Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A brief non scientific history of comedy movies

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
In the 60's at the Saturday afternoon matinee at the Capital Theater in Olympia we were still getting Bob Hope movies with Elke Summer where the poster was hotter than anything in the movie. Very tame stuff

Mel Brooks, bless his heart, blew it all up with Blazing Saddles. It is tough today for a youth to look back and wonder why the fuck all these old guys love this shit so much. It was all we had and side splitting funny.

Then the National Lampoon guys got to Hollywood and we got Animal House and Caddyshack and even more inappropriate humor.

Airplane broke the bank and there was no turning back. Leslie Neilson was a B movie character actor who played SERIOUS roles like a doctor or a lawyer. His deadpan comedy was twice as funny because you knew that and did not expect anything like what we saw. Like Rodney Dangerfield, Neilson blew up as a superstar very late in his career. That led to Naked Gun which holds up better than any of these to this day and has the seminal performance of Orenthal James Simpson.

Frank Drebin as the umpire who realized that calling a strike got the crowd to cheer is hilarious to this day.

That opened the flood gates for the SNL crews to graduate from TV to the movies and all the inappropriate humor we have today like fucking a pie. You had to be there I guess

http://youtu.be/x-S-eeInJVk

Comments

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    "How 'bout some more beans there, Mr. Taggart!"

Never gets old.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Monty Python and I had a good laugh at you're post
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,811
    BearsWiin said:

I don't necessarily like all Monty Python, all the time-but they had some funny bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UijhbHvxWrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9DCAFUerzs
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,126
    Dr Strangelove was inspired stuff. Still bugs me I forgot to list it.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

In the 60's at the Saturday afternoon matinee at the Capital Theater in Olympia we were still getting Bob Hope movies with Elke Summer where the poster was hotter than anything in the movie. Very tame stuff

Mel Brooks, bless his heart, blew it all up with Blazing Saddles. It is tough today for a youth to look back and wonder why the fuck all these old guys love this shit so much. It was all we had and side splitting funny.

Then the National Lampoon guys got to Hollywood and we got Animal House and Caddyshack and even more inappropriate humor.

Airplane broke the bank and there was no turning back. Leslie Neilson was a B movie character actor who played SERIOUS roles like a doctor or a lawyer. His deadpan comedy was twice as funny because you knew that and did not expect anything like what we saw. Like Rodney Dangerfield, Neilson blew up as a superstar very late in his career. That led to Naked Gun which holds up better than any of these to this day and has the seminal performance of Orenthal James Simpson.

Frank Drebin as the umpire who realized that calling a strike got the crowd to cheer is hilarious to this day.

That opened the flood gates for the SNL crews to graduate from TV to the movies and all the inappropriate humor we have today like fucking a pie. You had to be there I guess

And you were there for all of it. What was it like the first time you watched a movie with sound Race?
  • Options

Monty Python sucks and gets me triggered when old men say it’s funny.

I actually never really got it either.

When it comes to comedy, I'm not terribly sophisticated. Steve Martin is as fancy as I get. I love Will Farrell and loved Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and that whole crowd. I liked Sam Kinison and Dice Clay when their comedy was original ... probably not as timeless as the greats, but I liked their shit then.

As with my tastes in music, I don't want shit that makes me work for it to much. I want it easy. When I want to exercise my brain, I read or watch a good movie. Comedy and music are my cheap thrills.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    "She turned me into a newt!!"

"You're not a newt."

"Well, I got better."

Give me a fucking break. That's comedy fucking gold right there, and that's but one little bit of the funny ass shit in the Quest for the Holy Grail. Sure, parts of it are dry, but there's a ton of laugh-out-loud shit in that movie.

Is there a 7-11 in Aberdeen?

• Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,862
    Standard Supporter
    BearsWiin said:

Monty Python seems to be more popular today, but I always thought Benny Hill was much funnier for that type of humor. Most people today only know Benny Hill for the Yakety Saks theme, sadly.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,862
    Standard Supporter

And you were there for all of it. What was it like the first time you watched a movie with sound Race?
    I believe they are called "talkies".
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    I was going to the movies as a 12 year old when the big decision was Bad News Bears v. Little Darlings.

Both starred my first crush, but I can't remember her name other than she married a mad tennis player and then became a drug addict or something.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Meek said:

I was going to the movies as a 12 year old when the big decision was Bad News Bears v. Little Darlings.

Both starred my first crush, but I can't remember her name other than she married a mad tennis player and then became a drug addict or something.

McEnroe was married to Tatum O'Neal, the daughter of actor Ryan O'Neal, from 1986 to 1994 and the two had three children, Kevin, Sean and Emily. After their divorce, they were originally awarded joint custody of the children, but in 1998 McEnroe was awarded sole custody due to O'Neal's drug problems.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,811

Meek said:

McEnroe was married to Tatum O'Neal, the daughter of actor Ryan O'Neal, from 1986 to 1994 and the two had three children, Kevin, Sean and Emily. After their divorce, they were originally awarded joint custody of the children, but in 1998 McEnroe was awarded sole custody due to O'Neal's drug problems.

Tatum - batshit crazy.

Definitely wood. Once. Under an assumed name.

• Options
    dflea said:

"She turned me into a newt!!"

"You're not a newt."

"Well, I got better."

Give me a fucking break. That's comedy fucking gold right there, and that's but one little bit of the funny ass shit in the Quest for the Holy Grail. Sure, parts of it are dry, but there's a ton of laugh-out-loud shit in that movie.

Is there a 7-11 in Aberdeen?

On the corner of "B" Street and E. Market. "B" Street - where Stewart Field is located. Where Bobcat legends Creepycoug and Mark Bruener played tuff football and laid some lumber of Black Hills League opponents.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x54923a163758a27d:0x20c71f61b74ebd03!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/7-11+B+street+aberdeen/@46.9802147,-123.8098512,3a,75y,60.26h,90t/data=*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sgxnmx-FXzmren-tltzJkcA*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x54923a163758a27d:0x20c71f61b74ebd03?sa=X!5s7-11 B street aberdeen - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2sgxnmx-FXzmren-tltzJkcA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4wZz49rnjAhXXvZ4KHej2DwoQpx8wCnoECA4QCw