Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

In a fantasy land where Pete comes to his senses...

2»

Comments

• whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

whuggy said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Hire Tedford away from Fresno.

Hire PGOS

Hire whoever Purdue's OC is

Tedford isn't happening

You're an idiot

It's Brohm's offense at Purdue to start with ... and you're talking about the same Purdue team that scored 13 points yesterday

I may be an idiot, but I look like Einstein compared to you. Ask anyone.

On Purdue, I didnt see their score yesterday so Ill concede that point. I did see them take Ohio State to the woodshed with balance. Brohm doesnt call the plays.
    Ohio State's defense is a disaster ...

I like Purdue and what they are doing a lot ... but I'm not sure going full spread is the answer for where we are as a program.
    Im a fan of power spreads like what chip did at Oregon. Running out of the spread and incorporating TEs that can catch into that scheme is tough to stop.

It's also not overly complicated horseshit.
    I am also. It's a run first philosophy and seems to scheme open receivers including a lot of TE throws. Unfortunately it wouldn't really suit Eason. More a Yankoff style. Can't see it with Sirmon, Morris and possibly Huard.

You dont need a running QB to do spread varients. When this offense is at it's best this year we are spreading the field and running Gaskin or finding the open receiver.

The problem with this offense we have now is it takes things from spread, west coast, pro style, power, boise state motion, trickeration...but everything is half baked. Stick to one or two things and do them well.
    Yeah I agree with that. There is no identity. But Chip's spread was always better with QB's that could run. I can't think of one who couldn't.
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    The Boise State pre snap motion shit drives me up the fucking wall. It's needlessly complicated for the skill players and doesn't really confuse the defense so I'm not sure why the fuck you see it 90% of the plays.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

The Boise State pre snap motion shit drives me up the fucking wall. It's needlessly complicated for the skill players and doesn't really confuse the defense so I'm not sure why the fuck you see it 90% of the plays.

I think it's unique to Pete and he will have a hard time abandoning it. Combine the motion shit with a running spread if you need to. Just cut out 75% of the fucking playbook and get good at something, instead of being mediocre at everything
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792
    At this point I wouldn't be opposed to Helfrich
  • PriceToBamaPriceToBama Member Posts: 44
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Hire Tedford away from Fresno.

Hire PGOS

Hire whoever Purdue's OC is

Tedford isn't happening

You're an idiot

It's Brohm's offense at Purdue to start with ... and you're talking about the same Purdue team that scored 13 points yesterday

I may be an idiot, but I look like Einstein compared to you. Ask anyone.

On Purdue, I didnt see their score yesterday so Ill concede that point. I did see them take Ohio State to the woodshed with balance. Brohm doesnt call the plays.
    Ohio State's defense is a disaster ...

I like Purdue and what they are doing a lot ... but I'm not sure going full spread is the answer for where we are as a program.
    Im a fan of power spreads like what chip did at Oregon. Running out of the spread and incorporating TEs that can catch into that scheme is tough to stop.

It's also not overly complicated horseshit.
    I am also. It's a run first philosophy and seems to scheme open receivers including a lot of TE throws. Unfortunately it wouldn't really suit Eason. More a Yankoff style. Can't see it with Sirmon, Morris and possibly Huard.

You dont need a running QB to do spread varients. When this offense is at it's best this year we are spreading the field and running Gaskin or finding the open receiver.

The problem with this offense we have now is it takes things from spread, west coast, pro style, power, boise state motion, trickeration...but everything is half baked. Stick to one or two things and do them well.
    Yeah I agree with that. There is no identity. But Chip's spread was always better with QB's that could run. I can't think of one who couldn't.
    Lockie?
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Tequilla said:

Too lazy to say "everything" ...

What I can tell from Hamden's philosophy this year is as follows:

• Strength of the team are the RBs
    • Browning is going to make a handful of really bad decisions per game - minimize what he's asked to do
    • WRs are largely average depending on what kind of growth Ty Jones would make
    • TEs more good blockers than great receivers without Hunter Bryant
    • Have a good defense that is going to minimize points allowed so don't give up short fields through mistakes
    In the end, he's called games tied to the above. There's an emphasis on the run and taking things out of Jake's hands. Jake's shown to be pissed about this and the frustration there has hit the boiling point. Fuller has disappeared in both the Oregon and Cal games.

Ironic, most of this bored wanted more run and a lot less Jake. Its happened and suddenly Hamden sucks.

• MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Too lazy to say "everything" ...

What I can tell from Hamden's philosophy this year is as follows:

• Strength of the team are the RBs
    • Browning is going to make a handful of really bad decisions per game - minimize what he's asked to do
    • WRs are largely average depending on what kind of growth Ty Jones would make
    • TEs more good blockers than great receivers without Hunter Bryant
    • Have a good defense that is going to minimize points allowed so don't give up short fields through mistakes
    In the end, he's called games tied to the above. There's an emphasis on the run and taking things out of Jake's hands. Jake's shown to be pissed about this and the frustration there has hit the boiling point. Fuller has disappeared in both the Oregon and Cal games.

Ironic, most of this bored wanted more run and a lot less Jake. Its happened and suddenly Hamden sucks.

We can't even snap the ball correctly on a 4th and 1 play in hostile territory.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,887 Standard Supporter
    AEB said:

I really liked running hard with the double tight formation and running play action off of it. We’ve been needlessly cute with the play calling. The team responds to the power identity and the running is strong enough to open up the passing. Just stick with it and go lateral occasionally not integrally.

Unfortunately Pete's always been uncomfortable with 2nd & long - which is anything over 3.5 yards, and always calls a pass play that rarely succeeds and results in 3rd & long where he has to pass. Play calling kills more drives than mistakes and lack of execution.
  • guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784

AEB said:

I really liked running hard with the double tight formation and running play action off of it. We’ve been needlessly cute with the play calling. The team responds to the power identity and the running is strong enough to open up the passing. Just stick with it and go lateral occasionally not integrally.

Unfortunately Pete's always been uncomfortable with 2nd & long - which is anything over 3.5 yards, and always calls a pass play that rarely succeeds and results in 3rd & long where he has to pass. Play calling kills more drives than mistakes and lack of execution.
    This.

Our production on 2nd down, especially 2nd & long, even on that successful opening drive was fucking atrocious.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423
    AEB said:

12 personnel definitely works for us. 21 personnel not so much. Social Justiss Warren just isn't that good and most of our RBs are better on stretch plays. Meanwhile we have two really good TEs in Otton and Kizer behind a pretty decent senior in Sample.

We can run outside zone out of 12, we're more of a threat to throw out of it, and you can even run a wham out of it if you want to go downhill or just punish teams trying to get upfield to stop the stretch plays.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    Don't worry guys ....osus offense is legit