Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Watch Talk: getting out of work edition

DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,461
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Helping my sister move from Moorpark to Thousand Oaks right now and decided to sit down and pretend to "need to do something for work".

But really I'll just add some pics of my current everyday wearer that I'm obsessed with, the Oris Divers 65.

Mine is the 42mm version with blue dial. This thing pays tribute to their dive watch from 1965 but with modern flare.

It feels incredibly comfortable on the wrist and absolutely love that I can bang it around without having a heart attack because of it's brushed finish.

The domed Sapphire Crystal really adds a nice touch for me plus depending on the angle will change the dial from blue to black and everywhere in between.

Also not really a religious person, but the clasp sort of looks like a cross, making it hard not to feel blessed and secure when putting it on and taking it off.

I can post more about Oris if anyone cares, but this post kept me from lifting boxes for about 30 minutes and it's time to go.

Comments

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Sleep in the car or gtfo
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    @Doogles that is a stunning and timeless watch. I am super impressed. I'd be proud to have something like that in my collection. Kicks ass!

I love that I am not the only watch nerd here. While you show off your cool watches I will just sit on waiting lists at the local Rolex AD. FML. I must say though, I have my eye on a TT Yachtmaster right now that is actually available....
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Needs mor douchey bimmer pics.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,461
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019
    Swaye said:

@Doogles that is a stunning and timeless watch. I am super impressed. I'd be proud to have something like that in my collection. Kicks ass!

I love that I am not the only watch nerd here. While you show off your cool watches I will just sit on waiting lists at the local Rolex AD. FML. I must say though, I have my eye on a TT Yachtmaster right now that is actually available....

Thanks, coming from the watch guru (chief?) that means something!

We can't all have lucrative careers with Orkin and baller fighter pilot war stories to buddy up with the Rolex gods and gain access.

For us regular folk, you gotta find something you can be proud of without destroying the budget or waiting for years to maybe get lucky with an AD.

The way Rolex is right now directly led me to Oris. I really wanted a dive watch for the summer and knowing I wasn't getting a retail submariner anytime soon I set my sites a little lower on their sister brand Tudor for the blue Pelagos, even trying it on in Vegas:

Now this is a stunning watch and technically superior to my Oris in pretty much every way: movement, depth rating(500m!), material(titanium bracelet), luminescence(put your Ray bans on); however at 4500 bucks you're only 3k off a no date sub.

I'm not a Warren Buffet every penny counts type, but for my current situation this would feel like a replacement to the sub preventing the addition of a sub.

Still when I returned to Sac I decided to take a second look because the fit didn't really feel tailored enough in Vegas (too loose bracelet with too pushy sales woman).

The shop here didn't have any Tudors to try, however explaining I was looking for a blue/green summer dive he led me in the direction of Oris.

You know how sometimes we're fortunate enough to hook up with a 8-10 it ends up disappointing because of expectations, but when we stumble upon a 5-7 it surprises into being one of the best fun hookups ever?

Yeah, trying the Divers 65 was like that.

At half the cost of a Pelagos @2300 retail (gray market they are down to like 1500, less if you opt for a strap instead of a bracelet) it checked every box I was looking for in a summer dive.

-Independent Swiss company around over 100 years
    -100m depth rating is more than enough for someone who will never be deeper than 10ft.
    -Duality(feels like I dipped into the vintage game and robust modern tool watch at the same time)
    -Weightless feel and comfort that can be worn without fear.

Look, I love my Rolex and my dick feels bigger when I wear it, but I probably out kicked my coverage on that piece and would be lying if I said I wasn't constantly worried about scratching it on the side of my pants, which is no way to live.

The Rolex can feel foreign on my wrist while the Oris just feels great.

Holy Tequila!
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My Omega Seamaster last saw light before the Apple Watch existed unfortunately.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

My Omega Seamaster last saw light before the Apple Watch existed unfortunately.

I stay away from smart watches because I fear the practicality of them would take over.
    Smart watches are for GDIs

(That includes non row boat people)
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019

What’s a GDI? Is that some kinda frat boi term?

What’s a GDI? Is that some kinda frat boi term?
    Row boaters don't count as GDIs. So no need to worry
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Helping my sister move from Moorpark to Thousand Oaks right now and decided to sit down and pretend to "need to do something for work".

But really I'll just add some pics of my current everyday wearer that I'm obsessed with, the Oris Divers 65.

Mine is the 42mm version with blue dial. This thing pays tribute to their dive watch from 1965 but with modern flare.

It feels incredibly comfortable on the wrist and absolutely love that I can bang it around without having a heart attack because of it's brushed finish.

The domed Sapphire Crystal really adds a nice touch for me plus depending on the angle will change the dial from blue to black and everywhere in between.

Also not really a religious person, but the clasp sort of looks like a cross, making it hard not to feel blessed and secure when putting it on and taking it off.

I can post more about Oris if anyone cares, but this post kept me from lifting boxes for about 30 minutes and it's time to go.

You’re Asian? Or a chick?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019

Doogles said:

You’re Asian? Or a chick?
    Half Puerto Rican. 23 and me shows a lot of Mediterranean blood. There are the hairy types and the tan types. I'm the latter.
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Swaye said:

Thanks, coming from the watch guru (chief?) that means something!

We can't all have lucrative careers with Orkin and baller fighter pilot war stories to buddy up with the Rolex gods and gain access.

For us regular folk, you gotta find something you can be proud of without destroying the budget or waiting for years to maybe get lucky with an AD.

The way Rolex is right now directly led me to Oris. I really wanted a dive watch for the summer and knowing I wasn't getting a retail submariner anytime soon I set my sites a little lower on their sister brand Tudor for the blue Pelagos, even trying it on in Vegas:

Now this is a stunning watch and technically superior to my Oris in pretty much every way: movement, depth rating(500m!), material(titanium bracelet), luminescence(put your Ray bans on); however at 4500 bucks you're only 3k off a no date sub.

I'm not a Warren Buffet every penny counts type, but for my current situation this would feel like a replacement to the sub preventing the addition of a sub.

Still when I returned to Sac I decided to take a second look because the fit didn't really feel tailored enough in Vegas (too loose bracelet with too pushy sales woman).

The shop here didn't have any Tudors to try, however explaining I was looking for a blue/green summer dive he led me in the direction of Oris.

You know how sometimes we're fortunate enough to hook up with a 8-10 it ends up disappointing because of expectations, but when we stumble upon a 5-7 it surprises into being one of the best fun hookups ever?

Yeah, trying the Divers 65 was like that.

At half the cost of a Pelagos @2300 retail (gray market they are down to like 1500, less if you opt for a strap instead of a bracelet) it checked every box I was looking for in a summer dive.

-Independent Swiss company around over 100 years
    -100m depth rating is more than enough for someone who will never be deeper than 10ft.
    -Duality(feels like I dipped into the vintage game and robust modern tool watch at the same time)
    -Weightless feel and comfort that can be worn without fear.

Look, I love my Rolex and my dick feels bigger when I wear it, but I probably out kicked my coverage on that piece and would be lying if I said I wasn't constantly worried about scratching it on the side of my pants, which is no way to live.

The Rolex can feel foreign on my wrist while the Oris just feels great.

Holy Tequila!
    Great story and a great reason for buying. Some advice. Do NOT be scared to scratch your Rolex. It is, at least nominally, a tool watch. They are meant to be worn, hard. And, when you inevitably ding it up, get swirlies on it, etc., send it in for maintenance to RSC every 10 years and it comes back looking brand new. Sure, it is 800 bucks, but the watch is mechanically and visually brand fucking new.

I just got my Kermit Flat 4 back from RSC Dallas on Thursday. It is now immaculate. Like showroom floor immaculate (look at the lug chamfers in the photo below). And it was running fine after 16 years of zero service. So, wear it, scratch it, then get it serviced when needed. These watches are meant to be worn, not fretted over.

Lastly, Oris is a great brand with plenty of horological chops. Never feel you need to justify only spending 2 grand on a watch. It is a beautiful watch and I'd be proud to own it. I know collectors who have 75K Pateks in a box alongside 800 dollar Seikos. Wear what you like.

Lastly, Apple Watches are for Crossfit fags and soccer Moms. Never wear one. Mechanical watch or FUCK OFF. (I am sure like 100 people reading this thread are wearing an Apple watch right now, and they all like cock)

Founders Club
    Also, @Doogles if you like Tudor, and if you ever feel the need for the LHD Pelagos (one of the coolest watches of the last 5 years imho), I know where you can pick one up for 3,500 bucks. New. PM me if desired.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Clean the pubes off your wrist
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Clean the pubes off your wrist

Found the guy wearing an Apple watch. Sorry Teq.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I didn’t realize watch talk had matured so much around here. I need to get in this shit.
    Founders Club

I didn’t realize watch talk had matured so much around here. I need to get in this shit.

Fuck yeah. You got more money than all of us. You can big baller it up here with an AP!