Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jayden Williams, 2019 3* DB, Corona (Centennial), CA (Offered 11/15/18)

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,930
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ok fruit cakes, come the fuck down. If jimmy has him higher on his board there has to be a reason

Because he’s out of options...
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Ok fruit cakes, come the fuck down. If jimmy has him higher on his board there has to be a reason

Because he’s out of options...
    Why would you possibly believe this? We know LPJ would be thrilled with a UW offer. We have good reason to believe Chase would come here if we pushed for him. We know McMillian would probably commit within 5 hours of an offer. There are other DB's out there who are much more highly regarded than Williams that we haven't offered who should probably kill for an offer from DBU. Why would we believe that the best recruiter on our stuff who has nothing but blue chip commits so far is so badly out of options in November that he has to offer a kid who literally nobody else is on?

This just doesn't make sense. If it were just desperation there are much more obvious "desperation" kids to offer.

This is something different.

Lake seems something in Williams. Maybe he's wrong but you're not going to make much money betting against jimmy Lake evaluations.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This offer might signal that Murphy has told the coaches he’s leaving for sure. Assuming Rapp is gone too, we’re going to lose 5 players from our secondary (Murphy, Miller, JoJo, Rapp, Joyner) and currently only have 3 commits. The doog in me is hoping this doesn’t mean we’re out of it for McDuffie.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    Actually technically 6 if we count Vergara who was put on scholarship. He may have taken Joyner's schollie when he had to retire though.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I like this kid but don't would love to have seen an offer go out to McMillan.
  • Options

I like this kid but don't would love to have seen an offer go out to McMillan.

Agree
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The CB's are rolling in.

Really? People think he is going to pick us over nobody? Tuff call.
    I laffed.

@StrongArmCobra

@RaceBannon
  • Options

It's a big dick offer. UW is saying to everybody else "we're better than you and we know it. We're better at evaluating talent than you. We're better at developing talent than you. We'll offer this kid with zero offers and turn him into an all-conference performer." Jimmy gets the benefit of the doubt from me all day long. I love bringing in a kid or two with a serious chip on their shoulder. This kid has everything to prove and will play with that attitude and swag we like. I also love my point being proved that OKG's can be anybody from any background as long as they're good enough players and good dudes. Last two offers to kids from Narbonne in L.A. and Centennial in Compton.

Sure.

@StrongArmCobra
  • Options

It's a big dick offer. UW is saying to everybody else "we're better than you and we know it. We're better at evaluating talent than you. We're better at developing talent than you. We'll offer this kid with zero offers and turn him into an all-conference performer." Jimmy gets the benefit of the doubt from me all day long. I love bringing in a kid or two with a serious chip on their shoulder. This kid has everything to prove and will play with that attitude and swag we like. I also love my point being proved that OKG's can be anybody from any background as long as they're good enough players and good dudes. Last two offers to kids from Narbonne in L.A. and Centennial in Compton.

Oh great, we're not leveling up in recruiting any more! We're back to outsmarting everyone with Mountain West bullshit! This is great! Everything's great! This has totally worked out for us in the past!
    Please consult @StrongArmCobra for the "It's different with Oregon" rationalization of the year.

@StrongArmCobra

@RaceBannon
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422

Oh great, we're not leveling up in recruiting any more! We're back to outsmarting everyone with Mountain West bullshit! This is great! Everything's great! This has totally worked out for us in the past!
    Generally I would agree but Jimmy Lake is an evaluation demigod. No reason to expect this to be Kyler Manu redux.
    To expound on this, when Lake offered Hampton this bored groaned. Loudly.

Then he blew up.

When Lake offered Fabiculananananana his offer list was highly unimpressive.

Then he blew up.

Sidney Jones. Jordan Miller. Taylor Rapp. All were lightly recruited and/or lowly rated by the recruited services when Lake offered, only to go on to be very, very good DB's here.

Williams is obviously more obscure than any of those 5, but a) there are plenty of more highly rated kids we obviously could get or have a real shot at if we wanted (LPJ, Chase, Wright) so I think it's safe to assume if Lake wants this kid he sees something special in him b) Coker compared him to Byron Murphy which is ridiculous on its face given his Sparq scores but my guess is his athleticism has taken a real step forward since then and/or he was nursing an injury at that point. I just have to assume he's more athletic than those numbers or else this offer doesn't make any sense.

We've never seen Lake just extend an offer to a scrub to fill numbers. I don't see why he'd do that this time around.

I don't "trust the coaches". I do trust this coach though.
    When Hampton was offered he didn't have any senior tape out. His senior tape was way better than his junior tape. This guy is a senior.

People were more wait-and-see with Fabiculanan because of Hampton, so also not the same thing.

All the TBS veterans loved Rapp. I did too.

Not saying this kid doesn't have a chance to be good, but it's lesser than the chance for an elite recruit.

We can't consistently rely on outsmarting everyone. That's insane hubris.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    is he a rare human?

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Hey guys, jimmy lake gets paid millions to do this. I trust him, but less than Joye Thomas or Charles Clay Helton. Lake
  • Options

Generally I would agree but Jimmy Lake is an evaluation demigod. No reason to expect this to be Kyler Manu redux.

Then he blew up.

Then he blew up.

Sidney Jones. Jordan Miller. Taylor Rapp. All were lightly recruited and/or lowly rated by the recruited services when Lake offered, only to go on to be very, very good DB's here.

Williams is obviously more obscure than any of those 5, but a) there are plenty of more highly rated kids we obviously could get or have a real shot at if we wanted (LPJ, Chase, Wright) so I think it's safe to assume if Lake wants this kid he sees something special in him b) Coker compared him to Byron Murphy which is ridiculous on its face given his Sparq scores but my guess is his athleticism has taken a real step forward since then and/or he was nursing an injury at that point. I just have to assume he's more athletic than those numbers or else this offer doesn't make any sense.

We've never seen Lake just extend an offer to a scrub to fill numbers. I don't see why he'd do that this time around.

When Hampton was offered he didn't have any senior tape out. His senior tape was way better than his junior tape. This guy is a senior.

People were more wait-and-see with Fabiculanan because of Hampton, so also not the same thing.

Not saying this kid doesn't have a chance to be good, but it's lesser than the chance for an elite recruit.

I didn't say it was the same thing, I even pointed out how they were different. My point is not Williams = Hampton, my point is Jimmy Lake is really good at this shit.

Again, there are plenty of less head scratching kids we could offer. I don't think this is desperation, I think Lake really likes this kid.

Considering the rest of our DB class is highly rated and highly sought after I'm not worried about "consistently relying on outsmarting everyone". That's not what's happening here.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422

Then he blew up.

Then he blew up.

I didn't say it was the same thing, I even pointed out how they were different. My point is not Williams = Hampton, my point is Jimmy Lake is really good at this shit.

Again, there are plenty of less head scratching kids we could offer. I don't think this is desperation, I think Lake really likes this kid.

Considering the rest of our DB class is highly rated and highly sought after I'm not worried about "consistently relying on outsmarting everyone". That's not what's happening here.
    Yeah, well my point is that I don't fucking care if Jimmy Lake is good at this shit. That's a cop-out. We can still evaluate every single player on a case-by-case basis rather than saying "I trust the coaches".

Of course Lake is a good coach. That doesn't mean every DB we offer is automatically great. This kid isn't that great. He's fine, but we should have or sights set higher in stead of hoping that this kid is a diamond in the rough when there's a bigger chance he isn't.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Sure.

@StrongArmCobra

• Options
    GOATGOAT Member Posts: 177
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Hampton and Fabiculanan were offered early so Lake wanted both of them badly. This kid is being offered late in the process because we missed on other targets. He's a kid from Southern Cal who doesn't even have an offer from Fresno State or San Diego. He sucks