Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What do you think a recruiting analyst makes with the services?

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Always wondered if there is any money in this TBS game at all. We all know owning a site lets you barely afford Members Only jackets, but I wonder what some of the top TBS analysts make with Rivals and the others? Anybody know or have any SWAG based on anything?

Comments

• Options
    Founders Club

Probably 75k

My complete guess was 60-80K, maybe more for a bigger name like Biggins? Really wondering if these guys are pulling down coin, or just chasing boys for scraps.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,826
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Probably 75k

My complete guess was 60-80K, maybe more for a bigger name like Biggins? Really wondering if these guys are pulling down coin, or just chasing boys for scraps.
    Chasing boys for scraps (tbs’ing) = high overall quality of life for some.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Absolute scraps. Being a generic sportswriter for ESPN (with no air time) probably doesn't even get you $100k. And covering recruiting is bottom barrel shit for sportswriters, so they get way less. There's a reason Kim had to do real estate on the side. I won't be surprised if the next Uber I jump in is driven by Eklund.

I'm not saying they are rolling in dough, but TBSing is something a stupid amount of people care about. I'd bet the main TBSers are making more than Joe shmo ESPN covering "Other Sports".
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Doogles said:

Absolute scraps. Being a generic sportswriter for ESPN (with no air time) probably doesn't even get you $100k. And covering recruiting is bottom barrel shit for sportswriters, so they get way less. There's a reason Kim had to do real estate on the side. I won't be surprised if the next Uber I jump in is driven by Eklund.

I'm not saying they are rolling in dough, but TBSing is something a stupid amount of people care about. I'd bet the main TBSers are making more than Joe shmo ESPN covering "Other Sports".
    Follow the money. ESPN has divested heavily in recruiting, to the point where they're almost an afterthought. Now maybe they're just practicing shitty business (not an outlandish thought), but I don't think they would've done that if there were enough eyes and ad dollars on their recruiting pages.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

Follow the money. ESPN has divested heavily in recruiting, to the point where they're almost an afterthought. Now maybe they're just practicing shitty business (not an outlandish thought), but I don't think they would've done that if there were enough eyes and ad dollars on their recruiting pages.
    I know @BuffBuffPass subscribes to ESPN+ or whatever it used to be called to get insider articles access mainly about recruiting. He's probably not the only one shelling out specifically for that part of the package.

I also think there is shitty business practice in play by ESPN, they dominate every corner of the sports world except for Recruiting. 247 is way ahead.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

I know @BuffBuffPass subscribes to ESPN+ or whatever it used to be called to get insider articles access mainly about recruiting. He's probably not the only one shelling out specifically for that part of the package.

I also think there is shitty business practice in play by ESPN, they dominate every corner of the sports world except for Recruiting. 247 is way ahead.
    That's exactly my point. 247 is ahead because ESPN doesn't give a shit. ESPN doesn't give a shit because they only care about monetizing their content.
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2019
    Bout tree fiddy
  • Options
    Founders Club

Back in 2010 I talked to Kim & Eklund at a spring practice. Kim claimed he no longer did real estate but still had his license in case someone called him.

I'm sure the phone is ringing off the hook.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I saw Andy Katz on NBA tv doing draft stuff

He used to be a big deal on espn college stuff. Didn't survive the purge

Listening to Dan Patrick over the years even before the purge ESPN acted like you should pay to work there. They didn't want stars like Berman because they couldn't control him and had to pay him

I think you have to make your own name and 24 7 guys don't have it
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Back in 2010 I talked to Kim & Eklund at a spring practice. Kim claimed he no longer did real estate but still had his license in case someone called him.

I'm sure the phone is ringing off the hook.
    although that may be true with the phone.... you wanna answer his emails for a day?
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

I paid for ESPN about six years ago. If you are an SEC fan they do a pretty good job. I'd say they used to break about
    60% SEC
    10% ACC
    10% BIG
    5% Oklahoma
    5% USC/Oregon
    10% Nick Saban
    I let it run a season and canceled. I would imagine that hot Dabo talk has cut into the screen time for the Pac 2 but I'm not at all certain on this.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    There is some money in the recruiting world for sure and the big national analysts are probably making decent money (60-80k). The team site people aren't making bank. Don't forget DM.c isn't just paying salaries but you know Samek is making a cut as the owner/founder. As he should.

It's not going very far.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    Founders Club

that girl is so hot.