Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Medicare for all saves $5.1 trillion, new study

13»

Comments

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,189
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Here's my boring healthcare story

My wife got a new job a few months ago so she doesn't get health insurance until after 90 days.

She goes to Fred Meyer's to pick up her "We Don't Want No Babies" pill and Prilosec.

"Did your health insurance change?"

"Oh...yeah...I don't have health insurance right now."

So they go to check to see how much her prescriptions will be...I'm standing like "Fuck me....here it comes."

"$16 and $10."

WTF???!!! How she goes in with no insurance and prescriptions GO DOWN about 50%? Why the fuck do we have insurance anyways?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,770
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

All we need to do in order to make informed decisions about socialized medicine is look to our friends to the north. Specifically, to the city of Calgary. From the time period of 1985 to 2005, 2 hospitals in the city of Calgary were closed. There had been no new hospitals built or substantially expanded during that time. From 1985 to 2005 the population doubled in that city.
    Do you think demand dropped that much? If so, do tell.
    Also, during that time the Heart Institute in Spokane had approximately 30% of its patients coming from Canada. (I know several of the docs that owned it.) The Canadians were in Spokane for treatment because they would die waiting in line in the wonderful Canadian system.

Liberalism, find a cure.

All you need to know about the American healthcare system is it still ranks below Canada.
    OK, as long as you call dying because of rationed access superior.
    I mean I appreciate you're anecdotal evidence, it means fuck all but thank you for sharing.
    I like to make unsubstantiated claims about medicare for all's savings and then mock people for anecdotal evidence. That's a thing I like to do.

Also,

https://forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/06/13/why-the-us-has-better-cancer-survival-rates-than-the-rest-of-the-world/#35b122974b67

We have better access to better care and the freedom to purchase it ourselves instead of a government panel deciding that we aren't worth the "marginal improvement in life expectancy over a population".
    Going bankrupt to live an extra 3 months = great healthcare.
    My mom went an extra 5 or 6 years healthy as a horse (sorry PETA) but with severe dementia in a home because we didn't have the GUTS to kill her like she asked when she was still of sound mind

We need to set up a system for people to declare they want to be offed regardless of the other issues.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

All we need to do in order to make informed decisions about socialized medicine is look to our friends to the north. Specifically, to the city of Calgary. From the time period of 1985 to 2005, 2 hospitals in the city of Calgary were closed. There had been no new hospitals built or substantially expanded during that time. From 1985 to 2005 the population doubled in that city.
    Also, during that time the Heart Institute in Spokane had approximately 30% of its patients coming from Canada. (I know several of the docs that owned it.) The Canadians were in Spokane for treatment because they would die waiting in line in the wonderful Canadian system.

Liberalism, find a cure.

All you need to know about the American healthcare system is it still ranks below Canada.
    I mean I appreciate you're anecdotal evidence, it means fuck all but thank you for sharing.
    I like to make unsubstantiated claims about medicare for all's savings and then mock people for anecdotal evidence. That's a thing I like to do.

Also,

https://forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/06/13/why-the-us-has-better-cancer-survival-rates-than-the-rest-of-the-world/#35b122974b67

We have better access to better care and the freedom to purchase it ourselves instead of a government panel deciding that we aren't worth the "marginal improvement in life expectancy over a population".
    My mom went an extra 5 or 6 years healthy as a horse (sorry PETA) but with severe dementia in a home because we didn't have the GUTS to kill her like she asked when she was still of sound mind

We need to set up a system for people to declare they want to be offed regardless of the other issues.
    Ts and Ps.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,070
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

Liberalism, find a cure.

Also,

I have some names for that list!
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

Liberalism, find a cure.

Also,

If people were truly going bankrupt in order to keep grandma alive for 3 more months, they wouldn't being doing it. The problem is that people demand that their insurance keep grandma alive for 3 more months because they know they aren't paying the bill.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,320
    Swaye's Wigwam

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

Liberalism, find a cure.

Also,

You prefer the government telling you to get in a year long line for treatment when you'll die of neglect in six months?
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter
    The best thing you could do for healthcare in this country is get the government out of it entirely.

Make it legal for people to put aside pre-tax money in a medical savings account just as they now do for retirement and allow people to use that money for their healthcare expenses. If they have any money left over in their account at the end of their life they can pass it on like they would any other asset. Put some incentive into not spending everything just to keep grandma alive for 3 months.