Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Elijah Jackson, 2020 3* DB, Harbor City (Lawndale), CA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I think there is some merit to the thought that we could take up to 5 DBs in this class. Since we nearly always have at least 5 DBs on the field, we should probably target having 15-16 scholarship DBs on the roster. This season we're sitting at 13 with Myles Bryant and Keith Taylor gone after this year. I'm going to go with the assumption that we wanted at least 4 DBs in this class and will save a spot for Hector.

I think this is what's happening as well.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,617
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I think there is some merit to the thought that we could take up to 5 DBs in this class. Since we nearly always have at least 5 DBs on the field, we should probably target having 15-16 scholarship DBs on the roster. This season we're sitting at 13 with Myles Bryant and Keith Taylor gone after this year. I'm going to go with the assumption that we wanted at least 4 DBs in this class and will save a spot for Hector.

#metoo
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,901
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Chip on his shoulder?

That's. Not. Chip.
    Joanna?
  • Options

Biggins:

Profile: Elijah Jackson

Position: Defensive Back

Height: 6-2

Weight: 175 pounds

Recruiting: Just a week after saying he wasn’t close to making a decision and planned to take some visits during the fall, Jackson pulled the trigger and committed to the Huskies. He narrowed his list to also include Cal, UCLA and Utah with the Bears looking like the runner up here. It was an interesting recruitment for Jackson as Washington looked like the early leader but in the last month or so, Cal and UCLA seemed to have more of the buzz and were making Jackson a huge priority. We had heard Jackson wanted to leave the SoCal area which hurt UCLA’s chances. Cal did a very good job recruiting him throughout his recruitment but the feeling was always if Washington pushed hard, they would be tough to beat and the Huskies were able to close this one out.

What to Like: Versatility is the key word with Jackson. When we first saw him as a freshman and sophomore out of Harbor City (Calif.) Narbonne, he was more of a receiver. He was a natural athlete, smooth in everything he did. He showed soft hands, was good after the catch and just glided when he ran. He had a long, lean frame and needed to get stronger and add some bulk but you can tell he was a high upside kid. Jackson made the move to Lawndale as a junior and really came in to his own as a two-way player. He still saw time at receiver but it was at corner where he really flashed. He had 64 tackles, three interceptions and showed the kind of length and athleticism college coaches covet in a young defensive back. He’s a smart, instinctive player who can run and has the kind of size to get in the face and compete with bigger receivers in jump ball situations. He shows excellent ball skills from his days playing receiver and is good enough to play on both sides of the ball in college although we think his upside is highest on defense and that’s where most schools like him as well.

Areas to improve: In writing this analysis piece and watching Jackson’s film back to back with fellow Husky commit Jacobe Covington, the two are actually pretty similar. They’re both in that 6-1, 6-2 range with good athleticism but can continue to improve both their short area quickness and long speed. At the high school level, Jackson can run with anyone but he is a bit of a long strider at times so improving his change of direction, suddenness and short area burst is something we think he can get better at. He’s still pretty lean as well and should be able to take his game to another level with added strength and some quality time spent in a high level college weight program.

Overall Analysis: Washington is putting together another strong DB group and Jackson fits in very nicely. When you look at what the Huskies have been successful with in recent years, it’s bringing in long, athletic defensive backs who can play multiple positions. Jackson, Jacobe Covington and James Smith are all 6-2 corners who could flip to safety if needed. We still think Washington leads for Jackson’s teammate, Makell Esteen, another DB who could play safety or corner and if a player like Ayden Hector wanted to come later on, he’s too talented to turn down as well. Right now, a DB offer from Jimmy Lake is gold and probably carries as much weight as a WR offer from Clemson or an OL offer from Alabama. No one has recruited the position better in recent years than Washington and with the proper development, there is no doubt Jackson has the ability to play on Sunday’s down the road.

Hey Biggins..... I know you write your stuff up in advance and Jackson told you last Friday that he was committing. But couldn't you have edited the whole Makell Esteen part?

Friends with Banks? This could help with him too
    Excellent poont
  • Options

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a couch sale from Gilchrist, Cook, or maybe even McKinnie.

Agree, except I would be surprised if McKinnie transferred. He will have a shot to start next year when Bryant is gone. It doesn’t seem worth it for him.
    Yep I assume that's why he hasn't already hit the portal after getting passed by Cam.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    JAG but if he's friends with Banks...big boi crutin.
  • Options
    SanchoSancho Member Posts: 249
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    chuck said:

dnc said:

#metoo
    #ImWithHer #woke
  • Options

Judging by his twitter activity, another recruit Dennis does not like.

A time the argument from silence carries a lot of weight.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Ballz said:

I'm not even impressed by this kid and don't really want him but now I have to because I'm afraid of the plan D guy we'll have to offer if we don't get him. Early in the cycle we thought we were getting Ringo and Hector as slam dunks to UW at corner. Doesn't look like we'll get either. Good safety class but the corners are gonna be straight up hidden gem guys unless their Senior film really impresses.

Weird, cause
    Ballz said:

A class of Smith, Esteen, Covington, and Hector would be very solid. Not elite, but very solid

That's an elite class. Esteen and Smith are 4-stars too.
    Ballz gonna Ballz
    "an elite class" was referring to us getting Hector instead of Jackson ya bish.