Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Presenting the 2019 Hardcore Husky Favorite Films of all Time Tournament

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,909
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
It is with great pleasure that Yellow Snow’s Record Shoppe presents to our loyal customers, the 2019 Hardcore Husky Favorite Films of all Time Tournament. Shout out to @Doog_de_Jour who volunteered her time to serve on the executive seeding committee!! We realize there are many glaring omissions, and already other ideas are in the hopper (e.g., The All James Bond Tournament present by @Tequilla and @Dennis_DeYoung ) . But we did our best to have these entries and seedings accurately reflect the will of the people; executive decisions were kept to a minimum. TYFYS to all who submitted their top 10 (and longer for those who aren’t skrong at Maff) lists.

And now the brackets / seedings….poles will open tomorrow for Round 1.

Hollywood Blockbusters
1- Raiders of the Lost Ark
8- The Dark Knight
4- Alien
5- Terminator 1
3- Jaws
6- Die Hard
2- Empire Strikes Back
7- Return of the King

Drama / Crime
1- Godfather I
8- Shawshank Redemption
4- Silence of the Lambs
5- The Usual Suspects
3- Goodfellas
6- Heat
2- Godfather II
7- Pulp Fiction

Comedy / Satire
1- Airplane
8- Old School
4- The Big Lebowski
5- The Graduate
3- Animal House
6- Borat
2- Blazing Saddles
7- The 40 Year Old Virgin

War & Clint
1- Apocalypse Now
8 - Braveheart
4- Dirty Harry
5 - Gladiator
3- Full Metal Jacket
6- Saving Private Ryan
2- Patton
7 - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2019

Zulu was robbed

Agree. The list of films that got robbed is a mile long, but inevitable with only 32 spots available.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    whlinder said:

It is with great pleasure that Yellow Snow’s Record Shoppe presents to our loyal customers, the 2019 Hardcore Husky Favorite Films of all Time Tournament. Shout out to @Doog_de_Jour who volunteered her time to serve on the executive seeding committee!! We realize there are many glaring omissions, and already other ideas are in the hopper (e.g., The All James Bond Tournament present by @Tequilla and @Dennis_DeYoung ) . But we did our best to have these entries and seedings accurately reflect the will of the people; executive decisions were kept to a minimum. TYFYS to all who submitted their top 10 (and longer for those who aren’t skrong at Maff) lists.

Hollywood Blockbusters
    8- The Dark Knight
    4- Alien
    5- Terminator 1
    3- Jaws
    6- Die Hard
    2- Empire Strikes Back
    7- Return of the King

Drama / Crime
    1- Godfather I
    8- Shawshank Redemption

4- Silence of the Lambs
    5- The Usual Suspects
    3- Goodfellas
    6- Heat
    2- Godfather II
    7- Pulp Fiction

Comedy / Satire
    1- Airplane
    8- Old School
    4- The Big Lebowski
    5- The Graduate
    3- Animal House
    6- Borat
    2- Blazing Saddles

War & Clint
    1- Apocalypse Now
    8 - Braveheart
    4- Dirty Harry
    5 - Gladiator
    3- Full Metal Jacket
    6- Saving Private Ryan
    2- Patton

Criminal. How you gonna put a possible championship game in the first round?

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?groups=top_250&sort=user_rating,desc

I like to complain about this shit but refuse to volunteer to participate in making the tourney, that's what I like to do.
    That was my thought too. I honestly am probably taking the 8 seed there and Godfather is tits. No way either of those should be eliminated in the first round.

That drama/crime bracket is stacked though, no real wtf inclusions there.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

No idea how 40 year old Virgin got in ahead of Dumb and Dumber, the Hangover, Super Troopers, Anchorman, South Park Movie, Team America, Zoolander, Dodgeball, Superbad, hell Pineapple Express is probably funnier than 40 year old virgin.

Most egregious inclusion and a blackeye for HH IMO.

Otherwise pretty good.

I wouldn't have put it in, but it made a lot of people's lists. Dumb and Dumber and Hangover didn't do as well in my straw pole as I would have liked.
  • Options

dnc said:

No idea how 40 year old Virgin got in ahead of Dumb and Dumber, the Hangover, Super Troopers, Anchorman, South Park Movie, Team America, Zoolander, Dodgeball, Superbad, hell Pineapple Express is probably funnier than 40 year old virgin.

Most egregious inclusion and a blackeye for HH IMO.

Otherwise pretty good.

I wouldn't have put it in, but it made a lot of people's lists. Dumb and Dumber and Hangover didn't do as well in my straw pole as I would have liked.
    Pretty sure I forgot to include Dumb and Dumber to my eternal shame.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

whlinder said:

Hollywood Blockbusters
    8- The Dark Knight
    4- Alien
    5- Terminator 1
    3- Jaws
    6- Die Hard
    2- Empire Strikes Back
    7- Return of the King

Drama / Crime
    1- Godfather I
    8- Shawshank Redemption

4- Silence of the Lambs
    5- The Usual Suspects
    3- Goodfellas
    6- Heat
    2- Godfather II
    7- Pulp Fiction

Comedy / Satire
    1- Airplane
    8- Old School
    4- The Big Lebowski
    5- The Graduate
    3- Animal House
    6- Borat
    2- Blazing Saddles

War & Clint
    1- Apocalypse Now
    8 - Braveheart
    4- Dirty Harry
    5 - Gladiator
    3- Full Metal Jacket
    6- Saving Private Ryan
    2- Patton

I like to complain about this shit but refuse to volunteer to participate in making the tourney, that's what I like to do.
    That was my thought too. I honestly am probably taking the 8 seed there and Godfather is tits. No way either of those should be eliminated in the first round.

At some point, everyone has to play the Godfather. If Shawshank pulls a round 1 upset then this exercise just got a hell of a lot more chinteresting.
  • Options

dnc said:

whlinder said:

Hollywood Blockbusters
    8- The Dark Knight
    4- Alien
    5- Terminator 1
    3- Jaws
    6- Die Hard
    2- Empire Strikes Back
    7- Return of the King

Drama / Crime
    1- Godfather I
    8- Shawshank Redemption

4- Silence of the Lambs
    5- The Usual Suspects
    3- Goodfellas
    6- Heat
    2- Godfather II
    7- Pulp Fiction

Comedy / Satire
    1- Airplane
    8- Old School
    4- The Big Lebowski
    5- The Graduate
    3- Animal House
    6- Borat
    2- Blazing Saddles

War & Clint
    1- Apocalypse Now
    8 - Braveheart
    4- Dirty Harry
    5 - Gladiator
    3- Full Metal Jacket
    6- Saving Private Ryan
    2- Patton

At some point, everyone has to play the Godfather. If Shawshank pulls a round 1 upset then this exercise just got a hell of a lot more chinteresting.
    Godfather II is the GOAT, IMO
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    Never seen a single one
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,305
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Full disclosure: Not the biggest Godfather fan. Had never seen them until about five years ago and watched them because I realized I had skipped a cultural phenomenon. Didn't see anything remarkable about them. Shawshank a million times better than any Godfather movie.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Hollywood Blockbusters
    8- The Dark Knight
    4- Alien
    5- Terminator 1
    3- Jaws
    6- Die Hard
    2- Empire Strikes Back
    7- Return of the King

Drama / Crime
    1- Godfather I
    8- Shawshank Redemption

4- Silence of the Lambs
    5- The Usual Suspects
    3- Goodfellas
    6- Heat
    2- Godfather II
    7- Pulp Fiction

Comedy / Satire
    1- Airplane
    8- Old School
    4- The Big Lebowski
    5- The Graduate
    3- Animal House
    6- Borat
    2- Blazing Saddles

War & Clint
    1- Apocalypse Now
    8 - Braveheart
    4- Dirty Harry
    5 - Gladiator
    3- Full Metal Jacket
    6- Saving Private Ryan
    2- Patton

Honestly, I think spots 5- 8 in Drama / Crime are all about equal. IFL Shawshank, but Heat, Usual Suspects and Pulp Fiction are all equally good IMHO.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    whlinder said:

Hollywood Blockbusters
    8- The Dark Knight
    4- Alien
    5- Terminator 1
    3- Jaws
    6- Die Hard
    2- Empire Strikes Back
    7- Return of the King

Drama / Crime
    1- Godfather I
    8- Shawshank Redemption

4- Silence of the Lambs
    5- The Usual Suspects
    3- Goodfellas
    6- Heat
    2- Godfather II
    7- Pulp Fiction

Comedy / Satire
    1- Airplane
    8- Old School
    4- The Big Lebowski
    5- The Graduate
    3- Animal House
    6- Borat
    2- Blazing Saddles

War & Clint
    1- Apocalypse Now
    8 - Braveheart
    4- Dirty Harry
    5 - Gladiator
    3- Full Metal Jacket
    6- Saving Private Ryan
    2- Patton

Another look at movie rankings using Metacritic.

https://www.metacritic.com/g00/browse/movies/score/metascore/all/filtered?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubWV0YWNyaXRpYy5jb20vZzAwL21vdmllP2kxMGMudWE9MSZpMTBjLmVuY1JlZmVycmVyPWFIUjBjSE02THk5M2QzY3ViV1YwWVdOeWFYUnBZeTVqYjIwdlp6QXdMJTdhOXBNVEJqTG5WaFBURW1hVEV3WXk1bGJtTlNaV1psY25KbGNqMWhTRiU0OXdZMGhOTmt4NU9UTmtNMk4xV2pJNWRsb3llR3hNYlU1MllsTTRKVE4lNmJKbWt4TUdNdVpIWTlNdyUzZCUzZCZpMTBjLmR2PTM=&i10c.dv=3
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

Hollywood Blockbusters
    8- The Dark Knight
    4- Alien
    5- Terminator 1
    3- Jaws
    6- Die Hard
    2- Empire Strikes Back
    7- Return of the King

Drama / Crime
    1- Godfather I
    8- Shawshank Redemption

4- Silence of the Lambs
    5- The Usual Suspects
    3- Goodfellas
    6- Heat
    2- Godfather II
    7- Pulp Fiction

Comedy / Satire
    1- Airplane
    8- Old School
    4- The Big Lebowski
    5- The Graduate
    3- Animal House
    6- Borat
    2- Blazing Saddles

War & Clint
    1- Apocalypse Now
    8 - Braveheart
    4- Dirty Harry
    5 - Gladiator
    3- Full Metal Jacket
    6- Saving Private Ryan
    2- Patton

Another look at movie rankings using Metacritic.

https://www.metacritic.com/g00/browse/movies/score/metascore/all/filtered?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubWV0YWNyaXRpYy5jb20vZzAwL21vdmllP2kxMGMudWE9MSZpMTBjLmVuY1JlZmVycmVyPWFIUjBjSE02THk5M2QzY3ViV1YwWVdOeWFYUnBZeTVqYjIwdlp6QXdMJTdhOXBNVEJqTG5WaFBURW1hVEV3WXk1bGJtTlNaV1psY25KbGNqMWhTRiU0OXdZMGhOTmt4NU9UTmtNMk4xV2pJNWRsb3llR3hNYlU1MllsTTRKVE4lNmJKbWt4TUdNdVpIWTlNdyUzZCUzZCZpMTBjLmR2PTM=&i10c.dv=3
    Lot of classics on there, but if you expect those films to do well on a college football message bored, I can't help you.