Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

So I woke up this morning

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

E

bigcc said:

CaptainPJ said:

Houhusky said:

Elite coaches should be able to get atleast one upset/surprise/big win in 5 years, even if they luck into it. even with slightly deficient talent

UW will never have the institutional culture, structure or support that the schools in the South have created. NEVER.

Lou Holtz was brilliant at ND in this perspective.

Second point, is almost a non-starter. The loser mentality of Seattle will always lower the ceiling, especially with the “progressives” on campus, which is an additional battle any UW Coach has to battle, while others are spending their energy reloading.
    How exactly is Petersen battling campus progressives?
    @MikeDamone addressed this the other day: there is no "war" to fight with campus progressives. All teams in the Pac 12 not named Stanford are recruiting the same kids, even Cal. Other than that weird PE thing that Washington has (which as I recall is an issue with JC xfers), we? access the same kids regardless of academis. They have to meet minimums.

I heard a UW assistant coach or player giving an interview where he was trying to make it sound like Washington had the same handicap that Stanford deals with. They do not.

So if USC, which as a school is harder to get into than Washington, can pull in the talent necessary to win big, then there is no institutional barrier preventing from Washington doing so. They? just need to close the deal.

What other support do you mean? Washington has never had more money than it does today, it has a new and beautiful stadium, it's in a city that is much more well known than it has been historically, it has good enuff facilities ... what are we talking about here? If you mean we? don't have alumni lurking around paying D tackle recruits $100k to sign, well, sure, that's true, and Bama does. I don't know what to tell you about that.
    UW has always been embarrassed by the thought of being a football factory or school

That lays on the head of the coach. Its why Petersen got hired. They still go with the we win the right way bullshit. James was a threat to the president

This is NOT unique to UW but is different from say the SEC

I contend that the recent misfortune at Oregon is for the same reason. Getting secret probation for Chip buying players caused the Admin to pull back the reigns

UW has been behind Oregon since the 90's in marketing, facilities and recruiting

Pretty good is good enough. ND fired Ty after three years, UW gave him 4 to get Owen12

Bottom line and thanks for hopping on is that UW can't buy players without the risk of their own dropping a dime on them.
    Never forget that Suzzallo got rid of Gil Dobie(who went on to win multiple championships for another school) for the same reasons uppercampus got rid of James. We might be BAMA! if it wasn't for uppercampus never being okay with their brand being sullied by the likes of football.
    People like @Doog_de_Jour forget that when Uncle Race was a young man in the early 20th century, #myrowboat was king and a bigger deal at UW that leather helmet football. And that that fucking ivory tower feeg, Suzallo, did try hard to fire Hiram Coninbear, the crew corch for being too powerful and not enough into academis.
    I knew rowboat was the marquee sport back in the day, but had no idea Suzallo tried to get the coach fired...

...unlike Race, I wasn’t there.
    It was right after the end of the 1916 racing season that the simmering issues built up over the years between Conibear and the University came to a boil. There are conflicting accounts of what exactly transpired to send Hiram Conibear back east for a six month “leave of absence”. The Tyee suggests it was Conibear who volunteered to “go east to study methods used by the coaches of other crews” (1), however George Pocock paints a more likely scenario.

Henry Suzzallo had taken the reins of the University as president in 1915. His dedication to education went hand in hand with a perception that athletics were over-prioritized on campus and out of control. There was much speculation that Washington would send the crew to Poughkeepsie in 1916 – the student board even revoked the previous limitation made in 1914 – and businessmen were lining up to commit the necessary funding. Newspaper accounts in May, quite possibly planted by Conibear or his friends, had them on their way. Suddenly everything went quiet, the trip vaporized, and a couple of weeks later Conibear was gone. The efforts to revoke the 1914 agreement, or the aggressive campaign to go east may have put these two strong-willed men at loggerheads. Whatever the reason, according to Pocock, his popularity and personality led Suzzallo to fire him. Rusty Callow, at the end of his fifth year at the University and now ASUW President, reportedly then stepped in on behalf of Conibear and persuaded Suzzallo to back down. The compromise, according to Pocock, was that Conibear stop meddling in campus politics and take a six month leave (2). .
    Damn. I had no idea there was so much palace intrigue in crew.

Thank you for the history lesson!
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

and thought it was just one week ago today that I got up all excited to go watch the worst Husky Rose Bowl performance of my lifetime.

Then I thought about what I watched last night

Then I decided to pick some message bored fights on coaching, recruiting, and how do we find a way to beat Cal.

If we don't at least get as excited about branding and recruiting as Oregon does and we don't, how are we going to Dabo our way to the top? We have as good of a DC as Venables. I really believe this. But we're miles to go on offense both in coaching and players. I'll settle for a REAL O line for now.

The biggest disappointment in the 5 years so far is the inability to steal even one win or to show up ready to play every week or to have some sort of competent special teams

I do know it can change and we are recruiting better but it doesn't matter what we? think it matters what Petermen's bosses think

If you have a coach that can beat better teams before we are even in players you have an elite coach. Pete is a conundrum. I just hope he isn't Kirk Ferentz

That's how dark my mood is

Insert Eason, in place of browning, and UW wins rose bowl. But you've never understood football much Race. Stick to graphic artistry..clearly your wheelhouse.

The rest of you? Whatever your occupation, stick to that too. UW might have had 1 loss with Eason at QB, maybe.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,085
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

and thought it was just one week ago today that I got up all excited to go watch the worst Husky Rose Bowl performance of my lifetime.

Then I thought about what I watched last night

Then I decided to pick some message bored fights on coaching, recruiting, and how do we find a way to beat Cal.

If we don't at least get as excited about branding and recruiting as Oregon does and we don't, how are we going to Dabo our way to the top? We have as good of a DC as Venables. I really believe this. But we're miles to go on offense both in coaching and players. I'll settle for a REAL O line for now.

The biggest disappointment in the 5 years so far is the inability to steal even one win or to show up ready to play every week or to have some sort of competent special teams

I do know it can change and we are recruiting better but it doesn't matter what we? think it matters what Petermen's bosses think

If you have a coach that can beat better teams before we are even in players you have an elite coach. Pete is a conundrum. I just hope he isn't Kirk Ferentz

That's how dark my mood is

Insert Eason, in place of browning, and UW wins rose bowl. But you've never understood football much Race. Stick to graphic artistry..clearly your wheelhouse.

The rest of you? Whatever your occupation, stick to that too. UW might have had 1 loss with Eason at QB, maybe.
    And yet Oregon is going to win the Pac this year

Shut the fuck up
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Off-season is in'full swing.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,181
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Off-season is in'full swing.

Lots of hawt row boat and Miamuh talk in one thread. Not bad. Not bad at all.