Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Do you personally know of a US job loss or creation due to tariffs?

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2019

GOP is the party of high taxes on consumers and anti free trade now, job losses yet or not.

And AOG believes being anti-tariff is also being pro free trade. I find it funny that you believe China has provided free trade to foreign businesses for the last decade or so.
    Where up there did I say I think China has provided free trade to foreign business for the last decade or so?

But it sounds like you went to the UO School of Economic Mysticism. Trump is OBVIOUSLY not in favor of free trade, otherwise he wouldn't start trade wars with the entire world. 90% of Republicans back Trump. Trump's tariffs, contrary to his repeated completely idiotic dumbfuck claims, are paid by the importer, ie., the AMERICANs. Now what this means is the the GOP is in fact the party of heavy taxation on Americans and not in support of free trade. Also, the "have you seen anybody lose a job to tariffs" is a typical disingenuous far right argument. there is such a thing as hysteresis. Look it up. It takes a little while for the economic policy bunging to hit the streets. Now fuck off.
    Threatening to use or actually using tariffs doesn't necessarily make him pro tariffs. He realized however, that threatening to use tariffs or actually imposing tariffs are a great political tool for the country to get what it wants. All he's doing is weaponizing the US' greatest economic strength, which is our consumer buying power.
    Lame. what has Trump got from China? Not a fucking thing really. And -- they show no signs of capitulating. Actual diplomats know that Trump is an idiot who just likes to use brinksmanship. Usually there is some concession, but the new plans, if any, don't really change anything markedly.
    China can not accept a deal and still reach their "economic rule the world" 2025 goal. The only way to get China to concede is to actually damage their economy, which is what the tariffs are starting to do. China is holding out until 2020, hoping for a new president. They know if a democrat wins, they will have leverage in negotiations, as they know democrats tend to be giant pussies. If Trump wins in 2020, Xi will rush to the negotiating table to try and strike the best deal possible, because if not, he won't survive to even see 2024.

How quickly did Mexico's president react when the 5% tariff was announced? 2 days? You don't think Mexico has used illegal immigration as an economic tool for the better part of three decades?

This is all about leverage. Right now the US has it, in 10 years (specifically with China), not so much. If the US is going to combat unfair economic practices, now is the time.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

GOP is the party of high taxes on consumers and anti free trade now, job losses yet or not.

And AOG believes being anti-tariff is also being pro free trade. I find it funny that you believe China has provided free trade to foreign businesses for the last decade or so.
    Where up there did I say I think China has provided free trade to foreign business for the last decade or so?

But it sounds like you went to the UO School of Economic Mysticism. Trump is OBVIOUSLY not in favor of free trade, otherwise he wouldn't start trade wars with the entire world. 90% of Republicans back Trump. Trump's tariffs, contrary to his repeated completely idiotic dumbfuck claims, are paid by the importer, ie., the AMERICANs. Now what this means is the the GOP is in fact the party of heavy taxation on Americans and not in support of free trade. Also, the "have you seen anybody lose a job to tariffs" is a typical disingenuous far right argument. there is such a thing as hysteresis. Look it up. It takes a little while for the economic policy bunging to hit the streets. Now fuck off.
    Threatening to use or actually using tariffs doesn't necessarily make him pro tariffs. He realized however, that threatening to use tariffs or actually imposing tariffs are a great political tool for the country to get what it wants. All he's doing is weaponizing the US' greatest economic strength, which is our consumer buying power.
    Lame. what has Trump got from China? Not a fucking thing really. And -- they show no signs of capitulating. Actual diplomats know that Trump is an idiot who just likes to use brinksmanship. Usually there is some concession, but the new plans, if any, don't really change anything markedly.
    China can not accept a deal and still reach their "economic rule the world" 2025 goal. The only way to get China to concede is to actually damage their economy, which is what the tariffs are starting to do. China is holding out until 2020, hoping for a new president. They know if a democrat wins, they will have leverage in negotiations, as they know democrats tend to be giant pussies. If Trump wins in 2020, Xi will rush to the negotiating table to try and strike the best deal possible, because if not, he won't survive to even see 2024.

How quickly did Mexico's president react when the 5% tariff was announced? 2 days? You don't think Mexico has used illegal immigration as an economic tool for the better part of three decades?

This is all about leverage. Right now the US has it, in 10 years (specifically with China), not so much. If the US is going to combat unfair economic practices, now is the time.
    Moar so because the Dems take money from China and many are already in their pocket.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Can we include Feinstein’s driver as a ‘Yes’?
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

@UW_Doog_Bot you chinned this childish ignorance? You learned nothing from your BS in economics.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

The number of migrants apprehended at America's southern border skyrocketed last month to levels not seen in over a decade, with U.S. Customs and Border Protection reporting nearly 133,000 arrests in May.

You stopped after 6 years but 7 years ago was high. Don't pull this type of shit on the apostle. Jesus.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/us/politics/mexico-tariffs.html
  • Options

@UW_Doog_Bot you chinned this childish ignorance? You learned nothing from your BS in economics.
    Bury your head further and continue to repeat that technology theft isn't a problem in a technology driven economy. Until you either explain why that's not an issue to me or admit it you are just blowing smoke. So far the "we will out innovate China" argument doesn't cut it when their entire economy is formed around state sponsored theft of innovation and sabotage of foreign competition.

I've posted multiple economists that agree with my viewpoint who actually do hold PHDs to which you haven't bothered to reply. So far you've given me a throw away line about how even though it hasn't worked for twenty years the next twenty will be different.

Yes, you and peter Navarro are soulmates.

Sounds like you are comfortable with that.

Just as importantly, are you going to speak out against Mexico tariffs? Eu tariffs? Australia tariffs?

Or are they strategically important “leverage” too?

I look forward to hearing from someone with a BS in economics who supports free markets.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Bury your head further and continue to repeat that technology theft isn't a problem in a technology driven economy. Until you either explain why that's not an issue to me or admit it you are just blowing smoke. So far the "we will out innovate China" argument doesn't cut it when their entire economy is formed around state sponsored theft of innovation and sabotage of foreign competition.

I've posted multiple economists that agree with my viewpoint who actually do hold PHDs to which you haven't bothered to reply. So far you've given me a throw away line about how even though it hasn't worked for twenty years the next twenty will be different.

Just as importantly, are you going to speak out against Mexico tariffs? Eu tariffs? Australia tariffs?

I look forward to hearing from someone with a BS in economics who supports free markets.
    I think the Mexico Tariffs are FS. Doubly so to pick this fight while in a fight with China. My hope is that instead a bilateral trade deal with Britain can be the next big thing. I won't hold my breath though.
  • Options

I think the Mexico Tariffs are FS. Doubly so to pick this fight while in a fight with China. My hope is that instead a bilateral trade deal with Britain can be the next big thing. I won't hold my breath though.
    Progress. Baby steps, but progress nonetheless.

You do acknowledge that Navarro is the trump White House economist promoting the antics of “tariff man?”
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

The number of migrants apprehended at America's southern border skyrocketed last month to levels not seen in over a decade, with U.S. Customs and Border Protection reporting nearly 133,000 arrests in May.

With Trump in the White House it can only mean one thing: Immigrants and Asylum seekers love Racist Fascist White Supremacists.

Sorry Dems & Libs, but you're in lots of trouble.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

CD's three question pathology tick has returned and appears to have climbed to four.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You do acknowledge that Navarro is the trump White House economist promoting the antics of “tariff man?”
    Sure. I think contrary to, what I assume are his claims, tariffs aren't going to "return American Manufacturing" among other things. (For many reasons)

I do think that tariffs might drive China into recession and accelerate movement of supply chains out of China.
  • Options

Sure. I think contrary to, what I assume are his claims, tariffs aren't going to "return American Manufacturing" among other things. (For many reasons)

I do think that tariffs might drive China into recession and accelerate movement of supply chains out of China.
    Fair enough.
  • Options

Fair enough.
    Capitulating pussy.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’ve seen my clients add a surcharge line item to invoices to compensate for tariffs.
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Loss
    salemcoog said:

I'm not against some protectionism, but would like to see how it's seen outside my own private Idaho.

SFGbob said:

I know about a dumbfuck who thought Obamacare would cover experimental brain surgery.

Still playing games I see. Just vote and be done with it.
    So you vote loss, but then don't explain what the loss was.

You truly are a shitty poaster in a sea of shitty Duck poasters. Go to realdawg or a place you will fit in better.
    I know of one full company that has shut down(guesstimating 30-40 employees). Also know a small department of 20 or so within my company shut down. My company has done it's best to relocate, but some will be looking for work. This trade war is real despite your Trump cocksucking.

The new war starting with Mexico will have impact.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Loss

I’ve seen my clients add a surcharge line item to invoices to compensate for tariffs.

We have subs that like to put all sorts of line items in and it's just annoying

Just put it in your price. 81% of the people wont know anyway

Are they going to put a line item in to reduce cost if the tariff goes away?
  • Options

salemcoog said:

I'm not against some protectionism, but would like to see how it's seen outside my own private Idaho.

SFGbob said:

I know about a dumbfuck who thought Obamacare would cover experimental brain surgery.

Still playing games I see. Just vote and be done with it.
    So you vote loss, but then don't explain what the loss was.

You truly are a shitty poaster in a sea of shitty Duck poasters. Go to realdawg or a place you will fit in better.
    I know of one full company that has shut down(guesstimating 30-40 employees). Also know a small department of 20 or so within my company shut down. My company has done it's best to relocate, but some will be looking for work. This trade war is real despite your Trump cocksucking.

The new war starting with Mexico will have impact.
    Of course it's real, you dumbass. No pain, no gain.

Wuss.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Loss
    No jobs were harmed during the mythical days of free trade as the world used us like a crack whore