Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

An Actual Win for America

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,758
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
And free markets.

Hondo, notsomuch.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-to-issue-executive-order-on-health-care-price-transparency-11561051500

Trump to Issue Executive Order on Health-Care Price Transparency

The president on Monday will call for insurers and doctors to disclose new details about the cost of care, a move that industry groups have resisted

By Stephanie Armour
Updated June 20, 2019 5:17 pm ET
President Trump plans to issue an executive order Monday to compel the disclosure of prices in health care, according to people familiar with the matter.

The order will direct federal agencies to initiate regulations and guidance that could require insurers, doctors, hospitals and others in the industry to provide information about the negotiated and often discounted cost of care, sources said.

Consumers and employers will benefit because pulling back the secrecy around the prices will allow them to shop for lower cost care and benefits, advocates say.

But industry groups including hospitals and insurers have balked at the idea, saying it could cause costs to climb if some businesses learn competitors are getting bigger discounts. They also say consumers really want to know their own out-of-pocket costs and won’t benefit from full disclosure of negotiated prices.

The executive order has the support of a number of doctors who on Thursday urged the administration to push ahead on disclosure of prices. “We, signing independently, are 3,969 physicians who make caring for patients our professional priority,” according to a letter Thursday from doctors and doctor practices to Mr. Trump and viewed by The Wall Street Journal. “We are distressed and disheartened by how America’s healthcare system is failing them.”

“I am all for it,” Maine’s independent Sen. Angus King said. “It’s an important step toward making health care a real market. I know of no other business where you have no idea what something’s going to cost, and you can’t find out even if you ask.”

The order comes as Mr. Trump, who announced his re-election campaign Tuesday, ramps up his messaging about health care in the run up to the 2020 presidential vote. In a recent ABC News interview, Mr. Trump reiterated a pledge he’d made in April to release a new health plan.

The White House believes it has authority to compel disclosure under a variety of tools, including the 21st Century Cures Act and the Affordable Care Act. Insurers could be compelled to disclose prices under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and Employee Retirement Income Security Act, according to people familiar with the matter.

It’s unclear how aggressive the order will be because of the pushback from industry, and some White House advisers who have urged a more measured approach, sources said.

Eighty-eight percent of voters said they favor a government initiative mandating that insurers, hospitals, doctors and other providers disclose the cost of their services and discounted or negotiated rates, according to a May survey by the Center for American Political Studies at Harvard and the Harris Poll.

The Department of Health and Human Services has also sought public comment on a proposed outpatient hospital rule regarding whether patients have a right to see the discounted prices in advance of obtaining care. That rule is expected by the end of July.

Comments

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I’m sorry, how is the government forcing businesses to do something, through regulations, a win for the free market?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,747
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I’m sorry, how is the government forcing businesses to do something, through regulations, a win for the free market?

So you're against Transparency and informed consumers?

You Authoritarian Nanny State types crack me up.
  • Options

You’re arguing that the government should force businesses to do something, that they don’t want to do, in order to protect the customers while calling me an authoritarian nanny state type. You’re literally brain dead.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Medical industry is not remotely a free market. It's a quasi government run piece of shit.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2019

You’re arguing that the government should force businesses to do something, that they don’t want to do, in order to protect the customers while calling me an authoritarian nanny state type. You’re literally brain dead.
    And?

How is this not the preferred option - like fucking always?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I think we can safely blame obama and co for ruining healthcare for more than a decade
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    So you are for transparency in pricing of medical costs. But against transparency in pricing for medical insurance. Go figure.
  • Options
    pawz said:

JFC.

Where is APAG and what did you do with him?

Allow me to make this simple.

You're going to buy my car. I'll tell you what it costs after you take title and get home with it. Also, if you don't pay my quote, I'm going to ruin you.

On what fucking planet would that be ok?

Only HondoFS supports this arrangement.

The reason medicine is NOT a free market is because the consumer doesn't have the option to say "no, fuck you".

This plan by the white house is literally giving power to the people. You should be FOR this.
    I didn’t say I was for it or against it. I just think it’s funny that you think it’s a victory for your ideology.
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

JFC.

Where is APAG and what did you do with him?

Allow me to make this simple.

You're going to buy my car. I'll tell you what it costs after you take title and get home with it. Also, if you don't pay my quote, I'm going to ruin you.

On what fucking planet would that be ok?

Only HondoFS supports this arrangement.

The reason medicine is NOT a free market is because the consumer doesn't have the option to say "no, fuck you".

This plan by the white house is literally giving power to the people. You should be FOR this.
    I didn’t say I was for it or against it. I just think it’s funny that you think it’s a victory for your ideology.
    Then that's on you for not understanding the ideology.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

So you are for transparency in pricing of medical costs. But against transparency in pricing for medical insurance. Go figure.

Fuck off.

If you want to conflate bullshit start your own thread you disengenuous fuck.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    pawz said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck off.

Pawz is pissed he's being called out as a political shill. Just admit that you hate whatever Obama did and support anything Trump will do. Regardless of your ideology.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

pawz said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck off.

Pawz is pissed he's being called out as a political shill. Just admit that you hate whatever Obama did and support anything Trump will do. Regardless of your ideology.
    Since we know you're a pathological liar Hondo, can you please provide the quote where he said that he was opposed to transparency in the pricing of medical insurance?
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

pawz said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck off.

Since we know you're a pathological liar Hondo, can you please provide the quote where he said that he was opposed to transparency in the pricing of medical insurance?
    Pawz has railed on Obamacare from day 1. You are better than that Bob.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    edited June 2019
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

pawz said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck off.

Pawz has railed on Obamacare from day 1. You are better than that Bob.
    Railing against Obamacare doesn't = opposing transparency in the pricing of Medical insurance

Are you blind to what a hypocritical piece of shit you are Hondo or do you just not care?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

pawz said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck off.

More conflation of bullshit from the pathological liar.

I'm not even going to call you a dumb motherfucker because you know exactly what you are doing.

You should be shot.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

When you buy a car or a house or in your case, a dildo, you know what the price of it is. The whole price, out the door. Why shouldn't hospitals and health providers have to show what their prices are?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,256
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

When you buy a car or a house or in your case, a dildo, you know what the price of it is. The whole price, out the door. Why shouldn't hospitals and health providers have to show what their prices are?
    They do if you pay cash. Show may not be accurate. You have to ask and sometimes be a dick about it which I can be. Most people with insurance don't care which is a big part of the problem
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

Same for medical insurance. Why do you support repealing Obamacare and getting rid of the exchanges?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    2001400ex said:

salemcoog said:

Same for medical insurance. Why do you support repealing Obamacare and getting rid of the exchanges?
    Just go back to the fry vat.