Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Worth an hour watch

PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,657
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited March 2019 in Tug Tavern
https://www.facebook.com/EricJohnsonKOMO/videos/450547018819467/UzpfSTE3NjQ5NTAyMDY6MTAyMDU0MjIwNTk5ODg2Njg/

Not Eric's Little Heroes.

North America's 3rd world shithole.

"We're running a concentration camp without wires"

Comments

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I watched it.

One thing for sure, the current modus operandi isn't working. Time for wholesale change in approach.

Blending my libertarian want of people to live the way they want and what may be the best solution to the problem is tuff.

I do see no problem with holding people accountable.

What I like about the RI model is an actual interest in rehabilitation - not liberal lip service.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

SFGbob said:

It's not a new problem we just stopped dealing with it the way we used to. You don't have a right to sleep on the street and camp in public. Mental ill people should be institutionalized. Public drunkeness and vagrancy laws should be enforced. We stopped doing all of these things and now we have what we have.

The Throbber STRONGLY believes that just letting people camp out and defecate in public, deface property, commit crimes and steal and generally act like savages (no disrespect intended @Swaye ) is fucked. Totally fucked and should not be tolerated. Period.

That said, Jake Browning still sucks, and there is very large percentage of the homeless who are there because of the ravages of addiction. Enabling drug use and providing safe places and needle exchanges and the like is beyond fucking stupid. It is like giving a mass shooter more ammo -and that's not hyperbole. It is fucking idiotic. And the chief idiots are the Seattle City Council and the bleeding hearts who claim 'you just don't understand, you heartless right winger".

First, I'm not a right winger - I'm a be your best self guy. And being your best self isn't taking free needles to keep putting poison in your veins. Being your best self isn't pissing on the sidewalk and stealing to buy more poison to put in the free needles. Being your best self isn't begging money off people at street corners and freeway exits. Being your best self isn't shitting on grave markers.

Until we? band together and say "Enough, we are hurting "these people" with how we are currently handling the problem, let's figure out a solution", we? are fucked. WE? must not continue to enable programs and behaviors that lead to both self- and societal-destruction. So why not arrest them, put them in treatment programs and provide them medication and counseling? The current methods and enablement aren't working, as good as they may sound in the 'you just don't understand their plight' mentality. I do understand their plight -they are caught in a disease. You don't give someone who has food poisoning more salmonella in his food in the hospital....why would you keep giving them needles? Or a spot to shoot up without interference? Didn't make any sense when they started those programs....certainly doesn't make any sense with the homeless camps over-running places like Seattle and San Francisco.

And even then, there will be a very small percentage who are just fucked up in the heads. It's genetic. It's been around for centuries. And, yes, R. Reagan may have dismantled mental institutions - but that doesn't mean a new Republic or new Democrat can't reinstate at least some portion of institutionalizing those are at risk of harming themselves or others. It's not a political question - it's a matter of protecting the public and the afflicted individual.

We are pissing money down a rathole to keep doing the same things that got us? to the current state.

Tell me more about Jake Browning

I'm hearing he's the winningest qb at uw
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

It's not a new problem we just stopped dealing with it the way we used to. You don't have a right to sleep on the street and camp in public. Mental ill people should be institutionalized. Public drunkeness and vagrancy laws should be enforced. We stopped doing all of these things and now we have what we have.

The Throbber STRONGLY believes that just letting people camp out and defecate in public, deface property, commit crimes and steal and generally act like savages (no disrespect intended @Swaye ) is fucked. Totally fucked and should not be tolerated. Period.

That said, Jake Browning still sucks, and there is very large percentage of the homeless who are there because of the ravages of addiction. Enabling drug use and providing safe places and needle exchanges and the like is beyond fucking stupid. It is like giving a mass shooter more ammo -and that's not hyperbole. It is fucking idiotic. And the chief idiots are the Seattle City Council and the bleeding hearts who claim 'you just don't understand, you heartless right winger".

First, I'm not a right winger - I'm a be your best self guy. And being your best self isn't taking free needles to keep putting poison in your veins. Being your best self isn't pissing on the sidewalk and stealing to buy more poison to put in the free needles. Being your best self isn't begging money off people at street corners and freeway exits. Being your best self isn't shitting on grave markers.

Until we? band together and say "Enough, we are hurting "these people" with how we are currently handling the problem, let's figure out a solution", we? are fucked. WE? must not continue to enable programs and behaviors that lead to both self- and societal-destruction. So why not arrest them, put them in treatment programs and provide them medication and counseling? The current methods and enablement aren't working, as good as they may sound in the 'you just don't understand their plight' mentality. I do understand their plight -they are caught in a disease. You don't give someone who has food poisoning more salmonella in his food in the hospital....why would you keep giving them needles? Or a spot to shoot up without interference? Didn't make any sense when they started those programs....certainly doesn't make any sense with the homeless camps over-running places like Seattle and San Francisco.

And even then, there will be a very small percentage who are just fucked up in the heads. It's genetic. It's been around for centuries. And, yes, R. Reagan may have dismantled mental institutions - but that doesn't mean a new Republic or new Democrat can't reinstate at least some portion of institutionalizing those are at risk of harming themselves or others. It's not a political question - it's a matter of protecting the public and the afflicted individual.

We are pissing money down a rathole to keep doing the same things that got us? to the current state.

If we really want to be honest about all of this treatment programs and counseling are pretty much next to worthless is addressing this problem.

The mentally ill need to be taken off the streets by force if necessary. The drug addicts and the drunks need to be incarcerated if they violate any laws and we can set up a skid-row area for the rest. Keep it contained and isolated, and nobody is allowed to camp in public. None of this is rocket science but we've become so fucking soft-headed and stupid we lack the courage and will to honestly address the problem.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2019

SFGbob said:

You’re just a big meanie who hates poor people and is greedy.

The “Reagan emptied the mental institutions” thing is fuckatard. First off, mental health reform at the time had broad bipartisan support. Second, if it was a bad idea we’ve had 40 years and 4 administrations to fix it.
    Standard Supporter
    We can either be "mean" and clean up the problem or we can be "compassionate" and continue doing what we're doing. Appeal to the left by citing the damage to the environment. Tell them that the homeless are all conservative Republicans like Hondo tried to claim and then they'll be open to eradicating the problem.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2019
    Christ. Watching that video was a punch to the gut.

We’ve all seen this happen in other cities (I’m thinking of NYC in the 70s & 80s), so it doesn’t take a fortune teller to see how this will play out.

I know there are problems with the broken windows theory, but there’s got to be limits to what we turn a blind eye to...saw this article that there are some homeless people starting to dismantle bricks and are digging tunnels below I-5:

http://mynorthwest.com/1309680/homeless-uproot-brick-dig-tunnels-i-5-overpass/

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

SFGbob said:

The “Reagan emptied the mental institutions” thing is fuckatard. First off, mental health reform at the time had broad bipartisan support. Second, if it was a bad idea we’ve had 40 years and 4 administrations to fix it.
    I didn't watch the video. Or even know the subject. I'm just here to say they SS and Medicare and food stamps say hello.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

I didn't watch the video. Or even know the subject. I'm just here to say they SS and Medicare and food stamps say hello.
    JFC. You look stupid.

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

JFC. You look stupid.
    Sic burn bro
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

The worst thing about this response is you just know the dumbfuck thinks he crafted some killer rebuttal.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

JFC. You look stupid.
    Sic burn bro
    I guess. Didn’t really mean it as a burn though. Just an observation
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

The worst thing about this response is you just know the dumbfuck thinks he crafted some killer rebuttal.
    Rebuttal to what? I always chuckle when you comment on other people's intelligence. When you can't even read.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

JFC. You look stupid.
    Sic burn bro
    I guess. Didn’t really mean it as a burn though. Just an observation
    That's a good point. Thanks for clarifying.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,479
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

If we really want to be honest about all of this treatment programs and counseling are pretty much next to worthless is addressing this problem.

The mentally ill need to be taken off the streets by force if necessary. The drug addicts and the drunks need to be incarcerated if they violate any laws and we can set up a skid-row area for the rest. Keep it contained and isolated, and nobody is allowed to camp in public. None of this is rocket science but we've become so fucking soft-headed and stupid we lack the courage and will to honestly address the problem.
    Good luck with that it was the courts that decided all the loonies weren't that loony. If they weren't going to kill anyone let them out!

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

JFC. You look stupid.
    Look?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

JFC. You look stupid.
    Look?
    Are?