Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official Middle Aged Fitness/Fatness/Lifting Thread

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,308
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I started working out again about nine months ago after taking about a decade off. Was finally starting to get a gut, and I promised myself if that ever happened, I'd do something about it.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that I can't stay uninjured for more than a couple of weeks at a time, so I'm not really making any gains. Since December, my sore shoulder from a prior separation has become an "every time I use my left arm" problem, I partially tore my achilles and calf playing--no shit--one step of basketball, I pinched a nerve in my lower back that knocked me out for two weeks, beat the hell out of myself crashing a motorcycle, and both knees have started intermittently hurting from prior surgeries.

I feel like instead of turning 39 I went straight from 38 to 60. It's fucked up. I want to get in shape, I have the time to get in shape, but my body hasn't been cooperating at all.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Middle aged fatness fupdate that no one will care about but idgaf.

Down 20lbs since the rosebowel. 30lbs since this time last year.

Lots of Hiit jumping rope. I'm actually getting pretty good. Double unders sustained for 20 seconds at a tim now.

Regularly walking several miles a day now which helps with the soreness from jumping rope.

Have also been doing intermittent fasting but jumped from being able to do 16-24 hrs at a time to 24-72 hrs and it's surprisingly not that much harder.

Looking forward to fitting back in my wetsuit and going surfing again.

Don't mess with the Beach Bot!!

The sleep deprivation and all the takeout me and the mrs. doogbot were eating after the release of doogbot_2.0 had me put on like 30lbs in a year. I was determined to get rid of that before the release of 3.0 and not make the same mistakes this time around.

Add in @Tequilla #fillthepants challenge and I think I should be back to a trim father figure instead of the fat dad bod.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

I started working out again about nine months ago after taking about a decade off. Was finally starting to get a gut, and I promised myself if that ever happened, I'd do something about it.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that I can't stay uninjured for more than a couple of weeks at a time, so I'm not really making any gains. Since December, my sore shoulder from a prior separation has become an "every time I use my left arm" problem, I partially tore my achilles and calf playing--no shit--one step of basketball, I pinched a nerve in my lower back that knocked me out for two weeks, beat the hell out of myself crashing a motorcycle, and both knees have started intermittently hurting from prior surgeries.

I feel like instead of turning 39 I went straight from 38 to 60. It's fucked up. I want to get in shape, I have the time to get in shape, but my body hasn't been cooperating at all.

The first 10lbs I lost was way harder than the last 20lbs. My body was out of shape and the extra weight made working out that much harder. I highly recommend even basic walking and even 16/8 intermittent fasting just to cut some weight off to make working out easier. My mom lost 40lbs with just those two things. Sedentary life will kill you faster than smoking.
    I think I've actually put on about 10lbs since joining Hardcore Husky and am dressing out at about 6'6" 215 lbs now. Trying to bulk up for the 7-11 showdown with @creepycoug .

Imagine being scared of not a former army ranger
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    I'm still 8 lbs overweight

I'm doing my part though. Nothing but a protein bar and 6 beers today
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Lots of Hiit jumping rope. I'm actually getting pretty good. Double unders sustained for 20 seconds at a tim now.

Regularly walking several miles a day now which helps with the soreness from jumping rope.

Have also been doing intermittent fasting but jumped from being able to do 16-24 hrs at a time to 24-72 hrs and it's surprisingly not that much harder.

How often you fasting 72 hours?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gwad said:

Completed my first 72 hr last month. Considering another one this month bc it's honestly not much harder than 48 now that I've done it(which I've done quite a few of). Will usually do a longer one after a weekend where we did a lot of eating as I can tell my body feels fed.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I'm still 8 lbs overweight

I'm doing my part though. Nothing but a protein bar and 6 beers today

I laffed.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Gwad said:

Completed my first 72 hr last month. Considering another one this month bc it's honestly not much harder than 48 now that I've done it(which I've done quite a few of). Will usually do a longer one after a weekend where we did a lot of eating as I can tell my body feels fed.
    What does that do? What's the effect on metabolism and all that shit?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Swaye said:

So much this. The clock rolled over on 43 and I was a lean mean 172 pound coke doing machine. Still had most of my hair as well, though it was receding. Met CLS at 44 and still a pleasant looking 178 or so, hair starting retreat. Fast forward 18 months until now and starting to take on a beach ball appearance at 190+ and hair is in full on abandon mode like it's the French guarding the Maginot line. Tried to stem the tide a year ago as I was blowing past 185 and did nothing but pull muscles and sprain shit no matter what I tried. Finally said fuck it before I killed myself.

At 43 I would have fucked me. At almost 46, I look like a fucking side show act. When the body finally says fuck it, you just fall off a cliff. It's really why I got married. She's the last girl to see me naked when it didn't look like a B movie horror flick.
    I laffed. Actually at the whole thing, but the Maginot line was gold.

The one bitch about being a man is there is no fat upside. With women, if they have big tits to start, getting fat doesn't make that worse ... it leaves them with at least one thing to work with, and most men can't help themselves around a huge rack.

I suppose I'll always have my .5" Johnson to work with. JFC
  • Options

The first 10lbs I lost was way harder than the last 20lbs. My body was out of shape and the extra weight made working out that much harder. I highly recommend even basic walking and even 16/8 intermittent fasting just to cut some weight off to make working out easier. My mom lost 40lbs with just those two things. Sedentary life will kill you faster than smoking.
    I think I've actually put on about 10lbs since joining Hardcore Husky and am dressing out at about 6'6" 215 lbs now. Trying to bulk up for the 7-11 showdown with @creepycoug .

Imagine being scared of not a former army ranger
    Remember you're meating a Cuban at the 7-11. The one on Aurora near the U-District. Don't be like a WOP and bring a knife to a gunfight ese!

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

So much this. The clock rolled over on 43 and I was a lean mean 172 pound coke doing machine. Still had most of my hair as well, though it was receding. Met CLS at 44 and still a pleasant looking 178 or so, hair starting retreat. Fast forward 18 months until now and starting to take on a beach ball appearance at 190+ and hair is in full on abandon mode like it's the French guarding the Maginot line. Tried to stem the tide a year ago as I was blowing past 185 and did nothing but pull muscles and sprain shit no matter what I tried. Finally said fuck it before I killed myself.

At 43 I would have fucked me. At almost 46, I look like a fucking side show act. When the body finally says fuck it, you just fall off a cliff. It's really why I got married. She's the last girl to see me naked when it didn't look like a B movie horror flick.
    Slow strat always wins bruh!!

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club