Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your top 10 favorite movies?

Comments

• Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,085
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I didn't expect you all to have as good a taste in movies as me. Well done. I'm not adding raiders to my list but it would make my top 11.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    WW2 Movies

1. Thin Red Line
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,738
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Hoosiers
    The Warriors
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Honorable Mention
    Inception
    Blazing Saddles
    Gangs of New York
    Last of the Mohicans
    Man from Snowy River
    10 Things I Hate About You
    Thoroughly Modern Millie
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    Red Dawn

Good call on Hosiers and Gangs of New York. Going in my Honorable Mentions

Gladstone said:

Piggy backing off @PurpleJ recent cinematic thread here and his suggestion of some sort of a movie tournament...

I am thinking of running a little 32 entries tourney of Hardcore Husky's favorite films. ATBSJBS, I'd like to do some research ahead of time in terms of selections and seedings. Please to be poasting your all tim, top 10 most favorite films. I will start:

Godfather I
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    Dirty Harry
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blazing Saddles
    Napoleon Dynamite
    The Graduate
    Apocalypse Now

GodfatherII
    GodfatherI
    Animal House
    Saving Private Ryan (I've watched this movie almost as many tims as I've watched Josie Wales, which is to say, a lot)
    River Runs Through It
    Good Will Hunting
    Gladiator
    Outlaw Josie Wales
    Patton (George C. Scott played that role so well that when I see pictures of the real Patton my mind wants to blurt out, "that's not Patton.")
    Last of the Mohicans (You don't want to be Duncan in any part of your real life; Magua is a fucking bad ass and Wes Studi is the shit)

Honorable Mentions

Unforgiven/Pale Rider/High Plains Drifter (pick one)
    Apocalypse Now (more of a WWII guy than a 'Nam guy)
    Darkest Hour
    Full Metal Jacket (dark shit dude; some great fucking lines in this one)

Horror/Scary Shit

The Others. You can only watch it once, but the first tim you watch it while you're still figuring it out it's fucking awesome and spooked me a little.

You will laugh but I only recently watched The Last of the Mohicans for the first time. Just a wonderful movie and definitely one of the all-time greats. That soundtrack touched the very essence of my soul. Actually that entire last sequence from the Duncan fire until the ending monologue. Jaw-dropping stuff. 10/10 movie.

I’ll be controversial and say outside of the magnificent opening scene I very much dislike Saving Private Ryan. It really slows down, and its depiction of warfare in the final act is terribly apocryphal. Battle hardened German troops just bypassing rows of houses to get to a city center? Stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.
    I thought the whole point was that they wanted to get to that bridge and secure it. Remember the scene where Captain Miller is going over the map with some other guy and pointing to that bridge as critical for the Germans so that they could retreat and regroup or for their supply lines or some shit? I think that's why they were in, what was it, Romel?, in the first place.

Then again, I know nothing about being a soldier and will defer to those of you who do.

Agreed; the score for Mohicans is epic. Pretty much anything Daniel Day Lewis touches is the real deal. No accident that he's in two of my top 10. Bill the Butcher takes the fucking cake though. Holy shit that is Deniro in Taxi Driver-level acting.

I myself liked the journey they took in SPR. Wandering through France and the dialogue about what they were doing. The death scene of the medic was heavy. "My liver. Oh my God my liver." Heavy.

But the opening scene is so intense and well done it's hard to improve from there. Watched it for the first time after buying a good surround sound system and the bullets were clanging off metal all around me.
    *edit: DDL is in one of my top ten, but recalled Gangs of New York from another list. I'd add that to my honorable list. It's just that it's so fucking long, but some of that detail is necessary to paint the picture of multi-ethnic NY at that time. Still, you have to be committed to watch it and sometimes I'm not in the mood, as good as DDL is as the Butcher. Godfather is also long af, but I never mind losing an afternoon watching it again and again.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,058
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Piggy backing off @PurpleJ recent cinematic thread here and his suggestion of some sort of a movie tournament...

I am thinking of running a little 32 entries tourney of Hardcore Husky's favorite films. ATBSJBS, I'd like to do some research ahead of time in terms of selections and seedings. Please to be poasting your all tim, top 10 most favorite films. I will start:

Godfather I
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    Dirty Harry
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blazing Saddles
    Napoleon Dynamite
    The Graduate
    Apocalypse Now

GodfatherII
    GodfatherI
    Animal House
    Saving Private Ryan (I've watched this movie almost as many tims as I've watched Josie Wales, which is to say, a lot)
    River Runs Through It
    Good Will Hunting
    Gladiator
    Outlaw Josie Wales
    Patton (George C. Scott played that role so well that when I see pictures of the real Patton my mind wants to blurt out, "that's not Patton.")
    Last of the Mohicans (You don't want to be Duncan in any part of your real life; Magua is a fucking bad ass and Wes Studi is the shit)

Honorable Mentions

Darkest Hour

Horror/Scary Shit

The Others. You can only watch it once, but the first tim you watch it while you're still figuring it out it's fucking awesome and spooked me a little.

You will laugh but I only recently watched The Last of the Mohicans for the first time. Just a wonderful movie and definitely one of the all-time greats. That soundtrack touched the very essence of my soul. Actually that entire last sequence from the Duncan fire until the ending monologue. Jaw-dropping stuff. 10/10 movie.

I’ll be controversial and say outside of the magnificent opening scene I very much dislike Saving Private Ryan. It really slows down, and its depiction of warfare in the final act is terribly apocryphal. Battle hardened German troops just bypassing rows of houses to get to a city center? Stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.
    Mohicans is a movie that people end up watching because the stumble on the soundtrack. Google Play Music has a playlist of epic movie songs, and mohicans gets a heavy play.

Gladstone said:

Godfather I
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    Dirty Harry
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blazing Saddles
    Napoleon Dynamite
    The Graduate
    Apocalypse Now

GodfatherII
    GodfatherI
    Animal House
    River Runs Through It
    Good Will Hunting
    Gladiator
    Outlaw Josie Wales

Honorable Mentions

Darkest Hour

Horror/Scary Shit

I thought the whole point was that they wanted to get to that bridge and secure it. Remember the scene where Captain Miller is going over the map with some other guy and pointing to that bridge as critical for the Germans so that they could retreat and regroup or for their supply lines or some shit? I think that's why they were in, what was it, Romel?, in the first place.

Then again, I know nothing about being a soldier and will defer to those of you who do.

Agreed; the score for Mohicans is epic. Pretty much anything Daniel Day Lewis touches is the real deal. No accident that he's in two of my top 10. Bill the Butcher takes the fucking cake though. Holy shit that is Deniro in Taxi Driver-level acting.

I myself liked the journey they took in SPR. Wandering through France and the dialogue about what they were doing. The death scene of the medic was heavy. "My liver. Oh my God my liver." Heavy.

But the opening scene is so intense and well done it's hard to improve from there. Watched it for the first time after buying a good surround sound system and the bullets were clanging off metal all around me.
    The opening scene of SPR was fantastic film marking. I actually cried in the theater when the old guy was walking through his the cemetery in Normandy. Maternal Grandpappy Yella landed on Utah Beach on 6/6/44. Not as bad as Omaha, but still...

Re: Daniel Day Lewis, he is the finest actor of our time IMHO. Daniel Plainview, Bill the Butcher, Honest Abe, etc....

The opening of Gladiator ranks right there in the "let's get off to a good start" film making category.

"On my command, unleash hell."

Can you imagine going up against the Roman army at its peak? They were just so much better than everybody else, it was hardly even fair.

You should start a thread of "top 10 greatest empires in human history". Rome would be my #1.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,058
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Godfather I
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    Dirty Harry
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blazing Saddles
    Napoleon Dynamite
    The Graduate
    Apocalypse Now

GodfatherII
    GodfatherI
    Animal House
    River Runs Through It
    Good Will Hunting
    Gladiator
    Outlaw Josie Wales

Honorable Mentions

Darkest Hour

Horror/Scary Shit

The opening scene of SPR was fantastic film marking. I actually cried in the theater when the old guy was walking through his the cemetery in Normandy. Maternal Grandpappy Yella landed on Utah Beach on 6/6/44. Not as bad as Omaha, but still...

Re: Daniel Day Lewis, he is the finest actor of our time IMHO. Daniel Plainview, Bill the Butcher, Honest Abe, etc....

Too me, Plainview and Bill the Butcher are basically the same character on different coasts.