Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2018
    This is so misinformed I don't even know where to begin. A 2 billion fundraising campaign, a 1/2 billion science center, new dorms and all the other academic buildings going up now don't happen without Knight playing. They never get the independent board - so crucial for fundraising - without his influence. Oregon will get better over time because of him. Watch what happens to OSU over the same time period. Oregon like Washington have completely failed higher ed. Private funding is everything for all colleges - public and private alike.

Degrees from large state universities not named Virginia, UCLA, Cal or Michigan are more or less fungible anyway. Big Box Wearhouse education. Don't kid yourself. A friend's D just graduated from UW and decided to become a stewardess. That doesn't happen at Chicago. Literally. Ever.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meh... don’t care either way. Just hate the ducks. Maybe it truly is that outlandish. That would explain zero duck rebuttals OR it’s true and zero rebuttals exist.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

This is so misinformed I don't even know where to begin. A 2 billion fundraising campaign, a 1/2 billion science center, new dorms and all the other academic buildings going up now don't happen without Knight playing. They never get the independent board - so crucial for fundraising - without his influence. Oregon will get better over time because of him. Watch what happens to OSU over the same time period. Oregon like Washington have completely failed higher ed. Private funding is everything for all colleges - public and private alike.

Degrees from large state universities not named Virginia, UCLA, Cal or Michigan are more or less fungible anyway. Big Box Wearhouse education. Don't kid yourself. A friend's D just graduated from UW and decided to become a stewardess. That doesn't happen at Chicago. Literally. Ever.

YKW
    salemcoog said:

YKW
    My coug broh!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    For reals. HTF do I troll the dooocks and get two cougs...
    Don’t coug it this week guys.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meh... still don’t give a fuck. And for the record, I wasn’t hard to begin with so “going soft on you” not really possible.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2018

Meh... don’t care either way. Just hate the ducks. Maybe it truly is that outlandish. That would explain zero duck rebuttals OR it’s true and zero rebuttals exist.

My rebuttal would be the whole book seems to be a welcome to 10 years ago, water is wet take. And the writer spins things the way @StrongArmCobra spins Oregon recruiting.

Martin Smith...

A) was a horrible track coach.

B was a horrible track coach who didn’t want to recruit distance runners, which is what made Oregon Oregon in track.

C) was letting distance runners who were usually Oregon locks go to Stanford, who used them to win running natties.

D) was replaced by Stanford’s track coach Vin Lanana, who in turn won a bunch of running natties at Oregon.

The writer seems like a loser who wants everyone to lose with him.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Not complicated. At. All.

People, especially doogs, are very, very selective about their Phil Knight news. If anyone bothered to do the research, the guy has thrown piles of cash toward the academic mission, as well as that of Oregon's old, now independent, med school OSHS. Libraries, buildings, endowed professorships.

And before you get too soft on me, consider this:

Years ago during my time, a group of nerdowell UW students decided to put up a shanty town in Red Square for what seemed like years to bitch about divesting the school's endowment money (which in those days was paltry) from companies with any ties to South Africa. Squarely in the debate was Microsoft. Until it wasn't. Gates was a maniac in those days and made it clear to Gerbs, keep MS out of the news with this shit or you'll never see a fucking dime. This was apartheid at the heart of the issue. MS thought they were far enough removed from actual S African ops that they should warrant no scrutiny.

Do you think the money would keep rolling in from Tech if people started bitching about various ethical issues associated with those business (of which there are many)? Give me a break man. Let the UW brass go public and tell the world they don't want Google money because of the latest scandal, and watch what happens.

State schools are no longer state schools. State budgets can't, and haven't for years and years, provided anywhere near what they need merely to operate, much less grow and compete.

It is ALL about the benjamins, and Washington would whore itself out to anybody it had to for the same reason. When it comes to academics and $$, there are no boundaries. They need it for their very existence.

Whatever you think of Oregon, it's better than that, and it wouldn't be even half of what you think it is w/o Knight. And that has nothing to do with athletics.

The other thing that gets missed here is the lead-giver momentum; Oregon has other well-heeled friends, and they are writing checks while drafting behind Knight.

Far from it. Oregon students benefit greatly from Knight and the Nike brand.

Please take your TL; DR logical, fact-based arguments the hell out of here.

People, especially doogs, are very, very selective about their Phil Knight news. If anyone bothered to do the research, the guy has thrown piles of cash toward the academic mission, as well as that of Oregon's old, now independent, med school OSHS. Libraries, buildings, endowed professorships.

Years ago during my time, a group of nerdowell UW students decided to put up a shanty town in Red Square for what seemed like years to bitch about divesting the school's endowment money (which in those days was paltry) from companies with any ties to South Africa. Squarely in the debate was Microsoft. Until it wasn't. Gates was a maniac in those days and made it clear to Gerbs, keep MS out of the news with this shit or you'll never see a fucking dime. This was apartheid at the heart of the issue. MS thought they were far enough removed from actual S African ops that they should warrant no scrutiny.

Do you think the money would keep rolling in from Tech if people started bitching about various ethical issues associated with those business (of which there are many)? Give me a break man. Let the UW brass go public and tell the world they don't want Google money because of the latest scandal, and watch what happens.

State schools are no longer state schools. State budgets can't, and haven't for years and years, provided anywhere near what they need merely to operate, much less grow and compete.

It is ALL about the benjamins, and Washington would whore itself out to anybody it had to for the same reason. When it comes to academics and $$, there are no boundaries. They need it for their very existence.

Whatever you think of Oregon, it's better than that, and it wouldn't be even half of what you think it is w/o Knight. And that has nothing to do with athletics.

The other thing that gets missed here is the lead-giver momentum; Oregon has other well-heeled friends, and they are writing checks while drafting behind Knight.

Why do you have no life and why are you obsessed with me? Why do you have nearly 8,000 posts on a UW board when you're a WSU fan? Why do you think your opinion is at all relevant here?
    Swaye's Wigwam

Of all the bleached anuses I know, you are now my favorite.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

@CreepyQuookWannabeCuog, your true feathers are showing.
    MisterEm said:

@CreepyQuookWannabeCuog, your true feathers are showing.
    Fuck off Kunt if you can't handle facts and can only handle what you want to hear.

Strawman strawman strawman strawman strawman strawman strawman strawman

ass fucker.

Of all the bleached anuses I know, you are now my favorite.
    I'll bet you know quite a few.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I know someone's daughter who graduated from Chicago recently and works at Best Buy, but still.

I'm just glad my daughter is going to Oregon State Online. Literally no difference between that and UW. None.
    haie said:

I know someone's daughter who graduated from Chicago recently and works at Best Buy, but still.

I'm just glad my daughter is going to Oregon State Online. Literally no difference between that and UW. None.
    If that's even true, she's doing that on a very temporary basis and is on her way to grad school or a real career. Chicago and Washington students are a very different cohort. She is not doing that as a first career, I can promise you that. I know scores of kids graduated from Washington who are selling real estate and similar "no college" jobs.

And you graduated from UW's vaunted CS program and went to Cuog! Satellite for grad school. That's probably case rested.

If you think that outcomes are different for the average undergrad coming out of UW, WSU, Oregon, ASU, Michigan State, LSU, Arkansas, etc you are sorry deluded.

There are a small handful of state flagships that have managed to vault their names into door opener status regardless of major. I listed them earlier.

Every school has good individual programs.

I know you like to walk around with your dick in the air about having gone to Washington, and good for you - you picked the right major. Had you studied almost anything else it would not have mattered.

At. All.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I love academicks smack tawk.

My UW degree has paid huge dividends. I’ve almost scraped together enough money to move out of my parents’ basement.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

If that's even true, she's doing that on a very temporary basis and is on her way to grad school or a real career. Chicago and Washington students are a very different cohort. She is not doing that as a first career, I can promise you that. I know scores of kids graduated from Washington who are selling real estate and similar "no college" jobs.

And you graduated from UW's vaunted CS program and went to Cuog! Satellite for grad school. That's probably case rested.

If you think that outcomes are different for the average undergrad coming out of UW, WSU, Oregon, ASU, Michigan State, LSU, Arkansas, etc you are sorry deluded.

There are a small handful of state flagships that have managed to vault their names into door opener status regardless of major. I listed them earlier.

Every school has good individual programs.

I know you like to walk around with your dick in the air about having gone to Washington, and good for you - you picked the right major. Had you studied almost anything else it would not have mattered.

At. All.
    Oregon has a CS program? When did that happen?

Oh wait, you're talking about their CIS major where you just have to have discrete math credits.

I'm really worried about ducks and beavlets taking my job. Not sure if my skills stack up to theirs.