Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TSiO Episode #59: We Literally Always Lose to Cal

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,814
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What’s the intel/scoop on “trying okg bullshit” with dj?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,176
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hot maff talk is hot @Dennis_DeYoung

Because I'm lazy can you link me the book you were talking about? Curious if you've read any of Malcom Gladwell's books on decision making. There's a lot of parallels to what you were talking about with outlier performances creating a psychological "anchor".

Can we get a DDY recommended reading list as well?

Predictably Irrational was the name of the book (not really recommended) by Dan Ariely. The peak-end effect is the idea that people remember the peaks and ends of experiences. Pete fixated on the PEAK of how he won at Boise. Kellen Moore, PhD football, outsmarting everyone in recruiting by looking for factors that were rare so he could turn guys that, on the surface, have a 10% chance of being good into top players.

Now, he's trying OKG bullshit with fucking DJ Rodgers. You see 3 plays of him, you know he can be good. Stop thinking the situations are the same: you now recruit the players you could never get at Boise. Just make sure they won't fuck up the effort and take all good in-state players. The end.

Other books:

Blink is good by Gladwell as is the tipping point.

Best book on human minds is probably Strangers to Ourselves by Tim Wilson.

The Selfish Gene and the Extended Phenotype are also quite good by Richard Dawkins.

This is a nice discussion on the rapidly improving science of how we are understanding how gene-selection (and epigenetics, so fuck you epigeneticists, it's basically gene selection) and culture reinforce each other: https://fivebooks.com/best-books/joe-henrich-cultural-evolution/

Thank God for Protestants.
    Loved Blink and will double recommend it to anyone bothering to take our recommendations. I'll have to read tipping point.

Always had a love/hate with Dawkins. He's not wrong, just smug? In his writing.

Read Guns, Germs, and Steel before and liked it enough to read its follow up. I'll check out some of the others on the list.

As far as Pete, as I've said before I think he's learning but he's also stubborn. Had he not gotten rid of coaches and leveled up recruiting I'd be calling for his job. The fact that he did though makes me at least hopeful he can continue to adjust and evolve to his new reality albeit not as quickly as we would all like.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2018
    Fuck you intellectuals who read. Who has time for that shit? Seriously, you're the ones who make the perfect the enemy of the good. Instead, work with your hands in the physical world. That's how you learn things like "Goliath would smash David 999 out of 1000 times" instead of being like Pete and thinking, "Hey, that David guy got lucky with a trick play, so why can't we? In fact, let's try it a couple times in every game." Meanwhile we recruit a roster full of Davids while USC, Oregon and Cal recruit all the Goliaths.

Does my rant not make sense? Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse ME!!!! You're the guys who read Malcolm Gladwell, so, you librarians can figure it out while Ima go change a tire on my truck!
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739

I’m despondent for the rest of this season. Fuck this team.

Don't get despondent. Get MAD! And alienate all your friends and family, because they deserve it.

Fuck this team? How about FUCK THIS WORLD!!!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’ve found the best cure for despondency to be a MDMA depository. Let me know how it goes!
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,550
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2018

Fuck you intellectuals who read. Who has time for that shit? Seriously, you're the ones who make the perfect the enemy of the good. Instead, work with your hands in the physical world. That's how you learn things like "Goliath would smash David 999 out of 1000 times" instead of being like Pete and thinking, "Hey, that David guy got lucky with a trick play, so why can't we? In fact, let's try it a couple times in every game." Meanwhile we recruit a roster full of Davids while USC, Oregon and Cal recruit all the Goliaths.

Does my rant not make sense? Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse ME!!!! You're the guys who read Malcolm Gladwell, so, you librarians can figure it out while Ima go change a tire on my truck!

This is why America is fucked.

Hi @AIRWOLF.
    Yes... You are correct.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

This is why America is fucked.

Hi @AIRWOLF.
    I'm choosing to believe that the post above was satire.

You're still right tho
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Because I'm lazy can you link me the book you were talking about? Curious if you've read any of Malcom Gladwell's books on decision making. There's a lot of parallels to what you were talking about with outlier performances creating a psychological "anchor".

Predictably Irrational was the name of the book (not really recommended) by Dan Ariely. The peak-end effect is the idea that people remember the peaks and ends of experiences. Pete fixated on the PEAK of how he won at Boise. Kellen Moore, PhD football, outsmarting everyone in recruiting by looking for factors that were rare so he could turn guys that, on the surface, have a 10% chance of being good into top players.

Now, he's trying OKG bullshit with fucking DJ Rodgers. You see 3 plays of him, you know he can be good. Stop thinking the situations are the same: you now recruit the players you could never get at Boise. Just make sure they won't fuck up the effort and take all good in-state players. The end.

Other books:

The Selfish Gene and the Extended Phenotype are also quite good by Richard Dawkins.

This is a nice discussion on the rapidly improving science of how we are understanding how gene-selection (and epigenetics, so fuck you epigeneticists, it's basically gene selection) and culture reinforce each other: https://fivebooks.com/best-books/joe-henrich-cultural-evolution/

I love Prots but the implication of my Puritan DNA is that I did not get enough fornication as a teen.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Other books:

I love Prots but the implication of my Puritan DNA is that I did not get enough fornication as a teen.
    Scientific progress offsets a lot of the randomness in mating and health. We get way more kids to puberty than ever before.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Malcolm Gladwell is a curly hair fucking faggot and if you support him you should castrate yourself with a pair of safety scissors.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I hate my life. Fuck all of you
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    PurpleJ said:

Malcolm Gladwell is a curly hair fucking faggot and if you support him you should castrate yourself with a pair of safety scissors.

OK!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,793
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I’ve found the best cure for despondency to be a MDMA depository. Let me know how it goes!
    I took your advice last night. Holy fuck that is all.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,793
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Is it basketball season yet?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

I took your advice last night. Holy fuck that is all.
    The whistles go woooo
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

OK!
    Is it possible that you say “ok!” Multiple times in the next podcast?