Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Brock Bowers, 2021 4* TE, Napa (HS), CA (Offered 9/11)

Comments

• sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 761
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

I’ve heard coaches are face timing other players and asking personal and unnecessary questions about his family. He might opt not to consider them. That’s what I’ve heard and the one time I’ll address this.

Huh? Who is "His"? Who is "He"? Can't make sense of this pronoun salad.
  • UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Even though visits to campus are currently shut down, Napa (Ca.) TE Brock Bowers, one of top prospects in the entire nation, still made the trek to the Seattle area over the weekend and spent some time around the area. After returning home, he updated Dawgman.com about his visit and where things stand on the recruiting front.

"It was a great time up there," Bowers said. "I've been up there twice before (once for a 7v7 tournament last spring and then for the Apple Cup to wrap up the 2019 season) and those were great visits, but it was more focused on football and seeing the facilities and stuff. I got the chance to see a spring practice for my first visit and then the Apple Cup on my second trip up there, so this trip was a good chance for me to spend some time in the area and see what it has to offer."

While in the area, Bowers also got the chance to spend some time with 2021 QB commit Sam Huard and the two hit it off pretty quickly.

"He's a good guy and I loved getting the chance to hang out with him and hear what it's like from someone who lives there and has been around the program for his whole life practically," Bowers said. "He and I talked about what it would be like if I went there and he said we could do something special. He didn't push me too hard, but he definitely made sure I knew he'd love to throw the ball to me."

Now that he's made his trip to Seattle, Bowers said he'll take some time to let things "sink in" and then make his decision.

"It's basically down to Washington and Georgia," Bowers noted. "I have enjoyed both of my visits and now I just need to let things settle down and sink in. I need to talk to my family about it and make my decision."

Bowers said he's unsure of a timeline, but said it could be "within the next couple of weeks."

Another thing helping Washington's cause is his relationship with new tight ends coach Derham Cato.

"I like him a lot," Bowers said. "He's a great guy and he really knows and understands football. He'd be great to play for."

The 6'3", 225 pound Bowers is rated four-stars by 247 and currently holds a 0.9562 rating in the industry-generated 247Composite.

A very milquetoast write-up. Not much to glean from it. Things dont usually go our way when the kid goes home to think it over for a few days/weeks

I know recruiting basically boils down to either getting a kid or not getting a kid but my respect level for Cato has gone up a little. He's shown some fight towards the end here for a high level recruit instead of throwing in the towel. Can't say the same for Gregory, Bonerpopper or Harris/Brown right now.
    And got Moore, and potentially Yary.
    Moore was a layup. Won’t count tart until he enrolls! Kaho traumatized me for life.

I’m liking the not giving up part more cause it’s a trait not a lot of uw coaches have when it comes to recruiting
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,266
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2020
    Beno4Life said:

I have a good feeling about this one

Look, I'm all for the purple-colored Kool Aid glasses or whatever stupid Doogman euphemism you want to use in lieu of optimism, but why are some of you so bullish on Cato being able to land Bowers? He's a massive Georgia lean. Just read the two trip reports and judge for yourself. Reads similar to Chance Tucker's reports between the Irish and UW.

Still bummed I'm not hearing as much about academics and Built For Life on these trip reports than about development. Why not all? Jesus, we just set a NCAA APR record. That's how you're gonna convince a kid and, more importantly, his parents to come to UW. Clearly, Jimmy's not Pete and he's evolved from BFL to NFL development, but still. SO. MUCH. TO. SELL at UW.

Another reason why this offseason has been so depressing. Cristoballz has a ho-hum first year and lands the number 1 class last year. We have a ho-hum 2019 campaign and we forgot how to sell a school who has a record of NFL development, academics, the best fanbase in the league, and a rich history that includes a Playoff appearance and two league championships just in the last four years.

Anyway, c'mon, Cato! C'mon Sam! C'mon, Jimmy!
    4 and 5 stars generally don't care about academics. If they do, they usually go to Stanford or Notre Dame. UW would be best served selling development above all else, because that's their strength. Oregon sells flash, because that's what they are good at. Sticking to your strengths typically works better in the long run. High level 3 star kids, the academia might work better with.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    We need "built fo life ... shamelessly and win baby!"
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Beno4Life said:

Look, I'm all for the purple-colored Kool Aid glasses or whatever stupid Doogman euphemism you want to use in lieu of optimism, but why are some of you so bullish on Cato being able to land Bowers? He's a massive Georgia lean. Just read the two trip reports and judge for yourself. Reads similar to Chance Tucker's reports between the Irish and UW.

Still bummed I'm not hearing as much about academics and Built For Life on these trip reports than about development. Why not all? Jesus, we just set a NCAA APR record. That's how you're gonna convince a kid and, more importantly, his parents to come to UW. Clearly, Jimmy's not Pete and he's evolved from BFL to NFL development, but still. SO. MUCH. TO. SELL at UW.

Another reason why this offseason has been so depressing. Cristoballz has a ho-hum first year and lands the number 1 class last year. We have a ho-hum 2019 campaign and we forgot how to sell a school who has a record of NFL development, academics, the best fanbase in the league, and a rich history that includes a Playoff appearance and two league championships just in the last four years.

4 and 5 stars generally don't care about academics. If they do, they usually go to Stanford or Notre Dame. UW would be best served selling development above all else, because that's their strength. Oregon sells flash, because that's what they are good at. Sticking to your strengths typically works better in the long run. High level 3 star kids, the academia might work better with.
    Their parents do...its the sales pitch to them that needs to happen and doesn't look like it is.
    edited July 2020

Beno4Life said:

Their parents do...its the sales pitch to them that needs to happen and doesn't look like it is.
    Most 4 and 5 star parents see their kids as NFL talent. High profile prospect families care more about the relationship the coach will have with their player. Will the coach be a father figure, while the son is away? They really just want a coach that will keep their kid out of trouble and develop him to become a NFL draftee, more so than the academic part of it. To these parents, their goal for their son isn't a career in pharmacy and medicine.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    All this shit.

Parents who have experience in the NFL or are already successful will tend to value the education and built fo life shit more.

See: Julius Irvin

But yeah, parents of 4/5 stars typically recognize that this is their shot at the big leagues and it's all about selling and development and selling some more.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,275
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Beno4Life said:

This. We need to hire more Oregon grads. It's like they know how to market, or something.
    #ScoWarEagle?
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

Beno4Life said:

Ummmmmmmm.........

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1225381/#Comment_1225381
    Emoterman said:

Beno4Life said:

Ummmmmmmm.........

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1225381/#Comment_1225381
    Yeah....sorry, Jimmy is fucked for 2021
  • MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

The whole academic BFL thing was a big part of why UW attracted some of its best classes ever under CP. Jimmy is just not the same salesman as CP, doesn't have the clout. the "aura" or a track record.

He needs to figure it out.

But I thought he had the recipe??
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,240
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    MakaDawg said:

The whole academic BFL thing was a big part of why UW attracted some of its best classes ever under CP. Jimmy is just not the same salesman as CP, doesn't have the clout. the "aura" or a track record.

He needs to figure it out.

But I thought he had the recipe??
    Needs more salt