Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Coaches and Scouts view on UW

DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
247 has been getting coaches and scouts to give anonymous thoughts on each Pac-12 teams. Here is UW's:

"Chris Petersen is my favorite coach to be around. I love the way he handles business. Not a lot of outside distractions. He just grinds. He and his staff are all about putting in the work and getting better every day. Every staff in the country will tell you that and there's a few that mean it, well, Washington is one of the ones that means it. They just get after it. They make sure things are taken care of in the classroom, helping their guys understand the importance of having a good character and also making sure they are getting it done on the field. I always laugh when people say the 'OKG' thing means they're good citizens and just okay players. He wants elite people and elite players. That's what 'OKG' means to him. This other crap about it being elitist or whatever is just stupid."

"Their QB situation is worse than I expected it to be. In the practices I saw (one closed scrimmage and four regular practices) Jacob Eason didn't look good at all. He was late on his throws, he looked like he'd lost confidence. Is that because of the coaching or has he lost his edge? He needs to play with an edge. He didn't have it when I watched him. He didn't look like 'the savior'. A big thing that hurt the quarterbacks during the spring was missing so many receivers and the guys they had weren't really getting separation. One guy I like a lot is Austin Osborne. He's strong and faster than you think. The coaches loved his progress and I'd bet he plays a lot this year. Junior Adams should do a lot of good for that group this season. He's a solid coach who really focuses on the fundamentals. He also really coaches them on everything -- blocking, route-running, blitz recognition -- I mean, he's a really good coach. Great pickup for them."

"Losing (Myles) Gaskin hurts, but they feel like they have the guys to make up for that loss. (Salvon) Ahmed is a blazer, but he's not shifty at all. He can't make people miss, but he'll outrun you all day long. The guy I think the coaches really like a lot is Richard Newton. If he keeps working and stays healthy, he could be the next great tailback out of there."

"Their offensive line is good, but not great. I think there's some really nice individual pieces, but I saw too many breakdowns in practices and most of them were the same as what we saw in games. I like Scott Huff, so I think he can get it done, but we'll have to wait and see. I think they should be better than they're playing. They dominate teams they are better than, but when it comes to teams that are as talented or more talented, they struggle some. Nick Harris is a great leader for them. He's one of the most technically-sound linemen I've seen this year and I've been to schools from all over this spring."

"Their defense took some hits after the season due to graduation or early entry (into the NFL Draft), but talking to the coaches, they're pretty excited about their younger guys. Losing (Greg) Gaines hurts because he was the guy who made everyone better. He took up so many blockers and caused so many problems up front, it allowed the other guys to make plays. They need to find a guy who can replace him. They feel like they have some guys that can do that, but they are young and pretty inexperienced. I'll be shocked if (Levi Onwuzurike) sticks around after this year. When he's on, he's the best d-linemen in the conference and would be right up there with any guy from the SEC or Big 10. He's special."

"Every year, you think their secondary is going to take a hit with graduation and losing guys to the NFL and every year, they seem to just plug in guys and get the most out of them. Right now, I don't think there's a better secondary coach in the nation than Jimmy Lake. He just gets the most out of his guys. They fit perfectly in the system they run there. Their DBs have excellent size. I was talking with one of the coaches and he just sorta laughed and said the guys they redshirted last season, they probably would have played almost anywhere else, but at Washington, they redshirted. They are just so deep there. The guy that makes that thing go is Myles Bryant. I know he's not the biggest guy, but he plays with an edge, an attitude and I think the other guys feed off of that. Sorta like they did off of Kevin King when he was there. I love Keith Taylor, but, for my money, their best cover guy is (Elijah) Molden. He just 'gets it'. He reads things so well. I'm excited to see what he can do this season as the starter. He's had to wait his turn. Now it's his chance. They love that (Cam) Williams kid. They think he'll be special. (Lake and Will Harris) said they don't think he'll redshirt this season. In that secondary, if you don't redshirt, you're pretty damn good."

"They need pass-rushers. They haven't had a good one since (Hauoli) Kikaha graduated. They need a guy who can be a threat off the edge every play. They like Joe Tryon a lot, but I don't think he's as explosive off the edge as they really need, especially in the Pac 12 where you have quarterbacks getting the ball out so quickly. He'll be a five or six sack a season guy, but you'd like them to find someone who can be a double-digit sack guy who can also get the the quarterback to move off of his spot. I think they'll blitz more this season. I think they feel like this set of linebackers is better suited to blitz and get home (for a sack or hit on the quarterback) than last year's group was. I guess we'll see. They are sound fundamentally. Bob Gregory is one of the best linebacker coaches I've been around. He's tough on his players, but they respond."

"To me, this is still the team to beat in the conference. Until someone knocks them off, I just don't think I see anyone better than them. The biggest key will be getting Eason to live up to his hype. If he does that, they should be in the Playoffs, but if he doesn't, it could be a long season. I still think, even with average to below-average QB play, they will be a bowl team because they're talented enough and their schedule is (soft enough) to get them eight wins regardless, but Petersen and the staff there have them focused on more. All I heard when I was there was about improving every day. They weren't talking championships or winning or whatever. From my experience, the teams that know they are good don't focus on winning, they focus on getting better and competing every day. That's where Petersen has this program. Washington being good is important for the Pac 12 and luckily they have one of the best coaches in the country leading the way."

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

This is by far the most insightful of this type of offseason article I've ever seen.

I guess because it seems to be mainly from scouts whereas usually they get other coaches' opinions.

#mymolden gonna breakout this year.

INSIGHTFUL
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,068
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019
    It is a good write up but if I never see Petersen and GRIND in the same sentence again I would be find

Everything isn't a grind. If you're good at your job get it done then smoke weed and fuck co eds like Pete Carroll at USC

Have some fun Chris!
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    sounds like the season is over already.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    That's some good commentary there. Nothing too shocking, though.

Eason and Osborne are going to find each other this season and it's going to be magic.

Eason is rusty. It's to be expected. He's going to shake it off as we? buttfuck Eastern, throw his big dick back over his shoulder, and drive this bus like that drunken fucker Browning never could through the rest of the season.

Charging. Maximum doog is just around the corner.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited June 2019

The biggest key will be getting Eason to live up to his hype. If he does that, they should be in the Playoffs, but if he doesn't, it could be a long season.

We went to back to back NY6 Bowls w/ a QB that threw 19 & 16 TD Passes. If Eason can give us 25 we will go undefeated. If everything clicks and he goes for 30-35+ TD's we will win a playoff game. To me Teq, it is all about the Red Zone. We have had no problem moving the ball in between the 20's but the RZ is a different story. This is where Bryant/Jones/Spiker/Osborne I think will be the difference w/ Eason.

I tend to agree.

I think the biggest difference between Eason and Browning is just the fact that Eason can stretch the field much more effectively and that should break more big plays.

To your point on the red zone, the hope and expectation would be that Eason will be able to make throws into tight windows that Browning could only dream of making against elite athletes.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The only stupid part was the reference to injured receivers in the spring. Fuller, Pounds, and Jones, right? Addition by subtraction aside from Jones, who needs to step up his game this season.

I think Tryon gets double digit sacks rather easily. I disagree with Teq about his ceiling. Hes a 6'5" wide receiver who put on Like 40 pounds of muscle and still looks and moves like a wr. He doesn't have a ceiling.

Eason gets the preseason to get his cofidance going. He'll be fine. The Cal game is the big tester though. If UW mops the floor with them, and Eason goes something like 18/25 with a lot of check downs but a long TD or two thrown in, playoffs are in the picture. If that game is a struggle then a hard fought 10-2 and shot at another premium bowl are best case.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,631
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Lmao some of these comments. Looks like we might steal the offseason natty crown back from Oregon this summer.

Until Pete and Bush can prove they can run an intimidating offense, they cant

So speaks the pgos
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019
    I’m skeptical that they will be as good as predicted (pac 12 champs). Losing 10 on defense and the best RB is school history and have no drop off? I don’t see it. This is an 8 or 9 win team.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,171
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m skeptical that they will be as good as predicted (pac 12 champs). Losing 10 on defense and the best RB is school history and have no drop off? I don’t see it. This is an 8 or 9 win team.

Jeezus Damone, you sound like fucking Pumpeii.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,631
    Hes a qb under Peterman .

Jeezus Damone, you sound like fucking Pumpeii.
    8-4 > 8-4