Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Presenting the 2019 Hardcore Husky Favorite Films of all Time Tournament

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,838
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Airplane as a one seed is crazy.

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

whlinder said:

It is with great pleasure that Yellow Snow’s Record Shoppe presents to our loyal customers, the 2019 Hardcore Husky Favorite Films of all Time Tournament. Shout out to @Doog_de_Jour who volunteered her time to serve on the executive seeding committee!! We realize there are many glaring omissions, and already other ideas are in the hopper (e.g., The All James Bond Tournament present by @Tequilla and @Dennis_DeYoung ) . But we did our best to have these entries and seedings accurately reflect the will of the people; executive decisions were kept to a minimum. TYFYS to all who submitted their top 10 (and longer for those who aren’t skrong at Maff) lists.

And now the brackets / seedings….poles will open tomorrow for Round 1.

Hollywood Blockbusters
    1- Raiders of the Lost Ark
    8- The Dark Knight
    4- Alien
    5- Terminator 1
    3- Jaws
    6- Die Hard
    2- Empire Strikes Back
    7- Return of the King

Drama / Crime
    1- Godfather I
    8- Shawshank Redemption

4- Silence of the Lambs
    5- The Usual Suspects
    3- Goodfellas
    6- Heat
    2- Godfather II
    7- Pulp Fiction

Comedy / Satire
    1- Airplane
    8- Old School
    4- The Big Lebowski
    5- The Graduate
    3- Animal House
    6- Borat
    2- Blazing Saddles
    7- The 40 Year Old Virgin

War & Clint
    1- Apocalypse Now
    8 - Braveheart
    4- Dirty Harry
    5 - Gladiator
    3- Full Metal Jacket
    6- Saving Private Ryan
    2- Patton
    7 - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Criminal. How you gonna put a possible championship game in the first round?

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?groups=top_250&sort=user_rating,desc

I like to complain about this shit but refuse to volunteer to participate in making the tourney, that's what I like to do.
    Another look at movie rankings using Metacritic.

https://www.metacritic.com/g00/browse/movies/score/metascore/all/filtered?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubWV0YWNyaXRpYy5jb20vZzAwL21vdmllP2kxMGMudWE9MSZpMTBjLmVuY1JlZmVycmVyPWFIUjBjSE02THk5M2QzY3ViV1YwWVdOeWFYUnBZeTVqYjIwdlp6QXdMJTdhOXBNVEJqTG5WaFBURW1hVEV3WXk1bGJtTlNaV1psY25KbGNqMWhTRiU0OXdZMGhOTmt4NU9UTmtNMk4xV2pJNWRsb3llR3hNYlU1MllsTTRKVE4lNmJKbWt4TUdNdVpIWTlNdyUzZCUzZCZpMTBjLmR2PTM=&i10c.dv=3
    Lot of classics on there, but if you expect those films to do well on a college football message bored, I can't help you.
    Don't twist Yella Piss. I didn't say anything of the sort.

I did reply to a post that gave IMDB user rankings. I'm not saying one is better than the other.

This is a college football message bored?
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Shawshank at 8 is absolutely criminal
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,804
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So no dances with wolves? @swaye is going to be pissed at you yella!

I appreciate borat being added. Assuming baze does as well.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Borat was a must include. The hardest I've ever laughed at a movie on first viewing was Borat, only thing that was close was the Hangover.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    no b movies made the cut, huh? this competition is rigged...
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,762
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

No idea how 40 year old Virgin got in ahead of Dumb and Dumber, the Hangover, Super Troopers, Anchorman, South Park Movie, Team America, Zoolander, Dodgeball, Superbad, hell Pineapple Express is probably funnier than 40 year old virgin.

Most egregious inclusion and a blackeye for HH IMO.

Otherwise pretty good.

Lady Antebellum got into the country tourney.

I’ll just leave it at that.
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

No idea how 40 year old Virgin got in ahead of Dumb and Dumber, the Hangover, Super Troopers, Anchorman, South Park Movie, Team America, Zoolander, Dodgeball, Superbad, hell Pineapple Express is probably funnier than 40 year old virgin.

Otherwise pretty good.

Lady Antebellum got into the country tourney.

I’ll just leave it at that.
    This was democracy in action.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

@Doog_de_Jour suggested I axe Josey Wales, but I held firm.

Sorry. I was just pissed you wouldn’t allow Legally Blonde 2 in the Comedy / Satire bracket.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,738
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    dnc said:

Otherwise pretty good.

Agreed. Anchorman >> 40

By a long shot
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,738
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Full disclosure: Not the biggest Godfather fan. Had never seen them until about five years ago and watched them because I realized I had skipped a cultural phenomenon. Didn't see anything remarkable about them. Shawshank a million times better than any Godfather movie.

Exactly right.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Borat was a must include. The hardest I've ever laughed at a movie on first viewing was Borat, only thing that was close was the Hangover.
    First viewing was absolutely amazing. Might not have ever seen anything funnier.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Otherwise pretty good.

Very much agree, but also I get that comedy is the most subjective genre for people.

Fully expect Borat to win that bracket
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,059
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

Otherwise pretty good.

Very much agree, but also I get that comedy is the most subjective genre for people.

Fully expect Borat to win that bracket
    Nope.

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2019

Full disclosure: Not the biggest Godfather fan. Had never seen them until about five years ago and watched them because I realized I had skipped a cultural phenomenon. Didn't see anything remarkable about them. Shawshank a million times better than any Godfather movie.

You should just now go fuck yourself.

A man who doesn't like Godfather I and II isn't a man.
    You've given up the game now. "A man who doesn't like __________ isn't a man" pretty much spells out that the popularity is driven by manufactured insecurity and peer pressure. I like to say, "A man who gives a fuck what 'creepycoug' on a message board thinks is a limp dick pussy-ass bitch." It's what I like to do.

Anyway, there were a LOT of movies on people's lists that I flat out hated and yet made somebody's top-20. To each their own. Does somebody put on a lycra suit to fight crime? Then I fucking hate that movie. They sure do well at the box office, though. The Thin Red Line? I actually yelled, "Oh come on!" at the theater screen the third time I thought the movie was mercifully ending but then it didn't. And I thought the Godfather movies were sort of boring and lacked any real character arc. For gangster movies, I liked Road to Perdition better.

I notice there were a lot of gangster movies on these top lists. People seem to be into them, giving them an automatic bump. Then again, people are into John Wick, so I guess I'll just go fuck myself.