Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jacob mfin Eason

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

Amazing to think Georgia lost this game.

That’s the greatest throw I have ever seen...
    https://youtu.be/YfJWCBboCYc
    Dude, count the yards. That's 75 yds. in the air, and he caught it high. That thing was going to land 2 yds. in the endzone.

Yes, IS could chuck it.

And run the 100 meters in 10.4 seconds.

And was drafted by MLB even though he declined to play besball at UW.

Please name someone else you know who has all three of those to the degree Stanback did.

Kid was wasted here, and I'll keep arguing this for the rest of my life - vastly underappreciated. A reasonable debate can be made that IS is the best pure athlete to ever suit up for Washington. And a full 80% of the fan base doesn't even remember him.

No, I don't know him in real life. But thanks for getting me started on this again.
    You and I represent most of his fan club. The fucking guy was surrounded by 2* talent (not Chambers though he could've been great), back to back 1* coaching staffs, and a fucking retarded fan base. That staff had no idea how to use him and never really wanted to use him in the first place.
    It's a shame. He's in the legitimate 'freak' athlete category, a term that gets thrown around much too loosely. I honestly am sitting here and cannot think of another player from any team that had that combination of arm strength and speed. I understand from people who watched him play at Garfield that his throws from the outfield to home plate were flatly ridiculous. His throws would catch kids tagging up from 3rd 3 and 4 strides away from the plate ... like "no fucking chance buddy" throws. Dave Parker throws from a kid who was a legitimate Pac 10 sprinter. Who could also play QB - small detail.

What bothered me the most was how much we? slobbered over Jake Lockner on the basis of his overall athleticism ... the very same platform that IS presented. I could see if you have a bias for accurate pocket guys in the tradition of Pelluer and Chandler ... but if you love Jack Lockner you ought to be in our fan club. People only hypothesized that Lockner could have been a safety or running back ... Stanback had to actually reinvent himself as a receiver in the NFL - and he actually did it.
    I mean Jake ran 172 times for damn near 6 yards a carry and 13 TDs. As a freshman.

Isaiah never did anything close to that.

Obviously he never got to run the spread option and maybe he could have had those kind of results if he did. But for Jake it wasn't hypothetical athleticism, it was demonstrated athleticism.

I don't agree that it's primarily racism that caused Jake to get so much more attention. It was the fact he was a state champion in HS which allowed him to have more hype coming in and the fact his freshman year was so damn productive (as a runner).

IS had neither of those things to create hype.

He's definitely under appreciated. And Jake's definitely overrated. But there were reasons for both without having to play the race card.
    I used to play the race card on this one, but I've backed off from it in recent years because I know my city is pretty progressive and enlightened on such matters. Especially when compared to places like the soufeastern US and the Willamette Valley, from whence fuck face and his band of hillbillies hail. I think there could be some related cultural undertones there - Garfield is our inner city and Ferndale is our bible belt. That kind of shit. And Lockner had that hackneyed Farm Boy shit routine going that Keith Jackson would have lopped up like a thirsty dog. IS was all city.

As far as comparing careers, Stanback's numbers are not going to match Lockner's. We? know that. But ...

He ended up ranked in numerous school career and single-season statistical categories: second in career passing yards per completion with 14.38; third in career rushing yards by a quarterback with 794; fourth in career yards of total offense per game with 6.16; sixth in career passing yards per attempt with 7.40; sixth in career rushing attempts by a quarterback with 234; tenth in career total offense with 4,662 yards; eleventh in career passing with 3,868 yards; eleventh in career attempts with 523; 12th in career completions with 269; 14th in career touchdown passes with 22.

despite only playing QB full time his junior and senior seasons for a then-retarded program. While he was waiting his turn, he was playing WR, not preparing to be a QB.

I honestly don't disagree with any of that.

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

Dude, count the yards. That's 75 yds. in the air, and he caught it high. That thing was going to land 2 yds. in the endzone.

Yes, IS could chuck it.

Please name someone else you know who has all three of those to the degree Stanback did.

Kid was wasted here, and I'll keep arguing this for the rest of my life - vastly underappreciated. A reasonable debate can be made that IS is the best pure athlete to ever suit up for Washington. And a full 80% of the fan base doesn't even remember him.

No, I don't know him in real life. But thanks for getting me started on this again.
    You and I represent most of his fan club. The fucking guy was surrounded by 2* talent (not Chambers though he could've been great), back to back 1* coaching staffs, and a fucking retarded fan base. That staff had no idea how to use him and never really wanted to use him in the first place.
    And still, if not for that snapped ankle at Oregon State he might have left a legacy here.
    At Hussy (lol) Stadium. Race and I were there.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

Yes, IS could chuck it.

It's a shame. He's in the legitimate 'freak' athlete category, a term that gets thrown around much too loosely. I honestly am sitting here and cannot think of another player from any team that had that combination of arm strength and speed. I understand from people who watched him play at Garfield that his throws from the outfield to home plate were flatly ridiculous. His throws would catch kids tagging up from 3rd 3 and 4 strides away from the plate ... like "no fucking chance buddy" throws. Dave Parker throws from a kid who was a legitimate Pac 10 sprinter. Who could also play QB - small detail.

What bothered me the most was how much we? slobbered over Jake Lockner on the basis of his overall athleticism ... the very same platform that IS presented. I could see if you have a bias for accurate pocket guys in the tradition of Pelluer and Chandler ... but if you love Jack Lockner you ought to be in our fan club. People only hypothesized that Lockner could have been a safety or running back ... Stanback had to actually reinvent himself as a receiver in the NFL - and he actually did it.
    I mean Jake ran 172 times for damn near 6 yards a carry and 13 TDs. As a freshman.

Obviously he never got to run the spread option and maybe he could have had those kind of results if he did. But for Jake it wasn't hypothetical athleticism, it was demonstrated athleticism.

I don't agree that it's primarily racism that caused Jake to get so much more attention. It was the fact he was a state champion in HS which allowed him to have more hype coming in and the fact his freshman year was so damn productive (as a runner).

He's definitely under appreciated. And Jake's definitely overrated. But there were reasons for both without having to play the race card.
    Isaiah didn’t have much wiggle at all. Straight line speed. He started too far behind by playing for Garfield to ever master the nuances of playing QB. Not to mention, he wasn’t very accurate.

Obviously he would have been better playing for a good program, but I don’t think he would have been a star anywhere.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Being on Dawgman at that time there was a lot of Stanback hate and as usual it was to prop up Ty and due to racism. The doogs all said how Ty was going to recruit Black talent and all he did was turn the team white and shitty

No way Lockner gets the pub he got if he was Black. He sucked

Creepy is right about IS. Fucking waste
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

dnc said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

Yes, IS could chuck it.

Isaiah didn’t have much wiggle at all. Straight line speed. He started too far behind by playing for Garfield to ever master the nuances of playing QB. Not to mention, he wasn’t very accurate.

Obviously he would have been better playing for a good program, but I don’t think he would have been a star anywhere.
    Was Jack Lockner? I know the big boy out pattern was a throw he struggled with as but one example.

Also, I don't recall Stanback having accuracy issues. Is that a real thing or urban legend?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

Yes, IS could chuck it.

Was Jack Lockner? I know the big boy out pattern was a throw he struggled with as but one example.

Also, I don't recall Stanback having accuracy issues. Is that a real thing or urban legend?
    It's a little of both. He wasn't statistically accurate QB. His throwing accuracy was fine though. He didn't miss open guys. He had to throw the ball away a ton and most of them were not throwaways that many fans would recognize. They werr auto throw, zero read, out patterns and hitches to hopelessly blanketed receivers. The offense was such a train wreck then. IS was actually good at protecting the ball, and throwing balls where the defense couldn't reach them frequently meant the receivers couldn't either.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Gladstone said:

Nice pic. Which one is your starting QB this year?
  • Options
    bigccbigcc Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    There's a comment on reddit in r/cfb in the thread about Eason transferring by a Georgia fan talking about how Eason fucked his friends gf and how distraught it had made him

Imagine little dick browning trying to cuck some goober
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

bigcc said:

Regarding stanback, the dude was raw AF, but had the tools you can't teach to be a game changer at the nfl level

It's a travesty how the coaching staff failed him, I can only imagine how bitter I would be coming to terms with it

I talked personally to a couple of players on Willingham teams, and they don't hold back on their disdain for the way he ran the team

That that this is new information or anything

Maybe DJ could interview some of these players and write a book about the Willingham years.
    Stop plagiarism PUPs chit, fucko!
    Always!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

The best part about this play is that Ty wanted him to take a knee.
    Yep. I read a little when I searched up the clip yesterday. Lappano apparently felt the same. He said Stanback had told him he could throw it 80 yards but that he didn't believe him. He was walking out as the play happened.

I remember doing some 8th grade geometry and coming up with about 73 yards in the air at the catch point. The exact spots of the release and catch are debatable due to the camera angle, but thats pretty close. He caught it pretty high so it would have gone 74 or 75 if allowed to fall to the turf.

I dont know for certain at all, but I doubt theres ever been another clean throw and catch in a college or NFL game quite like that one.
    I haven't seen it if there was.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    bigcc said:

Regarding stanback, the dude was raw AF, but had the tools you can't teach to be a game changer at the nfl level

It's a travesty how the coaching staff failed him, I can only imagine how bitter I would be coming to terms with it

I talked personally to a couple of players on Willingham teams, and they don't hold back on their disdain for the way he ran the team

That that this is new information or anything

He was on KJR a couple months ago and was still gushing over Ty. Said the fans didn't know him like they did. Kinda sad.