Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Drama / Crime (Elite 8) - #1 The Godfather Part I vs #2 The Godfather Part II

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Drama / Crime (Elite 8) - #1 The Godfather Part I vs #2 The Godfather Part II 36 votes

#1 The Godfather Part I
30%
PurpleBazechuckTequillabiak1Bad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinhuskyhooliganDoog_de_Jourpurplesweatsjhfstyle24BeerThirty 11 votes
#2 The Godfather Part II
69%
DerekJohnsonRaceBannonBennyBeaverRoadDawg55Dennis_DeYoungYouKnowItdncalumni94creepycougdfleaPurpleThrobberDooglesKaepskneeseatownfunkspudenWilliams3BearsWiinNEsnake12YellowSnowMammaJamma 25 votes

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,698
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    #2 The Godfather Part II
    Voted!
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 The Godfather Part I
    I dont see why Frankie Five Fingers had to die, and that decides my vote.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Godfather Part II

Voted!

You are a wise philosopher king and a gentleman and a scholar.
    #2 The Godfather Part II

Mea culpa...in hindsight I probably should’ve recommended that the seeding of these two been swapped...not that it really mattered as it was chinevitable that these two films would go to the mattresses.

Still, I think G1 has probably the BEST opening of any film (maybe second to the cold open of The Spy That Loved Me ;) ).

I believe in America...

https://youtu.be/OIBpHO1gZgQ

Well stated. To the mattresses. Well done.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 The Godfather Part I

Godfather II starting to roll! I'm know I'm boring and cliche and think what society tells me to think- i.e., Godfather I and II are the two greatest films ever made.

W/o the early Vito scenes, II probably doesn't win, but De Niro was so skrong here that it makes Part II the easy call.

Even the Simpsons confirmed this...

"That's-a nice-a doughnut".
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #1 The Godfather Part I
    I is the original and the GOAT ... here's why

1) The opening sequence around Connie's wedding that lasted in the 20-30 minute range is EASILY the best opening of a movie in history ... compare the opening from GF1 vs GF2 ... it's not even close

2) "Making an offer that he can't refuse" ... yep, that's pretty much the greatest

3) Family dynamics and Sonny Corleone ...

4) The transformation of Michael Corleone

5) Brando vs DeNiro ... both truly epic performances

There are parts of both movies that drag a bit ... in I it's the Michael being exiled to Sicily component and in II it's the government hearing part

I'd pick II over any other movie in this bracket ... but on the whole, when I see I on I stop everything and watch ... when I see II I may stop and watch. I is as close to as perfect of a movie as has ever been made and it has to be considered that the foundation from I makes II what it is.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 The Godfather Part I
    Tequilla said:

1) The opening sequence around Connie's wedding that lasted in the 20-30 minute range is EASILY the best opening of a movie in history ... compare the opening from GF1 vs GF2 ... it's not even close

2) "Making an offer that he can't refuse" ... yep, that's pretty much the greatest

There are parts of both movies that drag a bit ... in I it's the Michael being exiled to Sicily component and in II it's the government hearing part

I'd pick II over any other movie in this bracket ... but on the whole, when I see I on I stop everything and watch ... when I see II I may stop and watch. I is as close to as perfect of a movie as has ever been made and it has to be considered that the foundation from I makes II what it is.

Full agree. There are more parts in II that drag for me. If I'm flipping channels and find both movies playing, I'll settle in and watch the first every time.
    #2 The Godfather Part II
    chuck said:

Tequilla said:

Full agree. There are more parts in II that drag for me. If I'm flipping channels and find both movies playing, I'll settle in and watch the first every time.
    I agree, but to add some powder to the idea that I is the GOAT, the Sicily component is money. I fucking loved it. Mike getting back to his roots is what would portend his rise to the head of the family. Plus the girl, plus the set-up for Fabrizio ... you forget he got away until in II when they slide in the scene where Michael has him tracked down all those years later.

The only part that dragged on for me was the Senate committee hearings ... that got a little tedious, and having Tom act as counsel there was a bit unrealistic. Not horrible, but definitely if I were to omit anything from either I or II it would be the hearings.

OTOH, II has that whole part set in Cuba, which is fantastic ... of course.
    #1 The Godfather Part I
    For as great as DeNiro was in II ... Brando was that much better in I
    #1 The Godfather Part I
    dnc said:

Michael has his own fucking brother swim with the fishes in the Godfather II.

That was the most gangster move in the whole damn series.

Doesn't hurt that Fredo was a fucking dreckfest.

Given Fredo’s actions, who wouldn’t have made him swim with the fishes?