Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Yella Piss GND Update

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Boiler > Furnace.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ductless mini splits are one of the most expensive HVAC systems you can install in the states, although they're pretty ubiquitous in EweRope. (Since the systems are so desirable and still relatively rare, installers totally rip people off around here. You can install them yourself and save a boatload of money, but you still have to pay a licensed installer for final connections and system filling/bleeding.) Anyway, they're the most efficient heating/cooling system on the planet, with some of them having SEER ratings above 30. Fujitsus are the best for heating (read: Seattle), and Mitsubishi are the best for cooling. There are some cheaper options, but not as efficient, reliable, and not worth it in the long run.

The good news is that not only would you be adding AC for those few weeks a year we need it, but it would cut your heating bill in the heating months considerably, so it's like getting a huge discount over time.

If you're handy you could buy a three-headed system that would cover most of your house (unless you have a modern gigantic mcmansion, which it sounds like you don't) for about $4K through wholesalers, spend $500 in installation parts, and pay another $300 to be ripped off by an installer for filling/bleeding. You'd be out about $5K, but your heating bills would drop in half in the winter, and you'd be cutting your AC bill in half for a month or two per year when it's hot enough for AC.

Just an option.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ductless mini splits are one of the most expensive HVAC systems you can install in the states, although they're pretty ubiquitous in EweRope. (Since the systems are so desirable and still relatively rare, installers totally rip people off around here. You can install them yourself and save a boatload of money, but you still have to pay a licensed installer for final connections and system filling/bleeding.) Anyway, they're the most efficient heating/cooling system on the planet, with some of them having SEER ratings above 30. Fujitsus are the best for heating (read: Seattle), and Mitsubishi are the best for cooling. There are some cheaper options, but not as efficient, reliable, and not worth it in the long run.

The good news is that not only would you be adding AC for those few weeks a year we need it, but it would cut your heating bill in the heating months considerably, so it's like getting a huge discount over time.

If you're handy you could buy a three-headed system that would cover most of your house (unless you have a modern gigantic mcmansion, which it sounds like you don't) for about $4K through wholesalers, spend $500 in installation parts, and pay another $300 to be ripped off by an installer for filling/bleeding. You'd be out about $5K, but your heating bills would drop in half in the winter, and you'd be cutting your AC bill in half for a month or two per year when it's hot enough for AC.

Just an option.

I think it’s time for the Hardcore Home Improvement board. Al on tool time was a Dawg after all.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Imagine living in a place that needs A/C

In 2019

*Christ*
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

Drive 30 mins south of where you live in 101.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

101, lol

Morgan Hill! Gilroy! Salinas! King City! Fuck, might was well live in Temecula

I live between PCH and the ocean, why would I want to go inland and drive on the fucking 101?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

101, lol

I live between PCH and the ocean, why would I want to go inland and drive on the fucking 101?
    Point being you live in unique micro climate and the pours of CA for the most part live where it’s hot AF and electricity is crazy expensive.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

101, lol

Point being you live in unique micro climate and the pours of CA for the most part live where it’s hot AF and electricity is crazy expensive.
    Poont being that life's too short to live someplace shitty

Unless you're Race, then it's miserably long and you can afford to waste a few decades surrounded by scrub hills and dust
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

101, lol

Unless you're Race, then it's miserably long and you can afford to waste a few decades surrounded by scrub hills and dust
    Rent free

I'll tell my wife to get a better job
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

101, lol

The weather is pretty glorious 5-6 months out of the year here 2 miles north of the Greatest Setting in College Football. But even we get 80 degree days where AC is nice.

But i do appreciate the joys of coastal California rich people living. Remember that Grandma Yella lived in a private community in Laguna Beach that makes Aptos look like the projects.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

101, lol

The weather is pretty glorious 5-6 months out of the year here 2 miles north of the Greatest Setting in College Football. But even we get 80 degree days where AC is nice.

But i do appreciate the joys of coastal California rich people living. Remember that Grandma Yella lived in a private community in Laguna Beach that makes Aptos look like the projects.
    I didn't realize that you live near Eugene

Laguna Hills is Aptos with a need for A/C. SoCal, lol
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

101, lol

Emerald Bay, Laguna Beach. Google it. No
    AC bruh. $6 million for a tear down.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nor Cal is for people who can't cut it in So Cal
  • Options

Nor Cal is for people who can't cut it in So Cal

Cut what? Carpet?

Lived in Westwood for seven years, moved away in 2002. Don't miss the place at all, and that's nice compared to most of So Cal

FWIW I woodn't live in the Bay Area either unless I was in spitting distance from the coast
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That's ok. South Oregon needs people too
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

In 2019

*Christ*

101, lol

Have a little pride. The 3 greatest settings in college football in the West are Husky Stadium, Rose Bowl and Cal. Autzen is meh.
  • Options
    You got the order wrong
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

You got the order wrong

The Rose Bowl is pretty spectacular having seen it in person finally.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

You got the order wrong

If you like inaccessible, half-empty, overly shallow bowls
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

You got the order wrong

If you like inaccessible, half-empty, overly shallow bowls
    Wasn’t there for a Brewins game.