Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pete's record at UW in one score or less games

Comments

• Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650

Helps @creepycoug IMO

Record is very different with a different QB.

It's a little more on him than 'he's playing the hand he was dealt', but a lot of those losses are on browshoes. Pete doesn't take the snaps.

I don't think Pete's a choker.
    Big games, close games, no matter Pete loses more than he wins. He's been a loser at UW when it counts the most. Not a signature win in almost 5 years (except maybe Stanfurd 2016). Seems like a choker to me. But think what you will creepy. We can't help you.
    I always do. Thanks. Didn't say his play calling hasn't cost the DAWGS! a few close games. But his QB shitting himself is part of the number.

He's also had really three chances for a 'signature win' by my count. The first one was forgivable; everybody loses to Alabama. The Auburn loss is a stinger, I agree.

Penn State is a hard one to score. PSU looked like the better team, but Pete made adjustments to keep it close.
    His QB. His system. His recruiting. He's the CEO of the program. He's been repeatedly out coached in the bowl games and the loses this season. He has made his own bed, and we have to sleep in it until he changes or leaves.
    Petersen leaving UW would be a dark day for that program. Who else is coming?

First adult in the position in eons.

What happens if he runs the table and wins the Rose Bowl? All is forgiven?

I just don't see choker tag on Peterman.
    The fallacy of this logic is it is exactly the same that was used to keep nonperforming coaches in their jobs, to the point no one wanted the job when Sarkisian came. Whether Pete runs the table and wins the Rose Bowl, which I believe is highly unlikely, my opinion of him would not change. In fact, I would be more frustrated at his squandering this season's opportunities.

I agree he is the first adult in a long while. My main assertion is he needs to change his approach if he is going to make this program elite. He has had a taste (CPF in 2016) of what is required at that level, but so far I'm not seeing sufficient evidence he will make the transition anytime soon. The Cal loss was a microcosm of what's still wrong with this program.
    I can respect that, but I warn you that you will be in a small and lonely group in that case.

It's year 5, but then again, it's year 5. He inherited a bit of a train wreck, and had you? in the playoffs in fairly short order. There is no doubt Washington is in the best shape it's been in since James retired.

I'd deliberate for a very long time before coming to the conclusion that firing Petersen made any sense. But that's me.
    Except for emotional comments during particularly frustrating moments in games (and shortly after), I don’t advocate firing Petersen. However, my optimism towards him has waned, mostly due to his game time conduct and decisions. This, coupled with passionless and emotionally indifferent expression from the players, gives me pause about whether he will take the program beyond middling 9-4 and 10-3 type years. Not that I want it, nor am I so predicting, but I won’t be surprised if this 2018 team flatlines and loses the last three games. More than the offense being broken, and more than can be excused due to injuries, the team feels to me like it’s at a crossroads.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    -GPA
    - Minimal arrests/issues
    -winning overall record
    - beats Cuog
    -bowl game every year
    -highest APR in the conference
    -AD Leadership mentor
    -revenues have never been higher
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    Another way to spin this is that we have lost our 3 games by a total of 8 points.
    edited November 2018
    Baphomet said:

Another way to spin this is that we have lost our 3 games by a total of 8 points.

10 points; 13 to have won. But these stats, like losses, are for losers.

-GPA
    - Minimal arrests/issues
    -winning overall record
    - beats Cuog
    -bowl game every year
    -AD Leadership mentor

Relevance? More stats for losers?
  • dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 578

-GPA
    - Minimal arrests/issues
    -winning overall record
    - beats Cuog
    -bowl game every year
    -AD Leadership mentor

Alex, I will take ‘Things that only matter to AD’s’ for $200.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622

It is getting to the point where if it is close at the end of the game I have no faith we are winning.

This is why he and brownsocks are so alike. They have to blow people out, or it’s a nailbiter where you can count on a screwup.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    Worth noting Pete rarely loses games by more than one score. Unless he's going undefeated every year, they are only going to come from one-score games.

2014: 6-3
    2015: 6-3
    2016: 10-2
    2017: 9-0
    2018: 4-0

23-2 since we've had a pulse.

Here is Saban's record in one-score games since 2014. Obviously better than Pete's, but still far lower than Saban's overall winning percentage. Point being, good teams only lose by one score.

2014: 3-2
    2015: 1-1
    2016: 1-1
    2017: 3-0
    2018: 0-0

8-4

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    edited November 2018

Worth noting Pete rarely loses games by more than one score. Unless he's going undefeated every year, they are only going to come from one-score games.

Here is Saban's record in one-score games since 2014. Obviously better than Pete's, but still far lower than Saban's overall winning percentage. Point being, good teams only lose by one score.

8-4

To add to your point Saban has gone undefeated once. One time. Uno. And only one time was the one loss in the title game. Its hard. Losing to Auburn was not unexpected even though they cratered. Any Husky coach who loses to Oregon will get a load of shit. Its Cal that has everyone verklemt. Win the League and this old Husky will forgive all. Stack up league titles like cord wood, recruit like a motherfucker and win the national games. The formula.

Still the GOAT. I'm glad Race will outlive me because I would be really sad if he died.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    Swaye said:

8-4

To add to your point Saban has gone undefeated once. One time. Uno. And only one time was the one loss in the title game. Its hard. Losing to Auburn was not unexpected even though they cratered. Any Husky coach who loses to Oregon will get a load of shit. Its Cal that has everyone verklemt. Win the League and this old Husky will forgive all. Stack up league titles like cord wood, recruit like a motherfucker and win the national games. The formula.

Still the GOAT. I'm glad Race will outlive me because I would be really sad if he died.
    @Passion and @AIRWOLF, true??11?!!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,576 Founders Club
    Hate makes me stronger
  • SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 369
    Stop blaming Pete for Browning being a pant shitter.
    UW is going to steamroll people the next 2 years.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Baphomet said:

We still lost
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

Stop blaming Pete for Browning being a pant shitter.
    UW is going to steamroll people the next 2 years.

2022 will be speshul POTD!
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,181

Helps @creepycoug IMO

It's a little more on him than 'he's playing the hand he was dealt', but a lot of those losses are on browshoes. Pete doesn't take the snaps.

Big games, close games, no matter Pete loses more than he wins. He's been a loser at UW when it counts the most. Not a signature win in almost 5 years (except maybe Stanfurd 2016). Seems like a choker to me. But think what you will creepy. We can't help you.
    I always do. Thanks. Didn't say his play calling hasn't cost the DAWGS! a few close games. But his QB shitting himself is part of the number.

He's also had really three chances for a 'signature win' by my count. The first one was forgivable; everybody loses to Alabama. The Auburn loss is a stinger, I agree.

Penn State is a hard one to score. PSU looked like the better team, but Pete made adjustments to keep it close.
    His QB. His system. His recruiting. He's the CEO of the program. He's been repeatedly out coached in the bowl games and the loses this season. He has made his own bed, and we have to sleep in it until he changes or leaves.

This is also known as The Romar Defense.

As opposed to the Romar D-fence.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,977

Helps @creepycoug IMO

This is also known as The Romar Defense.

As opposed to the Romar D-fence.
    Ok!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744

8-4

Good point. Another point to make is that these are very small sample sizes and we shouldn't be that amazed when a coin comes up heads 9 out of 10 flips.

Just a couple examples-

Mark D'Antonio- started career 6-12 in one score games then went 6-1 in 2015 to get to the CFP with a pretty overrated team. Those wins included Michigan botching a punt snap with 10 seconds left and Vernon Adams missing a wide open Byron Marshall in the final minute.

Gus Malzahn- started his head coaching career 12-1 in one score games.

His last 13? 3-10.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744

Helps @creepycoug IMO

The fallacy of this logic is it is exactly the same that was used to keep nonperforming coaches in their jobs, to the point no one wanted the job when Sarkisian came. Whether Pete runs the table and wins the Rose Bowl, which I believe is highly unlikely, my opinion of him would not change. In fact, I would be more frustrated at his squandering this season's opportunities.

I agree he is the first adult in a long while. My main assertion is he needs to change his approach if he is going to make this program elite. He has had a taste (CPF in 2016) of what is required at that level, but so far I'm not seeing sufficient evidence he will make the transition anytime soon. The Cal loss was a microcosm of what's still wrong with this program.
    I can respect that, but I warn you that you will be in a small and lonely group in that case.

It's year 5, but then again, it's year 5. He inherited a bit of a train wreck, and had you? in the playoffs in fairly short order. There is no doubt Washington is in the best shape it's been in since James retired.

I'd deliberate for a very long time before coming to the conclusion that firing Petersen made any sense. But that's me.
    Except for emotional comments during particularly frustrating moments in games (and shortly after), I don’t advocate firing Petersen. However, my optimism towards him has waned, mostly due to his game time conduct and decisions. This, coupled with passionless and emotionally indifferent expression from the players, gives me pause about whether he will take the program beyond middling 9-4 and 10-3 type years. Not that I want it, nor am I so predicting, but I won’t be surprised if this 2018 team flatlines and loses the last three games. More than the offense being broken, and more than can be excused due to injuries, the team feels to me like it’s at a crossroads.
    This is pretty stupid since he made the playoffs in year 3.