Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Coaches and Scouts view on UW

13»

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    digits said:

This is how I feel about the entire UW program under Petersen: "I think they should be better than they're playing. They dominate teams they are better than, but when it comes to teams that are as talented or more talented, they struggle some."

UW should be running the table versus conference opponents because the Pac 12 fucking sucks, but we? aren't.

The only game I've seen us win versus a more talented team under Petersen is 2015 @ SC (And let us not forget that included the Sark factor).

2016 vs SC, 'Bama, Auburn, Penn St., tOSU... I believe all those games were winnable, but Petersen didn't have the team, coaches included, prepared well enough for what was necessary to win. It's on the head coach.

Define "more talented team". Because we've beaten plenty of teams under Pete that had more blue chip recruits on their roster or were ranked higher than we were.

The "more talented" narrative seems to be applied retroactively.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    dnc said:

digits said:

This is how I feel about the entire UW program under Petersen: "I think they should be better than they're playing. They dominate teams they are better than, but when it comes to teams that are as talented or more talented, they struggle some."

UW should be running the table versus conference opponents because the Pac 12 fucking sucks, but we? aren't.

The only game I've seen us win versus a more talented team under Petersen is 2015 @ SC (And let us not forget that included the Sark factor).

2016 vs SC, 'Bama, Auburn, Penn St., tOSU... I believe all those games were winnable, but Petersen didn't have the team, coaches included, prepared well enough for what was necessary to win. It's on the head coach.

Define "more talented team". Because we've beaten plenty of teams under Pete that had more blue chip recruits on their roster or were ranked higher than we were.

That, and the scout/coach was specifically evaluating the o-line in regards to dominating lesser talent and struggling against better competition.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2019
    dnc said:

digits said:

Basically, I define more talented as what you listed above: Teams with more blue chip recruits on their roster or were ranked higher than we were. Regarding the latter, in 16 games played against higher ranked opponents under Petersen, here are the instances when UW beat a higher ranked team:

1. 2015 unranked UW @ 17th ranked SC
    2. 2015 unranked UW vs 23rd ranked Wazzu
    3. 2016 10th ranked UW vs 7th Stanford
    4. 2017 15th ranked UW vs 14 ranked Wazzu
    5. 2018 16th ranked UW @ 8th ranked Wazzu
  • Options
    digits said:

dnc said:

digits said:

Basically, I define more talented as what you listed above: Teams with more blue chip recruits on their roster or were ranked higher than we were. Regarding the latter, in 16 games played against higher ranked opponents under Petersen, here are the instances when UW beat a higher ranked team:

I doubt 5-11 versus higher ranked teams is particularly bad, but I don't really know what a normal baseline would be.

I guess the bigger issue is we've played 16 games against higher ranked teams in the past 5 years.

Hopefully that number is more like 5-8 in the next 5.
  • Options
    digits said:

dnc said:

digits said:

dnc said:

digits said:

I doubt 5-11 versus higher ranked teams is particularly bad, but I don't really know what a normal baseline would be.

I guess the bigger issue is we've played 16 games against higher ranked teams in the past 5 years.

Hopefully that number is more like 5-8 in the next 5.
    3 out of the 5 games were Wazzu. So, yeah. Don't get me wrong, I think Petersen is the guy, but he hasn't produced many upsets (Sans SC) while @ UW and I don't think that can really be argued.
    No question.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2019

I still think, even with average to below-average QB play, they will be a bowl team because they're talented enough and their schedule is (soft enough) to get them eight wins regardless, but Petersen and the staff there have them focused on more

We've had average to below average QB play the past 2 years and still have played in 2 straight NY6 games.

You did. But you had a game manager whose main goal was to not turn the ball over. Now you have a gunslinger who will inevitably turn the ball over moar. He will probably throw moar TD's as well.

In Jack Brownlees 4 years, He did a great job of not putting the defense in bad spots and allowed THEM to play downhill. A risk taking QB will inevitably give up that leverage from time to time.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,336
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

I still think, even with average to below-average QB play, they will be a bowl team because they're talented enough and their schedule is (soft enough) to get them eight wins regardless, but Petersen and the staff there have them focused on more

We've had average to below average QB play the past 2 years and still have played in 2 straight NY6 games.

You did. But you had a game manager whose main goal was to not turn the ball over. Now you have a gunslinger who will inevitably turn the ball over moar. He will probably throw moar TD's as well.

In Jack Brownlees 4 years, He did a great job of not putting the defense in bad spots and allowed THEM to play downhill. A risk taking QB will inevitably give up that leverage from time to time.
    Jake Browning had a 16:10 TD:INT ratio last season. He also fumbled three times and lost two. That's a 4:3 TD:turnover ratio. Jake Browning famously rarely turned over the ball in the red zone (I believe three in his entire career when you count the Auburn fumble?), so those turnovers were definitely putting the defense in a tough spot. Oh, and there's also the famous Cal Haener action that tacked another pick-six onto the tally (at least that didn't shaft the defense...).

For comparison, The Stache threw one fewer interception than Browning. And 38 TDs.

I don't think setting your defense up for success was necessarily Browning's (or ANYONE responsible for that shit offense's) strong suit. I doubt it's any worse this season. What helps your defense the most is keeping them off the field. I'll take Browning's 10 interceptions from Eason if he can couple it with twice the touchdowns and better third down performance.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

This would have been a good post after 2016.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I’m skeptical that they will be as good as predicted (pac 12 champs). Losing 10 on defense and the best RB is school history and have no drop off? I don’t see it. This is an 8 or 9 win team.

Yes, we're losing 3-4 games with a garbage OOC and all but 1 tough conference game at home.

Anything less than winning the north is unacceptable
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,723
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    digits said:

dnc said:

digits said:

Who cares about polls.

UW was favored in 3 of those 5 games. And by A LOT in 2015 and 2017 vs. WSU.

2017 WSU: -10
    2015 WSU: -7.5
    2016 Stanford: -3.5

2018 UW somehow closed at +3 @ WSU so that was technically an upset although I doubt any of us were surprised at the outcome.

2015 USC the only big upset (more than +3 underdog) CP has pulled.

2016 Stanford the only example of bulldozing a team with superior talent (by blue chips) although we were at home and favored.

Granted we haven't had many opportunities as an underdog the last three years but overall CP is 3-13 as an underdog at UW. The third win in addition to 2015 USC and 2018 WSU was 2014 vs. Cal.

So yeah.