Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Deserves own thread: UW Recruiting Banquet

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
This should not have been buried in a thread about some DE who will tell us to fuck off because Kwat.

Thanks to
@Passion

First post:

I attended the recruiting banquet tonight. Fun to geek out a little.

Anyway, Malloe was the funniest coach on stage (Adams is a dud). He told some humorous stories and his comments about the interior DL caused laughs. Definitely can see why he is a good recruiter.

However, his pitch is completely tailored for island kids. He basically said his entire reason for being at Washington is because he sees so many similarities between Polynesian culture and the culture established by Pete. It was heartfelt, but made me wonder what kids from other backgrounds would think.

Next post:

A few highlights:

- Coaches mingled around with guests before the program began, which was cool. Surely they all had better things to do than hang with 300 arm chair experts.

- My two fiends and I had a good chat with Millie. Very personable and very stoked about this class, I asked if any of the new guys would play next year or if Levi, Tuli, Tamani and other older guys would shoulder the load. He smiled and said, “ Oh yeah, they’ll play.”

- Coach Pete didn’t talk about individual guys, but rather talked about this class in general and fielded questions.

- Damon Huard MC’d. Enthusiastic, and a little dorky.

- dumbest question of the night from the audience: “what about Puca Nacua?” Pete just turned the other way and said, “I don’t know him.“

- Best question of the night: somebody asked about tight ends. Pete just said it’s hard to find a tight end that can do all of the things they ask them to do. So, some years they may pass on people rather than just settle.

- When asked about defensive guys that are ready to make their mark, Jimmy Lake mentioned MJ Tafisi and a walk on named Edefuon Ulofoshio.

- Lake also said he thought McDuffie was the best CB in the he west.

- Cameron Williams is a violent player, ala JoJo McCintosh.

- Gregory is fired up about the LBs. very matter of fact coach-like speaking style. Said Tuputola may be the sleeper of the class. Kid is 248 pounds! Over 30 pounds heavier than Heimuli!

- Huff said it was the biggest OL class he’s ever had

- Bhonapha is funny but I dont sense a great deal of energy

Tits:

Comments

• BreadBread Member Posts: 3,967
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Lake says Ulofoshio ready to make a mark and Myles Bryant is his favorite player

I am sure the rumors are forming but ,unfortunately, I am not Jimmy Lake. Sorry.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2019

Latu is fucking quick as shit.

Fowler runs like a motherfucker. Just had a smaller frame and doesn’t blow people up in the same way that Ah You does.

Ah You has a bigger frame, more short space quickness and closes keeping more power in his body to blast people than Drew.

That said, even though MAY is the higher probability prospect, I would not be shocked if Fowler ended up being just as good.

Latu is quick.

Smalls is quick as shit.

We can agree to disagree. I see a standout DE that will get pressure, but not like a Don Jones or Andy Mason-type. Remember that Latu is 270 pounds.

I hope you're right. No question he will "out-quick" most opposing OTs and get around them. But I think Latu's strength will be collapsing the pocket, holding the edge and stringing out plays to the sideline.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2019
    Latu has a lot of baby fat right now and he’s still explosive as fuck.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Sure, but there's no doubt that a 270 pound high schooler has a lot of work to do if he's going to become a truly elite edge rusher instead of the 5T kind of player that his body type seems more suited for at the moment. A 270 pounder is never going to move like Kikaha did.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2019

Sure, but there's no doubt that a 270 pound high schooler has a lot of work to do if he's going to become a truly elite edge rusher instead of the 5T kind of player that his body type seems more suited for at the moment. A 270 pounder is never going to move like Kikaha did.
    Latu ran a 4.28 shuttle...

https://hudl.com/video/3/6307259/5bf0f797664ca602ec668091

IMO you can see he's a bit slow to get going on his first step off of the dline but I think that's more coaching/scheme, awareness, or him taking time to diagnose(which can all be improved). If you look at his acceleration and change of direction on offense he's much quicker. Fuck me on his rugby highlights too.

The athleticism is there. It just needs connection to his play.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    Swaye's Wigwam

IMO you can see he's a bit slow to get going on his first step off of the dline but I think that's more coaching/scheme, awareness, or him taking time to diagnose(which can all be improved). If you look at his acceleration and change of direction on offense he's much quicker. Fuck me on his rugby highlights too.

His highlights at TE are great. He and Heimuli are both impressive offensive players. Hammer would be an excellent big back.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

His highlights at TE are great. He and Heimuli are both impressive offensive players. Hammer would be an excellent big back.
    Benning Potoa'e had really impressive TE highlights on his hudl. Just saying...
    If you are seriously comparing Latu and Benning kill yourself.

Fat is fine if you carry it well. Not everyone genetically gets to walk around super shredded all the time.
    Yeah but the thing is he’s gunna put on a lot of muscle. He already carries his frame well.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Benning still didn't have the kind of acceleration or change of direction that Latu displays. You can have good TE highlights without those things.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2019

chuck said:

Latu would run, jump and cut circles around Potoae blindfolded with his ankles tied together.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Poopsi why you bing a little bitch? Plz come back and poast more. No shame making a smart financial decision