Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official Middle Aged Fitness/Fatness/Lifting Thread

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,203
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gwad said:

Middle aged fatness fupdate that no one will care about but idgaf.

Down 20lbs since the rosebowel. 30lbs since this time last year.

Lots of Hiit jumping rope. I'm actually getting pretty good. Double unders sustained for 20 seconds at a tim now.

Regularly walking several miles a day now which helps with the soreness from jumping rope.

Have also been doing intermittent fasting but jumped from being able to do 16-24 hrs at a time to 24-72 hrs and it's surprisingly not that much harder.

Looking forward to fitting back in my wetsuit and going surfing again.

How often you fasting 72 hours?
    Completed my first 72 hr last month. Considering another one this month bc it's honestly not much harder than 48 now that I've done it(which I've done quite a few of). Will usually do a longer one after a weekend where we did a lot of eating as I can tell my body feels fed.
    What does that do? What's the effect on metabolism and all that shit?
    Well the most obvious thing is that it creates a caloric deficit. If your body burns say 2,500 calories a day, and you only have one decent meal in that timespan, you've created about a 6,500 calorie deficit. That's equivalent to more or less 8 hrs of intense cardio(which your body probably can't do in a 72 hr period unless you are in extremely good shape).

From a metabolism standpoint, there's lots of stuff going on. I'll leave it at the old thinking that your metabolism will come to a crawl is incorrect, especially if you continue to exercise. You are also probably not losing anymore muscle than that 8hrs of cardio would destroy either anyways. Your body is also going to produce HGH naturally from this as a response to stress similar to weightlifting. That's a good thing.

From a long term health perspective it's actually shown to help with hormone and blood sugar regulation, cell regeneration/regulation, prevention of cancer and cell aging, and a bunch of other stuff. Look up autophagy if you feel like going down a DDY'esque research hole.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm not really in the business of selling diet fads but I've been experimenting with IF since before it became THE new thing and it has worked for me. Initially, all it meant was replacing breakfast with coffee(which I drink black anyways) to reduce my caloric intake for the day. I've had experience with cutting from both lifting and wrestling before this as well. I found that one good meal a day where I felt satisfied was a lot easier to maintain than even a consistent 200 calorie a day deficit with my meals spread out. Plus, it's a lot less restrictive when things like holidays, vacations, and events come up(rosebowl bacon wrapped hot dogs ftw).
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Gwad said:

Lots of Hiit jumping rope. I'm actually getting pretty good. Double unders sustained for 20 seconds at a tim now.

Regularly walking several miles a day now which helps with the soreness from jumping rope.

Have also been doing intermittent fasting but jumped from being able to do 16-24 hrs at a time to 24-72 hrs and it's surprisingly not that much harder.

Completed my first 72 hr last month. Considering another one this month bc it's honestly not much harder than 48 now that I've done it(which I've done quite a few of). Will usually do a longer one after a weekend where we did a lot of eating as I can tell my body feels fed.
    Well the most obvious thing is that it creates a caloric deficit. If your body burns say 2,500 calories a day, and you only have one decent meal in that timespan, you've created about a 6,500 calorie deficit. That's equivalent to more or less 8 hrs of intense cardio(which your body probably can't do in a 72 hr period unless you are in extremely good shape).

From a metabolism standpoint, there's lots of stuff going on. I'll leave it at the old thinking that your metabolism will come to a crawl is incorrect, especially if you continue to exercise. You are also probably not losing anymore muscle than that 8hrs of cardio would destroy either anyways. Your body is also going to produce HGH naturally from this as a response to stress similar to weightlifting. That's a good thing.

From a long term health perspective it's actually shown to help with hormone and blood sugar regulation, cell regeneration/regulation, prevention of cancer and cell aging, and a bunch of other stuff. Look up autophagy if you feel like going down a DDY'esque research hole.
    Chintresting. I'll look into it.

I know that on the rare occasion I've had nothing or little to eat, I feel better ... except for being hungry.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,256
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I got to a high of 230 pounds as I entered my 50's. Throughout my mid life crises I started dropping weight. Diet, exercise (mainly walking) and patience. By the time we moved to Cali was mid 50's and 165 pounds of bait for young women with daddy issues. I did gym work as well but mainly TV muscles as Sark can tell you

Walking is great but I fucked up my leg on the treadmill. I do everything full throttle. Now I need a pool because I'm back to 195

Would probably still be 165 if I had the guts to do something about the girls with daddy issues but I don't
  • Options

I got to a high of 230 pounds as I entered my 50's. Throughout my mid life crises I started dropping weight. Diet, exercise (mainly walking) and patience. By the time we moved to Cali was mid 50's and 165 pounds of bait for young women with daddy issues. I did gym work as well but mainly TV muscles as Sark can tell you

Walking is great but I fucked up my leg on the treadmill. I do everything full throttle. Now I need a pool because I'm back to 195

Would probably still be 165 if I had the guts to do something about the girls with daddy issues but I don't

Shocking.

Not really.

Leave the daddy issues alone. The stress it would bring would cause you to stress eat and you'd blow by 230.

I, too, started with the walking. I wish someone would have convinced me of this years ago. It took me way too long to accept that running was over for me; I thought it was the only real way to get back to what I was. Finally a guy who does triathlons and all that shit explained that walking fast, especially if you get some elevation, is just as good as running ... you just have to go a little further, but you save your joints.

Started that a couple of years ago, along with some basic calisthenics when I get back - sit ups and push ups mainly - and I'm good. No fucking gym membership or any of that. Thinking about getting a machine for the garage for when the weather really sucks. Otherwise, I go out rain or shine.

If I ever get the balls to move back to Miami, which is where I'd rather be (sorry Seattle; today's gray fucking sky in July is why), it's pool tim.

• Options
    Swaye said:

I'm not really in the business of selling diet fads but I've been experimenting with IF since before it became THE new thing and it has worked for me. Initially, all it meant was replacing breakfast with coffee(which I drink black anyways) to reduce my caloric intake for the day. I've had experience with cutting from both lifting and wrestling before this as well. I found that one good meal a day where I felt satisfied was a lot easier to maintain than even a consistent 200 calorie a day deficit with my meals spread out. Plus, it's a lot less restrictive when things like holidays, vacations, and events come up(rosebowl bacon wrapped hot dogs ftw).

I could eat 12 bacon wrapped hot dogs right now and not even fart.
    If you wrapped your dick in bacon there's a good chance I'd find it and eat it.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

If you wrapped your dick in bacon there's a good chance I'd find it and eat it.
    That's a date.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,865
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2019
    I have a diet for you... it’s called stress.

Raise 4 helluns with the help of a heffer you don’t want to be with, stressful sales manager job that doesn’t pay shit and drink a piss ton of coffee and caffeine all day every day.

Occasionally mix a weekend of non-stop day drinking and you have the makings for an excellent weight loss program.

EDIT: @creepycoug please let me know how that Indian glazed dick bacon tastes. I’m very intrigued. Kinda aroused...
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Gwad said:

Thats cool I am into fasting and I know what you are talking about just not being hungry past a time you think you might be hungry. I found keeping moving to some moderate level quells the impulse to consume food.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855

Gwad said:

Yes muscle recovery from longer fasts was a pleasant surprise.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gwad said:

Gwad said:

I'm curious, what's the longest fast you have done? I'm considering doing a longer than 72 hr fast but haven't committed to it yet.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gwad said:

Gwad said:

I'm curious, what's the longest fast you have done? I'm considering doing a longer than 72 hr fast but haven't committed to it yet.
    I hear you can last a full 25 years if you manage it correctly.

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,865
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Raise 4 helluns with the help of a heffer you don’t want to be with, stressful sales manager job that doesn’t pay shit and drink a piss ton of coffee and caffeine all day every day.

Occasionally mix a weekend of non-stop day drinking and you have the makings for an excellent weight loss program.

EDIT: @creepycoug please let me know how that Indian glazed dick bacon tastes. I’m very intrigued. Kinda aroused...

Pour, shitty sales people of the world unite!!
    We can’t all be boujee, rich, and have hot wives.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pour, shitty sales people of the world unite!!
    We can’t all be boujee, rich, and have hot wives.
    I know. But I’m a shitty sales guy too.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    Swaye said:

But what does this even mean?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Did 5 x 1000 meter pieces on the C2 this AM. 2 mins rest between each interval.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have no idea what any of this means but it sounds like exercise.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

sounds like endurance faggy shit. hit da power bro