have done an unbelievable job recruiting him and have been on him harder than any other school. That along with the fact they see a program that will always be loaded at the WR and OL positions and a depth chart that is pretty friendly have Bama in a pretty enviable spot right now.”
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

There continue to be questions about the future of five-star Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei quarterback Bryce Young and whether his commitment will hold. Losing Young would be a gigantic blow to a recruiting class that has Young, one four-star prospect and 10 three-star recruits.

If Young were to de-commit, it would be a big blow as Young is the only current Trojans’ commit ranked inside the 247Sports Top 247. It would also be a big blow because of the connection he has with other players in the 2020 class. Throughout the tumultuous offseason, the chance to play with Young was one of the major selling points for recruits, particularly offensive skill players.

Bunch of CBs to Bama today
    Biggins:

“There has been a lot of speculation on it for some time obviously. I think it was only a matter of time before you saw a few CBs roll in for Bama and the way it works, once one person does, the floodgates open lol. Bama has been on Bryce very hard for some time now and the family is listening. Until there's an official decommitment, I'm not ready to do a CB for a player, any player for that matter, just kind of my personal policy out of respect to the player but there is smoke to the fire and I don't think that's a shock to anyone on this board.”

USC Mod:

“Bryce has hung in there for longer than I thought he would. We'll see what happens.”

Biggins:

“I think (hiring Urban) would have a big impact for sure, timing is key, the new early Dec signing period hurts a little, doesn't give a lot of time for players who plan to sign early to A) see who new coach will be in the event there is a change and B) get to know the new coach and staff once there is a change, again speaking hypothetically of course. There is literally only a few weeks between the end of the season and the early signing period”

Wiltfong:

"The buzz regarding Bryce Young’s recruitment dating back to summer and The Opening Finals has been strong around Alabama and that remains true, if not moreso today. Outside of emotional ties to USC (relationship with their coaches, location to home and family), Alabama appears to lead in every other regard for the ballyhooed passer. From relationship with Steve Sarkisian to regular dialogue with Nick Saban and company to opportunity to play as a true freshman for a national title contender, it has everything Young and his family are looking for in a football program."

Biggins:

“The family has been in internal discussions for awhile on this. There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding Bryce and USC. Some have speculated with true freshman Kedon Slovis emerging, that could push Bryce out or JT Daniels redshirting this year and now being in the same class essentially would play a role but neither are really true. Bryce isn't afraid to compete with either player. For Bryce, he's all about trying to find the place where he can develop the best, have the best chance for on-field success and then ultimately, what school gives him the best shot at making the NFL. Coaching stability is obviously HUGE here as well and Sark and Saban have done an unbelievable job recruiting him and have been on him harder than any other school. That along with the fact they see a program that will always be loaded at the WR and OL positions and a depth chart that is pretty friendly have Bama in a pretty enviable spot right now.”
    i have some much respect for sark for being so mediocre, but still able to fail up. he is a true inspiration
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    The Bag just showed up in Cali.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2019

USC as underdog 13 tims in 4ish year, that should be fireable.

And we? were one of the two. FYFMFE>
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,431
    Can't wait to see USC's version of the Air Raid against Jimmy Lake's secondary next week.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2019
    I watched the Utah game and Urb looks bored as hell already. Maybe we get lucky and he goes to Michigan for some reason?
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,015
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    im still surprised people think trooj will make competent AD AND football coaching hires.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    and even better...Plaschke (LA Times guy who covers USC most of the time) believes that the Utah win bought Helton at least the end of this year!!!!

• Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    With USC hopping on a charter Friday afternoon, less than 24 hours before the kickoff in Seattle with a 1000-mile flight ahead of the Trojans, it seems another case of cutting it short on a road trip. They’ll barely be in Seattle in time to meet the NFL’s 18-hour deadline for the visiting team to be on site.

We know Clay Helton said he showed the USC players that film of USC’s upset of a playoff-bound UW team in 2016 to get them familiar with the scene at scenic Husky Stadium. Now for us, we’d prefer leaving in the morning after a walk-through at USC and then head to Husky Stadium directly from the airport on the way to the team hotel.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

With USC hopping on a charter Friday afternoon, less than 24 hours before the kickoff in Seattle with a 1000-mile flight ahead of the Trojans, it seems another case of cutting it short on a road trip. They’ll barely be in Seattle in time to meet the NFL’s 18-hour deadline for the visiting team to be on site.

We know Clay Helton said he showed the USC players that film of USC’s upset of a playoff-bound UW team in 2016 to get them familiar with the scene at scenic Husky Stadium. Now for us, we’d prefer leaving in the morning after a walk-through at USC and then head to Husky Stadium directly from the airport on the way to the team hotel.

No joke, one of the year's USC lost up in Corvallis (I think 2008?)--they flew up the morning of the game (it was a Thursday night game). Classic trooj hubris
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:
    dnc said:
    That’s exactly what would happen. Del Rio isn’t doing anything special. It’s Urban or bust for USC. The others will only marginally improve them.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Bryce Young is tiny. He’s not starting at Alabama as a freshman. He’ll be in the portal by year 2 or 3.

Them stars doe