Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Universal Basic Income - Freedom Dividend

13»

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Sledog said:

I think we should begin right now. How about all those in favor of guaranteed income start writing checks to the lowest earners on this board.

Sledog said:

I'm for UBI if it gets rid of Welfare

Milton had some thoughts.

https://youtu.be/FWcTMGaOHWA
    True story. Went to Costco one time and saw a couple druggies opening up cases of bottled water and dumping them in the parking lot so they could convert their food stamps into cash.

If they are going to do shit like that, just give them the money. Much more efficient.
    Just don't give them anything.

When Obingo turned loose the food stamps and welfare all came on a card they all go buy booze, cigarettes and strippers.
    You have to give them something. Provide nothing and crime goes up ten fold
    Really? We're supposed to pay them not to commit crime?

You are way around the bend. I suggest you move to another country. What you want will require a civil war. Why Go through all that when you can move?
    At some point it might be better just to pay those who’s personal habits and culture are inferior to not commit crimes. Keep them at bay. Not a lot. Just enough so they are somewhat content. A pitence to keep the animals at bay.
    This

Pay a little bit of tax or pay by having to replace your stolen crap and some tax on hiring more police.
    All of these things will happen anyway. It worked in Britain for awhile but they eventually couldn’t sustain it.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Sledog said:

I think we should begin right now. How about all those in favor of guaranteed income start writing checks to the lowest earners on this board.

Sledog said:

True story. Went to Costco one time and saw a couple druggies opening up cases of bottled water and dumping them in the parking lot so they could convert their food stamps into cash.

If they are going to do shit like that, just give them the money. Much more efficient.

When Obingo turned loose the food stamps and welfare all came on a card they all go buy booze, cigarettes and strippers.

You are way around the bend. I suggest you move to another country. What you want will require a civil war. Why Go through all that when you can move?
    At some point it might be better just to pay those who’s personal habits and culture are inferior to not commit crimes. Keep them at bay. Not a lot. Just enough so they are somewhat content. A pitence to keep the animals at bay.
    This

Pay a little bit of tax or pay by having to replace your stolen crap and some tax on hiring more police.
    Are property crime investigations a new thing? I ask because here, they won’t even roll a car for property crime but they will give you a phone number to call to get an automated police report # for your insurance company to begin processing your claim.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

This

Are property crime investigations a new thing? I ask because here, they won’t even roll a car for property crime but they will give you a phone number to call to get an automated police report # for your insurance company to begin processing your claim.
    That’s very true. But most theft crimes come from people with drug addictions. They need the property to convert into cash. Giving cash instead of food stamps lets them buy their drugs and the majority will then leave your shit alone. I know it’s morbid, but they’re going to get their fix anyway so now they can get cash. This is more efficient because we can run the program with a fourth of the man power.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,553
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

pawz said:

Interesting conversation.

As could be expected, my knee-jerk reaction to UBI is fuck that. Simply giving people money won't solve anything. It's fucking expensive. You may may create apathy in a population ... etc

That said, automation and artificial intelligence in the workplace is going to render millions without jobs over the next 10 years. To be fair to the business owner, there are many sound reasons for the implementation of automation and artificial intelligence. But still.

Most of the jobs lost will be to people who won't be rehire-able in the work force. And #learntocode (training higher skill sets) won't realistically be an option for the majority displaced.

One can make a legit case for the automation-replacing-labor in the swing states is what ushered in the #MAGA presidency.

Staying out in front seems better than waiting to after the fact when people are legit displaced, without options.. to think this group of proud blue collar workers will take this lying down is laughable.

Are there better ways to head-off this imminent, massive problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Yang_(entrepreneur)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsEzmFamZ8

Great conversation. He doesn't shit on vocational, apprenticeship training and trades which are viable jobs that can't be easily replaced by automation. There are also mental benefits of that type of work . Strongly believes college is over emphasized. You are paying three times more but not better a three times better product. College doesn't have to be for everyone plus you will be crushed by debt.

Though, he doesn't hurt insults or shit on a large group of people. May get boring for some.

Worth listening to him.
    Who shits on vocational, apprenticeships and trades?
    You must have not attended college.
    So, no one in politics. Thanks.
    I remember Dems trashing Joe the plumber for being a plumber and discounting his opinion because he was just a dumb old plumber. For some reason being a plumber meant he didn't have a meaningful opinion or thought. I'm pretty sure Franken shit all over Joe the plumber.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    jecornel said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

pawz said:

As could be expected, my knee-jerk reaction to UBI is fuck that. Simply giving people money won't solve anything. It's fucking expensive. You may may create apathy in a population ... etc

That said, automation and artificial intelligence in the workplace is going to render millions without jobs over the next 10 years. To be fair to the business owner, there are many sound reasons for the implementation of automation and artificial intelligence. But still.

Most of the jobs lost will be to people who won't be rehire-able in the work force. And #learntocode (training higher skill sets) won't realistically be an option for the majority displaced.

One can make a legit case for the automation-replacing-labor in the swing states is what ushered in the #MAGA presidency.

Staying out in front seems better than waiting to after the fact when people are legit displaced, without options.. to think this group of proud blue collar workers will take this lying down is laughable.

Great conversation. He doesn't shit on vocational, apprenticeship training and trades which are viable jobs that can't be easily replaced by automation. There are also mental benefits of that type of work . Strongly believes college is over emphasized. You are paying three times more but not better a three times better product. College doesn't have to be for everyone plus you will be crushed by debt.

Though, he doesn't hurt insults or shit on a large group of people. May get boring for some.

Worth listening to him.
    I remember Dems trashing Joe the plumber for being a plumber and discounting his opinion because he was just a dumb old plumber. For some reason being a plumber meant he didn't have a meaningful opinion or thought. I'm pretty sure Franken shit all over Joe the plumber.
    Care to provide the link on Franken? Or Democrat politicians trashing Joe for "being a plumber"?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

pawz said:

Worth listening to him.
    Care to provide the link on Franken? Or Democrat politicians trashing Joe for "being a plumber"?
    You don't get to divert or obfuscate. 

Fuck off.

• Options
    pawz said:

2001400ex said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

pawz said:

Worth listening to him.

Fuck off.

Did my comments offend you? Pussy.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2019
    2001400ex said:

pawz said:

2001400ex said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

pawz said:

Worth listening to him.

Fuck off.

Your middle school debate club tactics are transparent, and elementary.

Fuck off. Or kill yourself.
  • Options
    pawz said:

2001400ex said:

pawz said:

2001400ex said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

pawz said:

Worth listening to him.

Fuck off.

Your middle school debate club tactics are transparent, and elementary.

Fuck off. Or kill yourself.
    So you consider yourself a masterdebater?
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

This

That’s very true. But most theft crimes come from people with drug addictions. They need the property to convert into cash. Giving cash instead of food stamps lets them buy their drugs and the majority will then leave your shit alone. I know it’s morbid, but they’re going to get their fix anyway so now they can get cash. This is more efficient because we can run the program with a fourth of the man power.
    You think establishing a Board of Distribution of Cash and staffed outlets to druggies is the answer?

Why not simply set up free heroine vending machines in Castle Rock? Lure them out of the city with the only free shit they really want? Wouldn’t that be cheaper? Reduce crime? Reduce loss? Free up government workers to do other more important things?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

Helps the economy IMO.
    It helped out Native Americans. They track where those cards were used and casinos were a favorite. Hey had they won anything they get off the dole
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @CirrhosisDawg is mean to the working man

WTGWT
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

2001400ex said:

I've been saying this for years, so hopefully I'm right, but I really don't see automation killing the economy or putting people permanently out of work. We have always replaced jobs whenever automation hits a big sector. And everyone always says "but this time is different!" and they are always right when they say that, but the outcome is always the same.

As long as humans are available, we can be hired to perform value adding tasks that machines can't. And as long as businesses are competitive they will hire to achieve that edge.

We are shifting from a manufacturing to a technology based economy. There are jobs being replaced by automation, and it's been happening for years. But someone needs to program the computers for automation. This creates jobs. It's not one for one, but it's also not a 100% lots of jobs either, a percentage is replaced by IT people. And people to manufacture the machines.

I tell my boy to either go to college for staple professional jobs that'll always be there such as accounting or engineering. Or pharmacy/medical that'll always be there. Or technology. Which is replacing low level or middle class jobs with high paying jobs.
    There will always be a job for Accountants, Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Professors/Teachers, Law Enforcement, Technology, Investments, and Sales.
    Projects don't manage themselves either. And PMs grow up to be consultants where you can really rake

Retired nerds turned consultants make a killing.
    Taking an early buyout retirement at the earliest possible date after writing the contract for the former director...now consulting at home.

5.5 years but who's counting?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,650
    I like the name Freedom Dividend. Just what the fuck does that mean? Freedom from work like everyone else? Freedom from what exactly? It should be "The free shit from people who work hard because your a lazy worthless piece of shit that doesn't contribute to society" dividend;" HTH
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @RaceBannon things are looking up!

I'm 81% on board with UBI, as a replacement for most other federal transfer programs. Take all of the federal spending on housing, SNAP, training, etc. and just cut people in the bottom 10% or so a check. Let them decide what to do with it. Add in whatever qualifiers you'd like.

We spend roughly 10% of our GDP on public assistance and that's without counting social security or medicare. It very roughly works out to $30,000 per year per person. Do you think that poor people currently receive $30,000 worth of goods and services from the government? I sure don't. That's what we are spending though. Might as well give it directly to them to decide what to do with it. Better than paying a vast entrenched bureaucracy to play musical chairs while poor people suffer.

We cut old poor people and disabled poor people a check. It's not much different.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also, automation doesn't eliminate jobs from the total economy, just sections of the economy. It actually frees people up to do other better jobs. We are going to continue to transition to a service, tech, and intellectual property industry. That's a good thing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

@RaceBannon things are looking up!

I'm 81% on board with UBI, as a replacement for most other federal transfer programs. Take all of the federal spending on housing, SNAP, training, etc. and just cut people in the bottom 10% or so a check. Let them decide what to do with it. Add in whatever qualifiers you'd like.

We spend roughly 10% of our GDP on public assistance and that's without counting social security or medicare. It very roughly works out to $30,000 per year per person. Do you think that poor people currently receive $30,000 worth of goods and services from the government? I sure don't. That's what we are spending though. Might as well give it directly to them to decide what to do with it. Better than paying a vast entrenched bureaucracy to play musical chairs while poor people suffer.

We cut old poor people and disabled poor people a check. It's not much different.

I'm all in favor of streamlining the delivery of aid to get more of it to the person who needs it not the massive layers of people who oversee it. 100% in