Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Meanwhile at UCLA...

Comments

• Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Just took a commitment from an Eastside Catholic kid rated as the #205 athlete.

Other offers included Black Hilles College, School of the Mines, and Simon Fraser

Holy shit you literally weren't kidding - his offers were actually Black Hills College and Colorado School of Mines. I thought it was like when people say we're playing "little sisters of the poor". Chip is either a genius or a complete idiot.
    Build the fence Pete!
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Hi! Chip paid for a "recruiting service" at Oregon.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

*Whispers* So does everybody these days
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Now that Chip isn't at Oregon anymore I like him. He doesn't give a fuck about star ratings at all and loves being the smartest guy in the room who signs mostly 2 and 3 star hidden gems and then wins with them. I have no idea if it's gonna work at UCLA but it's gonna be fun to watch. Hope he kicks USC's ass with a bunch of kids nobody recruited. I also hope he didn't just get a late bloomer steal from our own back yard.

College football has evolved. You used to be able to win using the spread with inferior talent. You can’t anymore, as teams have evolved to stop it. Chip’s problem is, he still thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. Chip is using the IPhone 4, which was great years ago, now other coaches have the IPhone max. Chip is now behind, but is too stubborn to see that.

• Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    His O is still fine. He recruits speed. He’s a threat.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    2001400ex said:

No shit?
  • Options
    CrawfishCrawfish Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Domicillo said:

2001400ex said:

Coach Pete doesn't.
  • Options
    ThoroughDawgThoroughDawg Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2018

Just what I'm hearing

The brainwashing is in full effect

Interesting spin. What kind of accurate data on recruits is available in quantity that isn't already baked into rankings? Or is this where @NSA_Dawg has gone.
    Maybe something along these lines? That's my best guess https://theathletic.com/714810/2018/12/17/tracking-football-college-football-recruiting-early-signing-period/

I think it's more likely that he just hates recruiting.
    We knew that at Oregon too but at least he put in a respectable effort. Going into early signing period he has ONE player ranked in the top 400 nationally... at fucking UCLA!! That shit is just mind boggling. Can you imagine if Dennis was a UCLA fan?

He’d have dropped an A-Bomb on Westwood by now a la Dr. Strangelove
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just what I'm hearing

The brainwashing is in full effect

That's what Pete does. #okg
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Just took a commitment from an Eastside Catholic kid rated as the #205 athlete.

Other offers included Black Hilles College, School of the Mines, and Simon Fraser

Holy shit you literally weren't kidding - his offers were actually Black Hills College and Colorado School of Mines. I thought it was like when people say we're playing "little sisters of the poor". Chip is either a genius or a complete idiot.
    Now watch all the 2020 Eastside kids go to UCLA.
  • Options
    Crawfish said:

Domicillo said:

2001400ex said:

Coach Pete doesn't.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Meek said:

Crawfish said:

I don't get it. It seems like UCLA is purposefully avoiding the higher tier recruits. I wonder what their overall strategy is about.

https://mercurynews.com/2018/12/17/football-recruiting-what-to-watch-in-the-december-signing-window/

2. UCLA’s different, although not unexpected, approach.

Biggins indicated that with two exceptions, Bruins coach Chip Kelly is not recruiting the best of the best in Southern California.

UCLA has secured a commitment from San Juan Capistrano’s Sean Rhyan, one of the top offensive line recruits in school history, and is pursuing Mater Dei athlete Bru McCoy.

Otherwise, the Bruins are “barely involved with the elite kids, and that seems to be by design,” Biggins explained.

“They’re going after the mid-level guys and figure they can coach ’em up and development them better … They are staying away from the kids who love themselves.”

Kelly didn’t chase the 4- and 5-stars during his tenure at Oregon, either. He wants deeply-committed, low-maintenance, coachable players who fit his system.

“They’re really low in the rankings because of his philosophy,” Biggins said. “It’s strange to me, but to him, it makes perfect sense. They are actively avoiding highly-rated guys.”
    This is confusing though because it’s still a huge departure from what he was doing at Oregon. While he was absolutely selective in who he offered and made sure they were a system fit, he was still consistently pulling in top 25 classes. Now he’s at the other end of the spectrum while at a school that recruits itself.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Chip Doogs are so fucking wrong about him at UCLA. Mediocrity is as good as it will get.

The south is easy to win. He can do it. Easily.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited December 2018

Now that Chip isn't at Oregon anymore I like him. He doesn't give a fuck about star ratings at all and loves being the smartest guy in the room who signs mostly 2 and 3 star hidden gems and then wins with them. I have no idea if it's gonna work at UCLA but it's gonna be fun to watch. Hope he kicks USC's ass with a bunch of kids nobody recruited. I also hope he didn't just get a late bloomer steal from our own back yard.

College football has evolved. You used to be able to win using the spread with inferior talent. You can’t anymore, as teams have evolved to stop it. Chip’s problem is, he still thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. Chip is using the IPhone 4, which was great years ago, now other coaches have the IPhone max. Chip is now behind, but is too stubborn to see that.

I think you're jealous because the best coach Oregon has ever had is now at UCLA and you desperately want him to fail like a lover scorned. Grow up.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I think you're jealous because the best coach Oregon has ever had is now at UCLA and you desperately want him to fail like a lover scorned. Grow up.
    Chip is the best coach Oregon has ever had. That isn’t saying much, considering our second best coach was mediocre Mike. Chip was great, but that’s the key word. Chip was still pulling 4 and 5 star guys, remember Deanthony Thomas? He’s pulling in 2 and 3 star guys at UCLA. He should be getting better classes UCLA than he ever got at Oregon. Chip also coached during a time of a down USC and a dreck Washington. Mario is pulling in better recruits with more competition than what Chip had. 2 and 3 star guys will not make UCLA a consistent winner. Washington, Oregon, WSU, and Stanford will be the best 4 teams in the conference for the foreseeable future. When was the last time we could say that before this year?

Grow up? El Oh El, that’s ironic. Coming from the token retard

• Options
    edited December 2018

Chip is the best coach Oregon has ever had. That isn’t saying much, considering our second best coach was mediocre Mike. Chip was great, but that’s the key word. Chip was still pulling 4 and 5 star guys, remember Deanthony Thomas? He’s pulling in 2 and 3 star guys at UCLA. He should be getting better classes UCLA than he ever got at Oregon. Chip also coached during a time of a down USC and a dreck Washington. Mario is pulling in better recruits with more competition than what Chip had. 2 and 3 star guys will not make UCLA a consistent winner. Washington, Oregon, WSU, and Stanford will be the best 4 teams in the conference for the foreseeable future. When was the last time we could say that before this year?

Grow up? El Oh El, that’s ironic. Coming from the token retard

If I recall, Chipper hated recruiting. Like really hated it. It does not seem out of the realm of possibility to me he came back and decided fuck it I'm not recruiting anyone who likes to be recruited. Look at the guys he went after:

Sean Rhyan (HAS NO TWITTER) and Bru McCoy (insanely elite dude at skill position from his backyard).

Seems stupid with how much easily accessible Cali talent there is for him but to each their own I guess
    That’s true, but it doesn’t make it any less dumb. Chip had trouble against good teams with 4 and 5 star players at Oregon. What is he going to do with 2 and 3 star guys at UCLA? He is directly in a hot bed of college football recruiting. It should be easy to recruit in Los Angeles if he just gave it the slightest bit of effort.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    chip has reputation for liking blicks like a slave owner
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    Never heard of this kid, but he's not that bad. Reminds me a little of Dev Culp. He might turn out decent.