Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sevion Morrison, 2020 3* RB, Tulsa (Edison), OK (Offered 1/24/19)

Comments

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    a couple points I think are worth mentioning here...first, @StrongArmCobra ruins every fucking thread on this bored - just make a comment and let it go. There is no need to babysit every topic and deliver aids each time someone comments.

For @NorwegianHusky I'd say that from what I recall Coach Pete doesn't use highlight tape or Hudls and sits through entire game tapes (allegedly), so if if that's true he'd know what the kid really brings to the table.

• Options
    MotownMotown Member Posts: 144
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The bitching on this board includes these statements:

"We want more black kids on the team."

"The coaches are limiting the talent pool available to them."

"The coaches are avoiding kids from a different 'culture'."

"Anything else Dennis says."

The coaches proceed to offer a bunch of black kids from California, Texas, and Oklahoma. And not just suburban black kids either. Some of them are from areas that are known as, you know, "the hood".

The boards response:

"What the fuck are they doing?"

"What is going on?"

"Those kids are never coming here, it's a total waste of time."

The irrational hypocrisy is stunning. How does nobody else notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Where's the black kids being offered in CA? All of these recent offers that we're reacting to are in the south. It has nothing to do with that. Jake Majors isn't black and he was also a pointless offer.

Boner can't recruit black kids from LA or AZ, what the fuck makes you think he can get any from Texas or Oklahoma?
    13 out of the 16 Cali recruits offered for 2020 so far are black.

Why can't UW get kids from Texas or Oklahoma? I'm seeing a lot of excitement from those kids on Twitter when they get a UW offer. A lot of "ooh that's a big one" type of stuff from their friends. Texas kids are about winning. UW is starting to sell itself. They should be able to get 2 or 3 guys from Texas every class.

How the fuck are they ever supposed to get any of them if they don't try? Hmmmm?
    I don't even really disagree with any of that. If you think you can get a great prospect out of Texas, then sure. This guy is not a great prospect.

We should be spending time on Sam Adams and Bijan Robinson, and if Boner can't close those guys, he should be out of his job.

My point in this thread is mainly that Sam Adams is both an easier sell, and a better player. That's why this feels like a waste of time.

We need to close Sam, and then work on a legit dude out of CA, AZ, UT, or NV. If we could get Zach Evans, great, but that's never happening with Boner.
    Did you even watch his film? It's 10 minutes long of almost all touchdowns. He's crazy good. He might not be our top target at RB but he's definitely a guy I would want them to take if he wants in.

I think the hyper focused, low offer style of recruiting has a weakness. It doesn't put any pressure on our top targets to lock up a spot with us. There's no competition for UW scholarships. Guys feel free to take their sweet ass time to make a decision and it's annoying and could be disastrous if a long time UW lean takes his sweet ass time only to choose a different school at the very end of the cycle leaving UW scrambling. There's absolutely no reason a guy like Heimuli shouldn't already be signed. Perhaps if UW had offered some other inside linebackers just to create some urgency at that position, he would have been more motivated to officially visit sooner so he could lock in his spot.
    His film is mostly him running through wide open lanes. I don't see a lot of him actually being forced to make guys miss. No stutter-steps, no jukes, no jump-cuts, very few broken tackles. Every decent running back can take it to the house in high school with wide open running lanes. I'm looking for RBs that can create on their own.
    I'm not sure what you want him to do. He had nearly 3000 yards. Should he slow down to make better tape? The level of competition does seem to be lacking, or he's just on overdrive. But in the moments he stutters and then goes he he still faster than everyone. If we are recruiting him and he was getting stopped would be a bigger concern.
    Saying he's a less athleric salvon might be true, but that's like saying we ar recruiting a fast wide receiver that is obviously slower than John Ross.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Motown said:

The coaches proceed to offer a bunch of black kids from California, Texas, and Oklahoma. And not just suburban black kids either. Some of them are from areas that are known as, you know, "the hood".

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

The irrational hypocrisy is stunning. How does nobody else notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Where's the black kids being offered in CA? All of these recent offers that we're reacting to are in the south. It has nothing to do with that. Jake Majors isn't black and he was also a pointless offer.

Boner can't recruit black kids from LA or AZ, what the fuck makes you think he can get any from Texas or Oklahoma?

Why can't UW get kids from Texas or Oklahoma? I'm seeing a lot of excitement from those kids on Twitter when they get a UW offer. A lot of "ooh that's a big one" type of stuff from their friends. Texas kids are about winning. UW is starting to sell itself. They should be able to get 2 or 3 guys from Texas every class.

How the fuck are they ever supposed to get any of them if they don't try? Hmmmm?
    I don't even really disagree with any of that. If you think you can get a great prospect out of Texas, then sure. This guy is not a great prospect.

We should be spending time on Sam Adams and Bijan Robinson, and if Boner can't close those guys, he should be out of his job.

My point in this thread is mainly that Sam Adams is both an easier sell, and a better player. That's why this feels like a waste of time.

We need to close Sam, and then work on a legit dude out of CA, AZ, UT, or NV. If we could get Zach Evans, great, but that's never happening with Boner.
    Did you even watch his film? It's 10 minutes long of almost all touchdowns. He's crazy good. He might not be our top target at RB but he's definitely a guy I would want them to take if he wants in.

I think the hyper focused, low offer style of recruiting has a weakness. It doesn't put any pressure on our top targets to lock up a spot with us. There's no competition for UW scholarships. Guys feel free to take their sweet ass time to make a decision and it's annoying and could be disastrous if a long time UW lean takes his sweet ass time only to choose a different school at the very end of the cycle leaving UW scrambling. There's absolutely no reason a guy like Heimuli shouldn't already be signed. Perhaps if UW had offered some other inside linebackers just to create some urgency at that position, he would have been more motivated to officially visit sooner so he could lock in his spot.
    His film is mostly him running through wide open lanes. I don't see a lot of him actually being forced to make guys miss. No stutter-steps, no jukes, no jump-cuts, very few broken tackles. Every decent running back can take it to the house in high school with wide open running lanes. I'm looking for RBs that can create on their own.
    I'm not sure what you want him to do. He had nearly 3000 yards. Should he slow down to make better tape? The level of competition does seem to be lacking, or he's just on overdrive. But in the moments he stutters and then goes he he still faster than everyone. If we are recruiting him and he was getting stopped would be a bigger concern.
    Saying he's a less athleric salvon might be true, but that's like saying we ar recruiting a fast wide receiver that is obviously slower than John Ross.
    He’s not saying the kid needs to do more on those plays, he’s just saying those plays don’t really tell us how good of an RB he can be.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    edited January 2019

Motown said:

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

He’s not saying the kid needs to do more on those plays, he’s just saying those plays don’t really tell us how good of an RB he can be.
    Hey, thanks for knowing how to read. I appreciate you.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    I think he's awesome and would love to see him playing for UW. Go Dawgs!
  • Options
    ThoroughDawgThoroughDawg Member Posts: 186

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

I’d be more impressed by their excitement if they posted the correct name of the University.

For all the value/meaning the staff places on the offers.... how many offers have gone out to out of region kids for how many commits. Levi/Fuller/Curne

For fucks sake, look at what happened with Kennedy Lewis that’s the likely scenario for most of these kids.

Promise you we’d have a higher closing rate if we focus more on Cali with an RB coach that’s better at recruiting than he is at creeping Instagram/Twitter wannabe models.
  • Options

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

I’d be more impressed by their excitement if they posted the correct name of the University.

For all the value/meaning the staff places on the offers.... how many offers have gone out to out of region kids for how many commits. Levi/Fuller/Curne

For fucks sake, look at what happened with Kennedy Lewis that’s the likely scenario for most of these kids.

Promise you we’d have a higher closing rate if we focus more on Cali with an RB coach that’s better at recruiting than he is at creeping Instagram/Twitter wannabe models.
    How about just offer the best kids available that fit UW's culture? California doesn't have that many great RB prospects these days. Texas has deeper talent at that position right now.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

How about just offer the best kids available that fit UW's culture? California doesn't have that many great RB prospects these days. Texas has deeper talent at that position right now.
    Its a waste of resources... Good RBs from Texas are not going to come to UW unless they have some unique prior connection to at least to the west coast.

UW would struggle to directly recruit against UH, TT, TCU, SMU, or Baylor... Let alone actual big name schools recruiting top tier players like UT, TAMU, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, or Alabama

USC is busy stabbing itself in the face, UCLA still doesn't care about football, Stanford glow is wearing thin, Arizona schools are stuck in mediocrity... there has never been an easier time for UW to not only lock down its own PNW area but to establish itself in California and Hawaii where kids actually know that its not Washington University from St. Louis that is calling them.

Shit... WE? are going to lose Sam Adams from fucking Eastside Catholic to TAMU... and you want to spend resources diving into Texas????
  • Options

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

From 2015-2019, per 247, UW has offered 554 PSAs. In that time frame, we've offered 93 kids from Texas, about 17% of total offers. The Huskies signed 106 players from 2015-2019, with only 4 coming from Texas, about 4%.

2015-2019 signees & offers by in our "region" by state (I'm excluding Idaho, Wyoming, Montana & New Mexico... Not enough FBS prospects) and the hit %:

AZ: 5/32 = 15%
    CA: 43/252 = 17%
    CO: 0/7 = 0%
    HI: 6/22 = 27%
    NV: 1/12 = 8%
    OR: 5/12 = 41%
    UT: 4/29 = 13%
    WA: 33/34 = 97%

Except for Colorado, the hit (signee) rate is still higher than in Texas.

I probably fucked up my math (I was a psychology major) but you get the gist
    Good maff but it only means something if we somehow decide "offers" indicates how much time, energy, etc is spent on those commits.

I don't believe the total investment in recruiting Texas has been anything close to 17%. I would guess it's a lot closer to the 4%.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

Its a waste of resources... Good RBs from Texas are not going to come to UW unless they have some unique prior connection to at least to the west coast.

UW would struggle to directly recruit against UH, TT, TCU, SMU, or Baylor... Let alone actual big name schools recruiting top tier players like UT, TAMU, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, or Alabama

USC is busy stabbing itself in the face, UCLA still doesn't care about football, Stanford glow is wearing thin, Arizona schools are stuck in mediocrity... there has never been an easier time for UW to not only lock down its own PNW area but to establish itself in California and Hawaii where kids actually know that its not Washington University from St. Louis that is calling them.

Shit... WE? are going to lose Sam Adams from fucking Eastside Catholic to TAMU... and you want to spend resources diving into Texas????
    How would you know they won't come here unless the coaches try?

Prior to building the Poly pipeline UW sucked at recruiting D-lineman. Now they're great at. You have to build that pipeline into Texas to have more success recruiting Texas. No reason they can't do it. Texas has elite football talent and Texas kids want to win. UW is winning. It's a perfect fit if you ask me.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

From 2015-2019, per 247, UW has offered 554 PSAs. In that time frame, we've offered 93 kids from Texas, about 17% of total offers. The Huskies signed 106 players from 2015-2019, with only 4 coming from Texas, about 4%.

2015-2019 signees & offers by in our "region" by state (I'm excluding Idaho, Wyoming, Montana & New Mexico... Not enough FBS prospects) and the hit %:

Good maff but it only means something if we somehow decide "offers" indicates how much time, energy, etc is spent on those commits.

I don't believe the total investment in recruiting Texas has been anything close to 17%. I would guess it's a lot closer to the 4%.
    Bingo. They offer guys early allow some time to gauge interest while expending a minimal amount of effort on them, then either move on or invest fully when it's time for the stretch run (say mid summer or so). People are making way too much of this.
  • Options
    Jayveon Sunday unofficially visited UW in hopes of receiving an offer. This kid Sevion Morrison already wants to visit UW right after getting an offer. They seem pretty interested to me. Definitely not a waste of time.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Jayveon Sunday unofficially visited UW in hopes of receiving an offer. This kid Sevion Morrison already wants to visit UW right after getting an offer. They seem pretty interested to me. Definitely not a waste of time.

If we had a recruiter who was worth a shit I would agree with you but it's Boner who would have to close this kid.
  • Options
    @NorwegianHusky This kid says his fastest 100 meter time is 10.5 and his fastest 40 is 4.4. Don't know what you're watching but like I said he's got burners. I recommend you defer to me for the talent evaluations.
  • Options

@NorwegianHusky This kid says his fastest 100 meter time is 10.5 and his fastest 40 is 4.4. Don't know what you're watching but like I said he's got burners. I recommend you defer to me for the talent evaluations.

StrongArmCobra says she’s 6’6” with a BBC
  • Options
    edited January 2019

If we had a recruiter who was worth a shit I would agree with you but it's Boner who would have to close this kid.
    The program is beginning to sell itself.
  • Options

StrongArmCobra says she’s 6’6” with a BBC
    Just because you're jealous and don't want it to be true doesn't mean it's not true.
  • Options
    TacoSoupTacoSoup Member Posts: 148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

The boards response:

"What is going on?"

I came from the angle that UW (seemingly) doesn’t throw out offers and the evidence in Texas seems to indicate otherwise.

I would say in terms of actual time, I agree it’s closer to 4%