Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Airlines Say They’re Close to a ‘Tipping Point’ Due to the Shutdown

insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
I guess Gay Bob is too poor to travel anywhere so he's not worried about any impact to his life.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-24/shutdown-pushes-aviation-system-to-tipping-point-airlines-say

U.S. airline bosses stepped up their criticism of the partial government shutdown, warning that the closing threatens to snarl air travel.

“We are close to a tipping point as employees are about to miss a second paycheck,’’ JetBlue Airways Corp. Chief Executive Officer Robin Hayes said on a conference call Thursday with analysts and investors. “The longer this goes on, the longer it will take for the nation’s air travel infrastructure to rebound.’’

CEOs at larger carriers backed him up, with American Airlines Group Inc.’s Doug Parker warning of “long lines’’ and “delayed airspace.’’ Southwest Airlines Co. said it lost out on as much as $15 million in sales this month because of the shutdown, and CEO Gary Kelly called the closing “maddening.”

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    The airlines should hire, pay for, and maintain their own security. It’s in their best interest to do so. Why is it a government task?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,442 Founders Club
    Friday is tomorrow. A day early and still a dollar short
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771

The airlines should hire, pay for, and maintain their own security. It’s in their best interest to do so. Why is it a government task?

I mean this as a genuine question, if it’s the governments job to protect me from you and vice versa why doesn’t that apply here?

I mean this as a genuine question, if it’s the governments job to protect me from you and vice versa why doesn’t that apply here?
    A private company is responsible for providing their own security. If they want to be in business they need to bear the costs and responsiblities.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

I guess Gay Bob is too poor to travel anywhere so he's not worried about any impact to his life.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-24/shutdown-pushes-aviation-system-to-tipping-point-airlines-say

U.S. airline bosses stepped up their criticism of the partial government shutdown, warning that the closing threatens to snarl air travel.

“We are close to a tipping point as employees are about to miss a second paycheck,’’ JetBlue Airways Corp. Chief Executive Officer Robin Hayes said on a conference call Thursday with analysts and investors. “The longer this goes on, the longer it will take for the nation’s air travel infrastructure to rebound.’’

CEOs at larger carriers backed him up, with American Airlines Group Inc.’s Doug Parker warning of “long lines’’ and “delayed airspace.’’ Southwest Airlines Co. said it lost out on as much as $15 million in sales this month because of the shutdown, and CEO Gary Kelly called the closing “maddening.”

This sounds like a problem. It should be fixed.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    edited January 2019

A private company is responsible for providing their own security. If they want to be in business they need to bear the costs and responsiblities.

https://guyjest.com/stewardess-makes-a-cool-million-bonking-passengers/

The Throbber is available to avert any potential slowdown in the airline industry.

Throbber 202
    Plus purple is red and blue but also makes women and gays feel okay.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771

But a private business isn’t responsible for providing their own security. If you own a store and that store gets robbed you can call the police. I’m assuming you’re not against that. It’s not preventative the way TSA is but simply having a police force on the ground is a form of prevention. And given that we can’t police the sky the same way we police the ground and the massive threat that air travel can be (see 9/11), preventative seems like to best option to me.

You seem focused on the private business aspect of this but to me your stance means American citizens have to forfeit their right to be protected from others in order to fly. In fact, I would argue making air travel security the responsibility of the airlines takes that right away from all Americans. Again, see 9/11.

I’m trying to get your position. I will be honest I’ve understood this to be the libertarian position for awhile, always thought it sounded dumb, because it’s libertarian, but I’ve never really thought it through. I’m not going to agree with it but I’m having a hard time even making sense of it.

But a private business isn’t responsible for providing their own security. If you own a store and that store gets robbed you can call the police. I’m assuming you’re not against that. It’s not preventative the way TSA is but simply having a police force on the ground is a form of prevention. And given that we can’t police the sky the same way we police the ground and the massive threat that air travel can be (see 9/11), preventative seems like to best option to me.

You seem focused on the private business aspect of this but to me your stance means American citizens have to forfeit their right to be protected from others in order to fly. In fact, I would argue making air travel security the responsibility of the airlines takes that right away from all Americans. Again, see 9/11.

I’m trying to get your position. I will be honest I’ve understood this to be the libertarian position for awhile, always thought it sounded dumb, because it’s libertarian, but I’ve never really thought it through. I’m not going to agree with it but I’m having a hard time even making sense of it.
    If the airline gets robbed, they can call the police. If a store (or stripclub) wants security who check every person who enters the building, they pay for their own security.

Airlines have no interest in allowing crimes to be committed while using their service and poor security would likely put them out of business. Without the current “system” they would replace it with one they control and pay for. Just my opinion.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,638 Founders Club

Fuck Off
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,941

Says the dipshit that wants the government to pay for his healthcare and provide him with "free" college.

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Because Bush and Republicans decided to socialize airport story after 9/11. Don't you remember? It was private before then.
  • Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,246 Swaye's Wigwam
    Yet Democrats won't vote for a bill to pay the furloughed workers, proving yet again Democrats really don't give a shit about the average working person.
    2001400ex said:

Because Bush and Republicans decided to socialize airport story after 9/11. Don't you remember? It was private before then.
    Yeah it was just Bush and the Republicans that were pushing for the TSA to be public employees. And you have the gall to call other people liars.

There was opposition to making them public employees, it all came from the Republicans, all the Rats supported it and some Republicans. This is just like your lie about TARP being passed by the Republicans.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Yeah it was just Bush and the Republicans that were pushing for the TSA to be public employees. And you have the gall to call other people liars.

There was opposition to making them public employees, it all came from the Republicans, all the Rats supported it and some Republicans. This is just like your lie about TARP being passed by the Republicans.
    Bob. Fucktarded as always.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll425.xml
    2001400ex said:

Yes I do. And so?
    edited January 2019
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

They weren't unionized. That's why the Rats opposed it. After the Rats took over the Congress one of the first things they did was to give the TSA collective bargaining rights. I should have been clearer with my comments.

WASHINGTON -- A Senate committee voted Thursday to give airport screeners the collective bargaining and whistleblower protection rights that many other federal employees have.

On a strict party-line vote, Democrats on the Senate Homeland Security Committee agreed, while all the Republicans voted against, giving the screeners the right to join a union and to be protected from retaliation if they report wrongdoing.

The measure, which is opposed by the Bush administration, passed on a vote of 9-8.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

but still

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

but still
    Let me show you the difference between me and everyone other one of you liberal Kunts that post here. I misspoke, the GOP opposed making them Unionized public employees not public employees.

No days long jackass dance where I parse the meaning of "public" employee, no running and hiding like a Kunt. I misspoke. Unlike you pathetic libs my ego isn't so fragile that I can't admit when I'm wrong.

The GOP opposed making them Unionized public employees.
    2001400ex said:

And the Rats decided to give those "socialized" public employees collective bargaining rights. The only reasons the Rats opposed making them public employees is because the GOP didn't want make them unionized employees. They had no fucking problem with the "Socialization."