Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NBA Free Agency thread

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,819
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:
    He'd be doing the Hornets a favor. Knicks are easy to make fun of because they're a big brand... but if we're being honest the Hornets are the worst run franchise in the league. Not offering Kemba the max was absurdly stupid
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:
    He'd be doing the Hornets a favor. Knicks are easy to make fun of because they're a big brand... but if we're being honest the Hornets are the worst run franchise in the league. Not offering Kemba the max was absurdly stupid
    Putting MJ in charge of a franchise is malpractice.

Possibly the worst executive ever.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Some random thoughts and what could be long (non Nets/Lakers centric) ...

Philly: Big losers today IMO. Losing Butler hurts (and I don't like them). Losing JJ hurts more (can't replace his shooting or threat thereof). Harris to a monster contract doesn't make a ton of sense to me and is at a level that I don't think you can move it. Josh Richardson to replace Butler at the 2 is another example of a guy that I'm not sure is a good shooter. Their other young wings (Thybulle and Zhaire Smith) aren't known to be shooters. Then you add Horford at this stage of his career that is another guy that is a decent but not great shooter. Just strikes me as a team that is embracing an identify of being big and defensive minded. But it also puts all of their eggs on Embiid staying healthy and being a dominant scorer because we know what Ben Simmons is as a scorer when the going gets tough. Just feels like a really incomplete team to me at this point.

Indy: I really like what they've done so far this offseason and this is a team that I think is a massive dark horse in the East next year. Their biggest move is simply getting Victor Oladipo back healthy. I don't think the casual NBA fan realizes how good he is. Getting Brogdon away from the Bucks is tremendous (more on this later from a Bucks standpoint). Simply put the guy is an efficient shooter that plays solid defense and for all the talk about how good he is playing next to Giannis, it'll be the same with Oladipo. Adding Jeremy Lamb will make their bench better and give them depth. The move I really like for them is getting TJ Warren for essentially nothing from Phoenix. The dude can score the basketball. He's someone that if you slot him in playing on the bench as the key scorer on the 2nd unit, he's going to be an absolute load. I think they still need to get a PG (someone like TJ McConnell would be a nice fit for them) but when you look at a roster of (Oladipo, Brogdon, Myler Turner, Doma Sabonis, Jeremy Lamb, TJ Warren, and Dougie McBuckets), you've got a foundation for a pretty interesting team full of guys that can shoot the basketball with a bunch of decent defenders on it. This is absolutely a team that I could see in the East Semi's next year pretty easily.

Milwaukee: I think they really screwed the pooch today. They were basically in a spot where they needed to go into a massive luxury tax range to run it all back and running it back wasn't good enough last year. Problem is that running it back basically means that you're counting on Giannis to take the next leap and shoulder even more of the load. I'm not a huge Middleton guy and he's really only worth the max with the Bucks. That contract is going to look bad. Brook Lopez is a nice player and will be 31 next season. If they were going to pay a guy the guy to pay was Brogdon. And they failed. I know that the idea is that Giannis is going to stay there but what happens if they fall short in the East Semi's next year? This will be a really interesting thing to keep track of next year and how the Bucks go.

Boston: Getting Kemba to replace Kyrie is tremendous. Far better fit all the way around. The only downside of the sign and trade is that you're looking at a semi-hard cap for them this year. But when you look at a core of Kemba + Jaylen Brown + Jason Tatum + Gordon Hayward + Marcus Smart + Center (potentially Kevon Looney?), that's a pretty reasonable core to go with ... particularly if Hayward is able to rebound (the injury he had is probably a 1 year to return + 1 year to get your strength back kind of injury). Ultimately, their future is all dependent upon Brown/Tatum continuing to up their game and what they are able to get with the Memphis pick coming up.

Knicks: Let's just be 100% honest at this point, the Knicks aren't getting anybody as long as Dolan owns that team as anybody worth a damn knows that it's an incompetent organization. I actually like Julius Randle but as I believe Rex Chapman said on NBATV, he's a bench player on a Championship team. It's true and fair. And then to have Brooklyn (with no history other than selling Dr J upon entering the NBA) turn you into their bitch ... let's see how long it takes for Dolan to sell ... it's the only thing interesting about the Knicks at this point.

Utah: With Indiana, this is really my big winner of the offseason at this point (non Nets/Lakers division). The Conley trade is a major upgrade for them over Rubio. Getting Bojan is another massive upgrade as well. He's super underrated as a player and will be a great fit for what they are as a team. It's not great that they are losing Derrick Favors but all in all it is what it is. I don't think most people realize how relatively close that they are to being a legit contender. It wouldn't shock me at all if this is a team playing in the West Finals next year.

Warriors: Getting Russell back after losing KD is about as good as they could have hoped for. The downside is that they are hard capped and they've already had to move Iggy to cover it and almost assuredly won't be able to bring back Looney, Cousins, etc. It's still going to be a thin team next year and the Playoffs will still be a pretty good year for them. But the upside to all of this is that I think with the way the Cap works that with them being hard capped because of the sign and trade it will help out their future tax bills once Draymond's extension kicks in. The other benefit to all of this is that Russell is still a super young, and still improving. The big challenge that the Warriors needed to address at some point with Steph/Klay, etc, would be how to get a young star into the fold to pick up the load as they aged. Russell has the ability and pedigree to do that. It's really intriguing to think that the Warriors may emerge from some rotten lemons with some lemonade.

The rest of the West has largely stayed status quo and it's really a situation where IMO you've got 11 really solid squads that are going to compete for 8 playoff spots as the Lakers obviously are going to be moving into the Top 8 and both the Kings and Mavs are ascending teams. That's not even including New Orleans who I thought has done well in fleecing the Lakers, adding JJ, and in potentially adding Favors, this is all of a sudden a really intriguing team. The West is going to continue to be absolutely brutal night in and night out mess.

I'll conclude with we obviously don't know where Kawhi is going but if it turns out to be the Lakers instead of the Clippers, that's going to be an absolutely bitter pill to swallow for Ballmer. It also might turn out to be a great day for Seattle because it may finally lead Ballmer to realize that being the 3rd tenant at Staples + being so far relatively unable to gain traction on their own building means that their livelihood in Los Angeles is always as a bastard whereas coming to Seattle could position him in a far better long-term position.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

So GS signing KD to the max then trading him to Brooklyn for Russell?

I can't keep up.

No, KD and Kyrie are both signing for less than the max so that the Nets can afford to add Jordan too
    Good call. So what is GS giving up for Russell? Seems odd that they're offloading Iggy with a pick if they're having to give up valuable for Russell as well.
    When you enter into a Sign and Trade, you essentially enter into a "hard cap" for the following year at something around $140M ... because of the obligations that the Warriors have on the books plus Russell's deal the $17M+ that Iggy has doesn't fit at all.
    Yeah, @Tequilla is right. Nets gets a trade exception, like the one Memphis just used to get Iggy.

The pick Memphis got is great. Nothing they can do about the pick they gave up to Boston now, they’re doing a great job rebuilding regardless.

I appreciate the fuck out of what Golden State is trying to do here but I am not a fan. Russell isn’t that good and he stinks defensively. They have no wings, their guards can’t guard anyone. We don’t know what Klay will look like when he comes back, if he can’t guard 3s, holy shit are they in trouble. I see the point in it, they didn’t have a lot of ways to get better but I think they outsmarted themselves on this one.

I also think this is a sign that they are not resigning Draymond. They are going to run his ass into the ground next season.
    I wouldn't read too much into it

Russell is an asset for them ... without the sign and trade KD leaving means that they lost an asset for nothing ... so that's a win.

What they get this year is that they get to see how Russell fits in with them. If it works out great, then that sets the stage for Russell to keep improving and the transition while Steph/Klay age to Russell being the primary guy works out great. If it doesn't work out, then Russell is still obviously a trade asset and the Warriors can move him as they see fit.

The Warriors are going to keep Draymond ... that's pretty clear at this point. The only way it gets messy depends on what Draymond's willing to sign for. Push comes to shove they could move him at the trade deadline this year but I doubt it. I just don't see any way that Draymond doesn't stay with the Warriors ... he's their pulse and everybody in the organization knows that.
  • Options

NEsnake12 said:

If I were a Knicks fan I'd have offed myself by now

I think Rapaport may kill Dolan

Rapaport is the best
  • Options
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:
    The Hornets may have fucked up by not trading Kemba ...

But not signing him? What's the point of them going into massive luxury tax hell when they aren't even a Playoff Team?

They got Rozier to replace Kemba ... and overpaid him but whatever.

They just need to clear out all of the bad contracts that they have and bottom out. The biggest problem that they have is that they are always trying to be competitive but never to the point of actually being good.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

So GS signing KD to the max then trading him to Brooklyn for Russell?

I can't keep up.

No, KD and Kyrie are both signing for less than the max so that the Nets can afford to add Jordan too
    Good call. So what is GS giving up for Russell? Seems odd that they're offloading Iggy with a pick if they're having to give up valuable for Russell as well.
    When you enter into a Sign and Trade, you essentially enter into a "hard cap" for the following year at something around $140M ... because of the obligations that the Warriors have on the books plus Russell's deal the $17M+ that Iggy has doesn't fit at all.
    Yeah, @Tequilla is right. Nets gets a trade exception, like the one Memphis just used to get Iggy.

The pick Memphis got is great. Nothing they can do about the pick they gave up to Boston now, they’re doing a great job rebuilding regardless.

I appreciate the fuck out of what Golden State is trying to do here but I am not a fan. Russell isn’t that good and he stinks defensively. They have no wings, their guards can’t guard anyone. We don’t know what Klay will look like when he comes back, if he can’t guard 3s, holy shit are they in trouble. I see the point in it, they didn’t have a lot of ways to get better but I think they outsmarted themselves on this one.

I also think this is a sign that they are not resigning Draymond. They are going to run his ass into the ground next season.
    I wouldn't read too much into it

Russell is an asset for them ... without the sign and trade KD leaving means that they lost an asset for nothing ... so that's a win.

What they get this year is that they get to see how Russell fits in with them. If it works out great, then that sets the stage for Russell to keep improving and the transition while Steph/Klay age to Russell being the primary guy works out great. If it doesn't work out, then Russell is still obviously a trade asset and the Warriors can move him as they see fit.

The Warriors are going to keep Draymond ... that's pretty clear at this point. The only way it gets messy depends on what Draymond's willing to sign for. Push comes to shove they could move him at the trade deadline this year but I doubt it. I just don't see any way that Draymond doesn't stay with the Warriors ... he's their pulse and everybody in the organization knows that.
    That’s a good point on being able to trade Russell. Of course, if it doesn’t work out that could hurt his trade value but yeah I find that to be a convincing argument.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Losing JJ is a big loss for the 76ers

I don't disagree that Butler isn't the greatest player off the ball ... but he has the kind of ability in him in the Playoffs to really be a difference maker. Nobody else on their roster besides Embiid can do that for me.

Admittedly, I'm not a Ben Simmons fan ... he's got to get significantly better (particularly as a shooter) before I look at him as a Championship caliber player.

I still feel like there is a move in the 76ers ... and I think it's moving Simmons

Is it possible for them to be able to move Simmons in a deal that can get back Bradley Beal? Who says no to that deal?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

Losing JJ is a big loss for the 76ers

I don't disagree that Butler isn't the greatest player off the ball ... but he has the kind of ability in him in the Playoffs to really be a difference maker. Nobody else on their roster besides Embiid can do that for me.

Admittedly, I'm not a Ben Simmons fan ... he's got to get significantly better (particularly as a shooter) before I look at him as a Championship caliber player.

I still feel like there is a move in the 76ers ... and I think it's moving Simmons

Is it possible for them to be able to move Simmons in a deal that can get back Bradley Beal? Who says no to that deal?

Why does Washington need a PG who can't shoot? Easy no for them.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,297
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm from the Dan Lebatard camp. Durant matters for a year from now. Kawhi matters now

Nothing else matters
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:
    The Hornets may have fucked up by not trading Kemba ...

But not signing him? What's the point of them going into massive luxury tax hell when they aren't even a Playoff Team?

They got Rozier to replace Kemba ... and overpaid him but whatever.

They just need to clear out all of the bad contracts that they have and bottom out. The biggest problem that they have is that they are always trying to be competitive but never to the point of actually being good.
    A lot of their bad contracts come off the books after next season, they'd only pay the tax for one year.

A franchise needs to position itself to either compete for a championship or to rebuild for one. The Hornets are doing neither of those things, they're just kind of settling for being a 35 win team. No great young pieces either
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2019
    Plz god Kawhi don’t go to the Lakers. We might get some insane legit parity because their are going to be so many equally good teams.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,465
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Blazers upgraded the most by letting Chief walk and flipping Baze for Evan Turner.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    People (@tequila) still think Jaylen brown is good? Jfc
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Looks like Kawhi to the Lakers. Wow
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,819

Looks like Kawhi to the Lakers. Wow

Christ, if Kawhi didn't like how Tony Parker treated him, he sure as fuck isn't going to like Lebron going off during a timeout.