Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Meanwhile at UCLA...

Just took a commitment from an Eastside Catholic kid rated as the #205 athlete.

Other offers included Black Hilles College, School of the Mines, and Simon Fraser

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    CrawfishCrawfish Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I don't get it. It seems like UCLA is purposefully avoiding the higher tier recruits. I wonder what their overall strategy is about.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Crawfish said:

I don't get it. It seems like UCLA is purposefully avoiding the higher tier recruits. I wonder what their overall strategy is about.

https://mercurynews.com/2018/12/17/football-recruiting-what-to-watch-in-the-december-signing-window/

2. UCLA’s different, although not unexpected, approach.

Biggins indicated that with two exceptions, Bruins coach Chip Kelly is not recruiting the best of the best in Southern California.

UCLA has secured a commitment from San Juan Capistrano’s Sean Rhyan, one of the top offensive line recruits in school history, and is pursuing Mater Dei athlete Bru McCoy.

Otherwise, the Bruins are “barely involved with the elite kids, and that seems to be by design,” Biggins explained.

“They’re going after the mid-level guys and figure they can coach ’em up and development them better … They are staying away from the kids who love themselves.”

Kelly didn’t chase the 4- and 5-stars during his tenure at Oregon, either. He wants deeply-committed, low-maintenance, coachable players who fit his system.

“They’re really low in the rankings because of his philosophy,” Biggins said. “It’s strange to me, but to him, it makes perfect sense. They are actively avoiding highly-rated guys.”
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Just what I'm hearing

The brainwashing is in full effect

Interesting spin. What kind of accurate data on recruits is available in quantity that isn't already baked into rankings? Or is this where @NSA_Dawg has gone.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,979
    Do you mean THE Colorado School of Mines? This the premiere university in the world for mines. Big get for chip kelly convincing to risk a guaranteed 6 figure salary for the smallest chance of making it pro.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,797
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025

Lol I love how Chip leveraged his Oregon success to get one last big pay day before he retires. Now he is just wiping cheeto dust on his boner sweatpants on his company time haha. No better school than this to happen to than UCLA.

Dude is still getting paid by the niners too
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Let chip be chip.

If he kicks ass then good for him and it reaffirms his genius.

If he fails then lol.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Given how shitty they looked at the beginning of the season, that second half of the season was some great fuckin coaching
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    Interesting he was able to land so much talent at Oregon without recruiting but can’t do squat at UCLA. 🤔
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,265
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Interesting he was able to land so much talent at Oregon without recruiting but can’t do squat at UCLA. 🤔

This. The whole narrative is "What will Chip be able to do with UCLA talent"? Kind of meaningless if he makes it so UCLA has no talent.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Lol I love how Chip leveraged his Oregon success to get one last big pay day before he retires. Now he is just wiping cheeto dust on his boner sweatpants on his company time haha. No better school than this to happen to than UCLA.

Chip is 55 and has only been a head coach for 9 years. I highly doubt he is just cashing checks until he retires.

More likely he is still overestimating his coaching and development abilities like he did in the NFL.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Meek said:

Crawfish said:

https://mercurynews.com/2018/12/17/football-recruiting-what-to-watch-in-the-december-signing-window/

2. UCLA’s different, although not unexpected, approach.

Biggins indicated that with two exceptions, Bruins coach Chip Kelly is not recruiting the best of the best in Southern California.

UCLA has secured a commitment from San Juan Capistrano’s Sean Rhyan, one of the top offensive line recruits in school history, and is pursuing Mater Dei athlete Bru McCoy.

Otherwise, the Bruins are “barely involved with the elite kids, and that seems to be by design,” Biggins explained.

“They’re going after the mid-level guys and figure they can coach ’em up and development them better … They are staying away from the kids who love themselves.”

Kelly didn’t chase the 4- and 5-stars during his tenure at Oregon, either. He wants deeply-committed, low-maintenance, coachable players who fit his system.

“They’re really low in the rankings because of his philosophy,” Biggins said. “It’s strange to me, but to him, it makes perfect sense. They are actively avoiding highly-rated guys.”
    so the WSU method?