Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nowell goes pro

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

Not sure he getting drafted, so hopefully he has success in Europe

He’s getting drafted
    Given his confidence and some of the comments in the article you have to think there are a couple of teams that have given some kind of feedback that they are very interested

That being said, the 1st round is going to be a reach and I do suspect that he’s going to be a 2nd rounder developing in the G league making so-so money.

Perhaps it is just me, but I definitely view staying in school as a superior option to the G league
    Maybe, just maybe, the kid hates school. That happens. Studying and going to classes and following a syllabus may not be his bag. G league, Europe or whatever may be more attractive than slogging through another year of school. Good on him, go make your money, follow your dream, you do you. BUT as a guy who dropped out and started a career as a bartender and then grocery bagger I would recommend another year and maybe some first round guaranteed money.
    Colorado State University sucks
    I agree.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    bigcc said:

He is 100% gone. Times article today confirms as much.

He's been 100% gone since before the regular season ended. Damn near every other year doogs convince themselves player X is coming back - IT, Ross, D Murray, Wroten, Hawes, Nate Rob.

IT was the only one of those I convinced myself wouldn't leave.

Nowell is long gone.
    At least half of those guys would have been drafted higher if they returned
    IT - Who knows. Maybe? He wasn't getting any taller.

Ross - Doubt it. He wasn't ever going to develop a strong handle, had he stayed teams would have figured that out.

Murray - Yes, probably.

Wroten - No chance. He went when teams still thought they could develop his shot.

Hawes - Nope, his lack of athleticism become more glaring the older he got. Wasn't going higher.

Nate Rob - Doubt it.

So yeah you've got Murray and maybe the midgets. Maybe.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

bigcc said:

He's been 100% gone since before the regular season ended. Damn near every other year doogs convince themselves player X is coming back - IT, Ross, D Murray, Wroten, Hawes, Nate Rob.

Nowell is long gone.

Ross - Doubt it. He wasn't ever going to develop a strong handle, had he stayed teams would have figured that out.

Murray - Yes, probably.

Wroten - No chance. He went when teams still thought they could develop his shot.

Hawes - Nope, his lack of athleticism become more glaring the older he got. Wasn't going higher.

Nate Rob - Doubt it.

The calculation is a little bit skewed because of how absolutely dog shit Romar was at actually coaching/improving guys.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

bigcc said:

Nowell is long gone.

Murray - Yes, probably.

Nate Rob - Doubt it.

The calculation is a little bit skewed because of how absolutely dog shit Romar was at actually coaching/improving guys.
    He wasn't bad at developing guards early on - Nate and maybe IT could have expected good development had they come back.

The rest, not so much.
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Have fun playing in China.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

bigcc said:

Nowell is long gone.

Murray - Yes, probably.

Nate Rob - Doubt it.

Chriss certainly wouldn’t have went high either.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

bigcc said:

Nowell is long gone.

Murray - Yes, probably.

Nate Rob - Doubt it.

Chriss certainly wouldn’t have went high either.
    It's always the argument of when do you have upside to lean on for being drafted. If he was a borderline 1st round pick it would make some sense to test the waters, but I can't see how going to the Gleague is worth his time. Waiting one year and possibly combining with elite talent could easily get him near the 1st round.

All the guys mentioned make sense other than maybe Murray (as stated). His stock can only rise by playing another year in college. bTW, Fuck the whole school thing. He's still in 101 classes and trying to get a C. It's not like we're talking his senior year and he may actually have to take a 300-400 level classload.
  • Options
    Someone's been telling you this since January.
  • Options
    bigccbigcc Member Posts: 893
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I wonder if it was more about the draft grade he received, or the incoming talent (McDaniels in particular) taking away looks, it's telling that hop waited until recently to put that out there

Either way, wish him luck going forward
  • Options
    RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited May 2019
    I was told that Nowell was set on the NBA dating back to the summer. Specifically that he needed to focus on the season. So there was some worry about how engaged he would be.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Completely the right move, all this should have stayed stuff is pure doogery. His stock isn't getting better, he had to prove he could shoot from outside, he did. It's the obvious move, and the right one for him.

Good luck to him.

Yep, he's not going to grow into elite athleticism, which is his biggest knock, by staying another year. His game is well-rounded and polished, and therefore he's pretty tapped out as far as pro potential goes. Strike now.
    Yes, Nowell has below average athleticism for a 2 guard in the NBA. That isn't going to change.

But it's why he should return and try to increase his draft position by improving his scoring ability further and his ball handling on a much better team that should receive better exposure.

There are papers/studies showing the even NBA teams fall into the sunk cost fallacy; giving more playing time, larger contracts, additional contracts and more opportunities to higher drafted players even if their on-court efficiency is lower than another player. Nowell isnt going to command developmental attention and patience because the NBA loves to jerk off about potential (particularly athletic), BUT if he can improve his way into a top 20 pick (possible IMO) then a team that spends those much higher draft resources to get him is much more likely to invest more into him after the draft and give him the opportunities his game requires to be successful.

Nowell should give Joe Young and Nick Johnson (recent Pac12 POYs) a call and chat with about what it's like being drafted around 45ish.

I suppose all this changes if someone is projecting him as a 1st rounder... but I dont think thats the case? Most boards Ive seen have him as a mid second, if on the board at all.
    Bump
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    Was worried he wasn’t going to be drafted at all. Whew.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Gladstone said:

43 isn't bad, top half of the second round.

Minnesota's a good spot for him.

Other than having to live in Minnesota of course.

• Options
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Its not terrible but he is going to struggle to find mins given he can only play the 2. I would not be surprised if they send him to the G league.

Next year, even if Covington plays the 4 and Wiggins the 3 exclusively (wont happen), it will be hard for Nowell to find any playing time over Okogie and Culver at the 2.

Coming back and playing on the team UW will field next year would not have dropped him any lower than he went anyways... A much higher likelihood, it could have pushed him into the first round.

Nowell should have come back and shown he can play PG in spot duty with much better teammates on a actually good/great team. He has so much more value to a team if he showed he is a hybrid 1/2 rather than strictly a 2.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Houhusky said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Its not terrible but he is going to struggle to find mins given he can only play the 2. I would not be surprised if they send him to the G league.

Next year, even if Covington plays the 4 and Wiggins the 3 exclusively (wont happen), it will be hard for Nowell to find any playing time over Okogie and Culver at the 2.

Coming back and playing on the team UW will field next year would not have dropped him any lower than he went anyways... A much higher likelihood, it could have pushed him into the first round.

Nowell should have come back and shown he can play PG in spot duty with much better teammates on a actually good/great team. He has so much more value to a team if he showed he is a hybrid 1/2 rather than strictly a 2.
    We don’t deal in hypotheticals