Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pete's record at UW in one score or less games

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,993 Founders Club
edited October 2018 in Hardcore Husky Board

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,993 Founders Club
    *Edit* 7-12 after CAL

2014: 1- 3
    2015: 1- 3
    2016: 2-0
    2017: 1-3
    2018: 2-3

It is getting to the point where if it is close at the end of the game I have no faith we are winning.

My faith is little to none right now. I know we aren't likely to get blown out by anyone because his teams don't quit and the D keeps us in games. 2016 was the outlier where we got the breaks we needed against AZ and Utah.
    Swaye said:

There is almost no better metric to describe beta loser teams than this one. Good pull. We suck.

Pros of Pete: his teams don't quit; they usually handle with ease the shitty teams (Cal 2018 is the recent outlier).

Cons: we'll lose most of the tim to a decent or good squad if it's tight.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Close games come down to two things far above all else (with luck number three): QB play and in game coaching. One has been abysmal the other has been poor. If this trend continues with season, Yankoff or Sirmon then i will lose faith in Pete. Right now I’m willing to hope it’s fixable with semi clutch QB play, something UW hasn’t seen since Sophomore Price at best and most realistically since Tui.

FYFMFE

*Eason
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    I use to think Seattle had the best two coaches for half-time adjustments, both Pete's usually won the second half.

I haven't seen that this year.

Peterman is getting out coached. Chip bent him over behind the woodshed during the second half of the UCLA game.

It is a concern.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,576 Founders Club
    Jimmy Lakes ability to adjust stops at his underwear. Doesn't seem like Pete can help there.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,977

Helps @creepycoug IMO

Record is very different with a different QB.

It's a little more on him than 'he's playing the hand he was dealt', but a lot of those losses are on browshoes. Pete doesn't take the snaps.

I don't think Pete's a choker.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650

Helps @creepycoug IMO

It's a little more on him than 'he's playing the hand he was dealt', but a lot of those losses are on browshoes. Pete doesn't take the snaps.

Big games, close games, no matter Pete loses more than he wins. He's been a loser at UW when it counts the most. Not a signature win in almost 5 years (except maybe Stanfurd 2016). Seems like a choker to me. But think what you will creepy. We can't help you.

Helps @creepycoug IMO

Big games, close games, no matter Pete loses more than he wins. He's been a loser at UW when it counts the most. Not a signature win in almost 5 years (except maybe Stanfurd 2016). Seems like a choker to me. But think what you will creepy. We can't help you.
    I always do. Thanks. Didn't say his play calling hasn't cost the DAWGS! a few close games. But his QB shitting himself is part of the number.

He's also had really three chances for a 'signature win' by my count. The first one was forgivable; everybody loses to Alabama. The Auburn loss is a stinger, I agree.

Penn State is a hard one to score. PSU looked like the better team, but Pete made adjustments to keep it close.
    edited October 2018

Helps @creepycoug IMO

I always do. Thanks. Didn't say his play calling hasn't cost the DAWGS! a few close games. But his QB shitting himself is part of the number.

He's also had really three chances for a 'signature win' by my count. The first one was forgivable; everybody loses to Alabama. The Auburn loss is a stinger, I agree.

Penn State is a hard one to score. PSU looked like the better team, but Pete made adjustments to keep it close.
    His QB. His system. His recruiting. He's the CEO of the program. He's been repeatedly out coached in the bowl games and the loses this season. He has made his own bed, and we have to sleep in it until he changes or leaves.

Helps @creepycoug IMO

His QB. His system. His recruiting. He's the CEO of the program. He's been repeatedly out coached in the bowl games and the loses this season. He has made his own bed, and we have to sleep in it until he changes or leaves.
    Petersen leaving UW would be a dark day for that program. Who else is coming?

First adult in the position in eons.

What happens if he runs the table and wins the Rose Bowl? All is forgiven?

I just don't see choker tag on Peterman.

Close games come down to two things far above all else (with luck number three): QB play and in game coaching. One has been abysmal the other has been poor. If this trend continues with season, Yankoff or Sirmon then i will lose faith in Pete. Right now I’m willing to hope it’s fixable with semi clutch QB play, something UW hasn’t seen since Sophomore Price at best and most realistically since Tui.

FYFMFE

Agree, Hillz. If we can't improve the close game winning percentage with clutch QB play from Eason, Yankoff or Sirmon in the coming years then I will start to lose my faith (lol). As Race says, only losers worship the QB position but the likes of Tui, Mariotta and Darnold, sure made Rick, Sling and Country Legend look like better corches at times than they actually were.

The influx of 2017- 19 talent I would like to hope will lessen the number of times we find ourselves in an unexpected dwag fight like Cal 2018 or ASU 2017. We don't have the depth to weather playing w/o Trey, Hunter Byrant, MMFG, and even Hilbers. Talent and depth is the insurance policy against bad breaks and suspect corching decisions. 2016's team benefited having some of Sark's 2012 and 13 classes end up being NFL caliber guys. 2017- 19 will likely be better than anything Sark every recruited but 2014- 15 weren't great.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    The real story is even worse than the stat because he gets “wins” for games like ASU and UCLA this year, where we let a team back in it instead of blowing them out. The bigger issue I have is that Pete’s teams can’t be expected to come back from even a mild 4th quarter deficit and win. We’re 0-3 in those opportunities this year, and besides Utah last year (which was a shit team we played at home), Pete hasn’t notched a single 4th quarter comeback since football was invented in 2016. Creep is right in that a lot, if not most of that is due to having a QB who doesn’t perform well under pressure and is not an effective big play or fast paced player. Either way, Pete’s record in moments that matter fucking sucks.

Helps @creepycoug IMO

The fallacy of this logic is it is exactly the same that was used to keep nonperforming coaches in their jobs, to the point no one wanted the job when Sarkisian came. Whether Pete runs the table and wins the Rose Bowl, which I believe is highly unlikely, my opinion of him would not change. In fact, I would be more frustrated at his squandering this season's opportunities.

I agree he is the first adult in a long while. My main assertion is he needs to change his approach if he is going to make this program elite. He has had a taste (CPF in 2016) of what is required at that level, but so far I'm not seeing sufficient evidence he will make the transition anytime soon. The Cal loss was a microcosm of what's still wrong with this program.

Helps @creepycoug IMO

The fallacy of this logic is it is exactly the same that was used to keep nonperforming coaches in their jobs, to the point no one wanted the job when Sarkisian came. Whether Pete runs the table and wins the Rose Bowl, which I believe is highly unlikely, my opinion of him would not change. In fact, I would be more frustrated at his squandering this season's opportunities.

I agree he is the first adult in a long while. My main assertion is he needs to change his approach if he is going to make this program elite. He has had a taste (CPF in 2016) of what is required at that level, but so far I'm not seeing sufficient evidence he will make the transition anytime soon. The Cal loss was a microcosm of what's still wrong with this program.
    I can respect that, but I warn you that you will be in a small and lonely group in that case.

It's year 5, but then again, it's year 5. He inherited a bit of a train wreck, and had you? in the playoffs in fairly short order. There is no doubt Washington is in the best shape it's been in since James retired.

I'd deliberate for a very long time before coming to the conclusion that firing Petersen made any sense. But that's me.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter

*Edit* 7-12 after CAL

2014: 1- 3
    2015: 1- 3
    2016: 2-0
    2017: 1-3
    2018: 2-3

Out of those close games Lindy and Miles each won one in 2014 and I have it as 2-2. Hawaii 17-16, EWA 59-52, Stan and Ariz (cooper fumble) losses.
    2015 was pure crap losing to BSU, Cal with no offense, Ore scored late to make it look better, and win at USC I put on Sark.
    2016 win at Ariz was JB to Pettis in OT - back and forth game, Utah a Pettis Punt return.
    2017 ASU no offense at all, D kept us close. Utah Helicopter QB and maybe JB got us back into it. Pedo St - he had an OK game after falling way behind
    2018 Aub fell short, ASU held on, UCLA held on, Ore Missed FG JB actually got us close. Cal - no Offense.
    I have UW QBs Lindy 1-0 (kinda because of the bomb to Ross) Miles 1-1, JB 5-7 total. Cooper and Henry 0-1 each
    Pettis 1-0, Sark 1-0 for us. 9-10 total

I better look at 2014 agin