Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,358
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Beno4Life said:

Listened to the honks because I wanted to hear Hugh light up the receivers:

- The 3 starting receivers are redundant

- Have one receiver for speed (Opera Singer/Chico/Lowe) and rotate between them

- Never take Hunter off the field

- Start Ozzy, as he was an anchor for the 4x100 and has requisite speed, has size others don’t, and he has the best hands in the room and all the starters are having drop problems

- On the pick, the CB started with inside leverage so Hunter was going to go outside, then the CB bailed at the last second so Hunter went back inside, he rounded his route instead of cutting sharp, and he didn’t fight for the ball the way he should have

- 6 definitive drops that should count as completions (2 others that were toss-ups), 4 of them on 3rd that would have been 1st down conversions and another that was a touchdown

- Eason should have ended the game with a 70-80% completion rate and a touchdown, but the senior receivers let him down and High believes lost Eason’s trust

- Use the Hawaii game to get Ozzy/Spiker/Bynum/Puka on the field and let them go, just see if they can prove that they are better than the older guys

Just listened myself (why do we do this to ourselves?).

Shocked that Hugh didn’t light up the Smurf Corps even more. He hates their beta mentality and play.

Also thought he’d be more critical of Bush and Pete as it relates to Hunter not being on the field and our formations on obvious running plays and just he general lack of evolution year over year.
    It sure sounded to me like Millen was either still shellshocked or being REALLY careful not to burn too many bridges. He was barely containing a lot more.
  • Options
    bigccbigcc Member Posts: 895
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Listened to the honks because I wanted to hear Hugh light up the receivers:

- The 3 starting receivers are redundant

- Have one receiver for speed (Opera Singer/Chico/Lowe) and rotate between them

- Never take Hunter off the field

- Start Ozzy, as he was an anchor for the 4x100 and has requisite speed, has size others don’t, and he has the best hands in the room and all the starters are having drop problems

- On the pick, the CB started with inside leverage so Hunter was going to go outside, then the CB bailed at the last second so Hunter went back inside, he rounded his route instead of cutting sharp, and he didn’t fight for the ball the way he should have

- 6 definitive drops that should count as completions (2 others that were toss-ups), 4 of them on 3rd that would have been 1st down conversions and another that was a touchdown

- Eason should have ended the game with a 70-80% completion rate and a touchdown, but the senior receivers let him down and High believes lost Eason’s trust

- Use the Hawaii game to get Ozzy/Spiker/Bynum/Puka on the field and let them go, just see if they can prove that they are better than the older guys

Hugh can be a moron at times (Russell Wilson will never be a successful qb due to his height), but each of these takes is spot on
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    RealRhino said:

Hamdan looks tormented and broken. He needs a drink. I wonder if he would do things differently if he was left to his own devices and Uncle Pete wasn't a big part of the offensive philosophy.

I just don't believe this. I know we can cite stuff about Pete's offense not being great other than one year, and since he's the common denominator he's reining in these otherwise gifted OCs, but I don't believe it. I think the HC can absolutely set the tone for the *kind* of offense he wants to run (see Carroll wanting to be a heavy run team with play-action chunk plays) but there's no way I think it gets to the level of detail where he's mandating the bad route concepts and route combinations that Bush uses. Or that he's forcing Huff to set the OL up to fail by forcing them to make reach blocks they can't make, etc.

The smoking gun for me is that Bush is a first-time OC who essentially spent his time training under Sark, and this offense does the kind of stupid shit that Sark would do.
    Hamdan has spent massively more time working under Pete than under Sark.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    dnc said:

RealRhino said:

Hamdan looks tormented and broken. He needs a drink. I wonder if he would do things differently if he was left to his own devices and Uncle Pete wasn't a big part of the offensive philosophy.

I just don't believe this. I know we can cite stuff about Pete's offense not being great other than one year, and since he's the common denominator he's reining in these otherwise gifted OCs, but I don't believe it. I think the HC can absolutely set the tone for the *kind* of offense he wants to run (see Carroll wanting to be a heavy run team with play-action chunk plays) but there's no way I think it gets to the level of detail where he's mandating the bad route concepts and route combinations that Bush uses. Or that he's forcing Huff to set the OL up to fail by forcing them to make reach blocks they can't make, etc.

The smoking gun for me is that Bush is a first-time OC who essentially spent his time training under Sark, and this offense does the kind of stupid shit that Sark would do.
    Not really. One year as quality control coach, one year as WR coach before being made OC/QB coach. Only QB coaching experience was under Sark, and you have to assume as the QB coach he got a lot more involved in playcalling/play design than as the WR coach under Petersen.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,808
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Finish

Clean some things up

Things losers say

I mean, the kid is right but still, fuck off

"Losers whine about giving their best and cleaning some things up. Winners fuck the prom queen, beat fucking Cal, and do better than 1-4 in bowl games."

- Don James
  • Options
    RealRhino said:

dnc said:

RealRhino said:

Not really. One year as quality control coach, one year as WR coach before being made OC/QB coach. Only QB coaching experience was under Sark, and you have to assume as the QB coach he got a lot more involved in playcalling/play design than as the WR coach under Petersen.
    You’re forgetting he played under Pete.

And a year plus as OC.

I love you but there’s no case that 12 months under Sark was a bigger influence on Bush than his like six years under Pete.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,002
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Bush should know about benching seniors since he was benched as a senior.

What's even funnier is the 'talented' young guys are the guys BUSH recruited. You would think he would want to play them
    This is why I think they might not actually be any better.
    They are better athletes than the upper class men for sure but FWIW in the small sample size we have Bynum always looks hesitant in identifying the hole in the coverage.

I think Adams would like to play the younger guys if I had to guess but I think this is more an indictment of how hard the offense is to grasp for under class men. I remember John Ross not being good in 2014 also
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,184
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bush is pretty damn beta.
  • Options

dnc said:

What's even funnier is the 'talented' young guys are the guys BUSH recruited. You would think he would want to play them
    They are better athletes than the upper class men for sure but FWIW in the small sample size we have Bynum always looks hesitant in identifying the hole in the coverage.

I think Adams would like to play the younger guys if I had to guess but I think this is more an indictment of how hard the offense is to grasp for under class men. I remember John Ross not being good in 2014 also
    Yep Ross got moved to DB as a junior for a reason.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,735
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Yep Ross got moved to DB as a junior for a reason.
    Wasn’t that reason Peters’ suspension?

And Kelly’s injury?

And everyone else were true freshmen?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited September 2019
    Hamdan deserves some shit for sure, every coach does, but how much shit would he be getting if the WR didn't drop 47 passes and Luciano didn't exist? I'm guessing not much because we likely would have won by double digits with 450+ yards and 30+ points. Those mistakes were that crucial every fucking time. Most godforsaken shit I've seen since the last time we played Cal. This was worse. Call me an apologist all you want but the players deserve most of the blame in my mind. Catch the ball, don't false start, and we'd all be rainbows and unicorns.

And before you say the coaches are responsible for the players, fuck you because you're probably right. PISS out my ASS.