Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Do you personally know of a US job loss or creation due to tariffs?

Comments

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

No jobs were harmed during the mythical days of free trade as the world used us like a crack whore

Case in point. $15 cheap ass Home Depot China made Adirondack chairs I leave on the porch of my place out yonder started cracking and breaking under 185 lb guys instantly. Tossed one in the garbage last week that was ready to collapse after 25 uses or so. Got a couple replacements at the store over the weekend for a whopping $17 each that were noticeably thicker, sturdier and stronger. Flipped them over and read "Made in Italy" on the underside.

That's China trade in a nutshell. Total shit quality to save $2 per chair. No thanks.
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Loss

salemcoog said:

I'm not against some protectionism, but would like to see how it's seen outside my own private Idaho.

SFGbob said:

I know about a dumbfuck who thought Obamacare would cover experimental brain surgery.

Still playing games I see. Just vote and be done with it.
    So you vote loss, but then don't explain what the loss was.

You truly are a shitty poaster in a sea of shitty Duck poasters. Go to realdawg or a place you will fit in better.
    I know of one full company that has shut down(guesstimating 30-40 employees). Also know a small department of 20 or so within my company shut down. My company has done it's best to relocate, but some will be looking for work. This trade war is real despite your Trump cocksucking.

The new war starting with Mexico will have impact.
    Of course it's real, you dumbass. No pain, no gain.

Wuss.
    We will see TurdEater. The markets are all over the place and if credit lines start to freeze up? I don't think it's possible for President Trump to bend us all over and f&ck us as hard as GW, but looks like he's in the room and taking his shirt off.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

salemcoog said:

I'm not against some protectionism, but would like to see how it's seen outside my own private Idaho.

SFGbob said:

I know about a dumbfuck who thought Obamacare would cover experimental brain surgery.

Still playing games I see. Just vote and be done with it.
    So you vote loss, but then don't explain what the loss was.

You truly are a shitty poaster in a sea of shitty Duck poasters. Go to realdawg or a place you will fit in better.
    I know of one full company that has shut down(guesstimating 30-40 employees). Also know a small department of 20 or so within my company shut down. My company has done it's best to relocate, but some will be looking for work. This trade war is real despite your Trump cocksucking.

The new war starting with Mexico will have impact.
    Of course it's real, you dumbass. No pain, no gain.

Wuss.
    We will see TurdEater. The markets are all over the place and if credit lines start to freeze up? I don't think it's possible for President Trump to bend us all over and f&ck us as hard as GW, but looks like he's in the room and taking his shirt off.
    I'm doing fine. What's your problem, little bird?

I'll bet you snapped one off to Obama daily, didn'tchya?
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

GOP is the party of high taxes on consumers and anti free trade now, job losses yet or not.

And AOG believes being anti-tariff is also being pro free trade. I find it funny that you believe China has provided free trade to foreign businesses for the last decade or so.
    Where up there did I say I think China has provided free trade to foreign business for the last decade or so?

But it sounds like you went to the UO School of Economic Mysticism. Trump is OBVIOUSLY not in favor of free trade, otherwise he wouldn't start trade wars with the entire world. 90% of Republicans back Trump. Trump's tariffs, contrary to his repeated completely idiotic dumbfuck claims, are paid by the importer, ie., the AMERICANs. Now what this means is the the GOP is in fact the party of heavy taxation on Americans and not in support of free trade. Also, the "have you seen anybody lose a job to tariffs" is a typical disingenuous far right argument. there is such a thing as hysteresis. Look it up. It takes a little while for the economic policy bunging to hit the streets. Now fuck off.
    Threatening to use or actually using tariffs doesn't necessarily make him pro tariffs. He realized however, that threatening to use tariffs or actually imposing tariffs are a great political tool for the country to get what it wants. All he's doing is weaponizing the US' greatest economic strength, which is our consumer buying power.
    Lame. what has Trump got from China? Not a fucking thing really. And -- they show no signs of capitulating. Actual diplomats know that Trump is an idiot who just likes to use brinksmanship. Usually there is some concession, but the new plans, if any, don't really change anything markedly.
    China can not accept a deal and still reach their "economic rule the world" 2025 goal. The only way to get China to concede is to actually damage their economy, which is what the tariffs are starting to do. China is holding out until 2020, hoping for a new president. They know if a democrat wins, they will have leverage in negotiations, as they know democrats tend to be giant pussies. If Trump wins in 2020, Xi will rush to the negotiating table to try and strike the best deal possible, because if not, he won't survive to even see 2024.

How quickly did Mexico's president react when the 5% tariff was announced? 2 days? You don't think Mexico has used illegal immigration as an economic tool for the better part of three decades?

This is all about leverage. Right now the US has it, in 10 years (specifically with China), not so much. If the US is going to combat unfair economic practices, now is the time.
    @UW_Doog_Bot you chinned this childish ignorance? You learned nothing from your BS in economics.
    Bury your head further and continue to repeat that technology theft isn't a problem in a technology driven economy. Until you either explain why that's not an issue to me or admit it you are just blowing smoke. So far the "we will out innovate China" argument doesn't cut it when their entire economy is formed around state sponsored theft of innovation and sabotage of foreign competition.

I've posted multiple economists that agree with my viewpoint who actually do hold PHDs to which you haven't bothered to reply. So far you've given me a throw away line about how even though it hasn't worked for twenty years the next twenty will be different.

Yes, you and peter Navarro are soulmates.

Sounds like you are comfortable with that.

Just as importantly, are you going to speak out against Mexico tariffs? Eu tariffs? Australia tariffs?

Or are they strategically important “leverage” too?

I look forward to hearing from someone with a BS in economics who supports free markets.
    I think the Mexico Tariffs are FS. Doubly so to pick this fight while in a fight with China. My hope is that instead a bilateral trade deal with Britain can be the next big thing. I won't hold my breath though.
    Progress. Baby steps, but progress nonetheless.

You do acknowledge that Navarro is the trump White House economist promoting the antics of “tariff man?”
    Sure. I think contrary to, what I assume are his claims, tariffs aren't going to "return American Manufacturing" among other things. (For many reasons)

I do think that tariffs might drive China into recession and accelerate movement of supply chains out of China.
    It's goal is to return the idiot to the WH no return manufacturing! Obviously.
  • Options

I’ve seen my clients add a surcharge line item to invoices to compensate for tariffs.

This is affecting jiffy lube...
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526

I’ve seen my clients add a surcharge line item to invoices to compensate for tariffs.

You should tell your clients to shift their supply chains outside of China. Better long term strategic move. Only a matter of time before their IP and trade secrets get stolen anyways. We need these tariffs to protect your clients from themselves.

Paying these tariffs surcharges is you patriotic duty so TYFYS. Don't get me wrong. I'm totally free trade and hate any kind of market intervention but this is a different situation and this government KNOWS what it's doing unlike other governments1!!!
  • Options
    RedRocket said:

You should tell your clients to shift their supply chains outside of China. Better long term strategic move. Only a matter of time before their IP and trade secrets get stolen anyways. We need these tariffs to protect your clients from themselves.

Paying these tariffs surcharges is you patriotic duty so TYFYS. Don't get me wrong. I'm totally free trade and hate any kind of market intervention but this is a different situation and this government KNOWS what it's doing unlike other governments1!!!
    What a load of trumpian bullshit
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,605
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Neither
    I told a bald dude with a beard that beards are for men with weak chins. He didn't take kindly to it
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526

RedRocket said:

Indoctrinated leftard! Logical fallacy!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Loss

RedRocket said:

Whoosh

• Options
    RedRocket said:

RedRocket said:

Indoctrinated leftard! Logical fallacy!
    Fuck off
  • Options

RedRocket said:

Whoosh

Here is the results by year. You omitted all the Bush years to make it look worse than ever. It's not.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

RedRocket said:

Whoosh

Here is the results by year. You omitted all the Bush years to make it look worse than ever. It's not.
    I thought the wall was going to stop people from coming across. So why did apprehensions at the border spike?
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,401
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Creation

I know of millions of job losses due to unfair Chinese practices.
  • Options

RedRocket said:

Sucks that he's kicking your ass, doesn't it?
  • Options

I told a bald dude with a beard that beards are for men with weak chins. He didn't take kindly to it

Where are the other 9 chins this deserves?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,605
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited June 2019
    Neither

Where are the other 9 chins this deserves?
    They were like you need to go to the other side of the bar

I said wait the side with the girls?

They were like yeah. I said right on.

Still didn't get laid. Sad.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Loss

RedRocket said:

Whoosh

I did no such thing bitch

I posted current results

I don't care who did what. Close the fucking border and go fuck yourself
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Loss
    2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

Whoosh

I thought the wall was going to stop people from coming across. So why did apprehensions at the border spike?
    What wall dumbass