Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Break up Big Tech?

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
https://huffpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-amazon-google-facebook_n_5c827b6ae4b0d93616273346

en. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) unveiled a plan Friday morning to promote competition in the tech sector by breaking up tech giants including Amazon, Google and Facebook.

“Today’s big tech companies have too much power  ―  too much power over our economy, our society, and our democracy. They’ve bulldozed competition, used our private information for profit, and tilted the playing field against everyone else,” Warren wrote in a post published on Medium.

“I want a government that makes sure everybody ― even the biggest and most powerful companies in America ― plays by the rules. And I want to make sure that the next generation of great American tech companies can flourish,” she continued. “To do that, we need to stop this generation of big tech companies from throwing around their political power to shape the rules in their favor and throwing around their economic power to snuff out or buy up every potential competitor.”

Warren is proposing “two major steps,” she said. The first would be passing legislation that designates certain large tech platforms as utilities that “would be prohibited from owning both the platform utility and any participants on that platform.” The second would be appointing regulators that would “unwind anti-competitive mergers,” like Amazon and Whole Foods, and Facebook and Instagram.

Interesting because big tech is on the left and works to her advantage. Props for taking a stand that could work against her I guess

The Feds broke up Standard Oil, Ma Bell among others so there is precedent but I'm not ready to abandon the free market on this just yet

@oregonblitzkrieg

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Fuck that. There's still enough competition in big tech, it's not like there's only one search engine, only one social media platform, only one place to buy goods.

The reason to break up companies is because no competition leads to higher prices and no innovation. We still have competitive prices and tons of innovation.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

These god damn low prices and excellent service are killing us!

Go out and support your local businesses!1!
    Fuck those guys
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

Opposes alleged tech monopolies.
    Supports single-payer healthcare.

Brilliant point.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,572
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Stop using google! Dump your phone! Get off social media!! You show'em!!!
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

Brilliant point.
    Sadly, it's not brilliant. It should be self-evident.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,126
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    2001400ex said:

Fuck that. There's still enough competition in big tech, it's not like there's only one search engine, only one social media platform, only one place to buy goods.

The reason to break up companies is because no competition leads to higher prices and no innovation. We still have competitive prices and tons of innovation.

Big tech engages in multiple anti-competitive behaviors. Whether they are broken up or simply restrained from those behaviors is a choice that can be legitimately debated.
  • Options

Opposing private monopolies and supporting public monopolies aren’t in conflict.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,206
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

Opposing private monopolies and supporting public monopolies aren’t in conflict.
    Go on, elaborate.
  • Options

I know that makes a nice headline. But it's almost like health Care and tech businesses are completely different things.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

I know that makes a nice headline. But it's almost like health Care and tech businesses are completely different things.
    You mean like Bell, Standard Oil and Microsoft?

What's your poont?
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,572
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I am just so relieved we have hondo, maritoto and allpurp working so hard to make the world a better place fighting for the little guy. Warms my heart.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

2001400ex said:

What's your poont?
    Those businesses had similar traits that made the government want to break them up. So I'm not sure how they come into the conversation of Government run medical insurance.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

What's your poont?
    Those businesses had similar traits that made the government want to break them up. So I'm not sure how they come into the conversation of Government run medical insurance.
    You said, "health Care and tech businesses."
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,709
    jecornel said:

I am just so relieved we have hondo, maritoto and allpurp working so hard to make the world a better place fighting for the little guy. Warms my heart.

But do they send any of their own money?
  • Options

HHusky said:

Go on, elaborate.
    Many things are done more efficiently through a state monopoly or a state granted monopoly than by a lightly regulated market. Single payer is markedly more efficient than what we have now.

A private monopoly may be highly efficient and provide a good value to the customer, but the price we pay may also be measured in the suppression of competition by other innovators. Innovation being a hallmark of capitalism, you must agree that suppressing innovation isn’t good for our society.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Go on, elaborate.
    Many things are done more efficiently through a state monopoly or a state granted monopoly than by a lightly regulated market. Single payer is markedly more efficient than what we have now.

A private monopoly may be highly efficient and provide a good value to the customer, but the price we pay may also be measured in the suppression of competition by other innovators. Innovation being a hallmark of capitalism, you must agree that suppressing innovation isn’t good for our society.
    Holy fuck. I'm surprised I'm surprised.