Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Medical retirements increase size of recruiting class?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
With Joyner and Pulu being medically retired, does this open up another 2 spots for us to take kids, or does UW figure things like this always happening into the size class they plan on taking.

Also, I think there is a 50/50 chance Chico "seniors out" and Pounds there's a 75% he is also done imo, which adds at least another 1 or 2 that we know about right now.

I thought they we were going to take 18-20 in the class. Does this push it up to 22-24 now?

Comments

• Options
    ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    No, Pete will give scholarships to try hard walk ons, and they will be our starting LB corp for the next 3 years. HTH.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Class size - coming into the season I was thinking 21 (thanks to Kaho opening one up, fyfmfe). With this info, combined with the number of blue chippers they seem to have a good probability of getting I could see it going as high as 23.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791

No, Pete will give scholarships to try hard walk ons, and they will be our starting LB corp for the next 3 years. HTH.

All the walk-ons who got scholarships this year were seniors. Wambaugh, Clark, Vegara.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    NEsnake12 said:

All the walk-ons who got scholarships this year were seniors. Wambaugh, Clark, Vegara.
    I don't think Clark is on scholarship, he's a redshirt junior though and will be back next year. Matt Preston got a scholarship and he's a senior.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Clark will get one next year
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    Whatever class size people are predicting 9-12 months out add 5.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    We’re going to have like 45 scholarship freshmen next year given that Pete is 4 game redshirting the whole 2018 class
  • Options
    PhDoogPhDoog Member Posts: 22
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I know your joking but I don't think you are wrong. Jeff is basically bigger faster stronger blacker BBK. Probably would have a bunch of offers if he wasn't from alaska and his name wasn't Jeff.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

PhDoog said:

I know your joking but I don't think you are wrong. Jeff is basically bigger faster stronger blacker BBK. Probably would have a bunch of offers if he wasn't from alaska and his name wasn't Jeff.
    who?
    Edefuan "Jeff" Ulofoshio. He's not faster than BBK and barely any bigger, but he's really nice for a walk-on. BBK would also be a really nice walk-on, but unfortunately he's a starter for us.

Also, Jeff went to Bishop Gorman, so saying he didn't get offers because he's from Alaska is wildly misleading. Also his name isn't Jeff it's Edefuan.
  • Options
    DeepDawgDeepDawg Member Posts: 544
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

PhDoog said:

who?
    Edefuan "Jeff" Ulofoshio. He's not faster than BBK and barely any bigger, but he's really nice for a walk-on. BBK would also be a really nice walk-on, but unfortunately he's a starter for us.

Also, Jeff went to Bishop Gorman, so saying he didn't get offers because he's from Alaska is wildly misleading. Also his name isn't Jeff it's Edefuan.
    https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7012
  • Options
    PhDoogPhDoog Member Posts: 22
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

PhDoog said:

who?

I've stood next to both of them. I'm probably bigger then BBK and noticably smaller then Jeff.

Spent his first 8 years playing football in alaska. Played 3 years at bishop Gorman took 2 years to adjust to competitive football and only played a full year as a senior. If you don't see how being from Alaska is a disadvantage, I cant help you.

Good thing he changed his name after enrolling or we would have never got him.
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    I recall hearing CP say the program "honors" the scholarships of medical retirees. So do med. retirements really open up a scholyt if the retiree is still enrolled in school? Or do the scholarships for med retirees come from a different scholarship pool?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I recall hearing CP say the program "honors" the scholarships of medical retirees. So do med. retirements really open up a scholyt if the retiree is still enrolled in school? Or do the scholarships for med retirees come from a different scholarship pool?

PAC-12 made some rule that made school honor medical retirement, without hitting the scholarship limit. Where the money comes from, no fucking idea
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712

PAC-12 made some rule that made school honor medical retirement, without hitting the scholarship limit. Where the money comes from, no fucking idea
    Its an NCAA rule that medical exemptions aren't "counters" towards the scholarship limits.

The Pac 12 may have mandated that schools cover these scholarships but I've never heard of a school that doesn't pay for scholarships under the medical exemption rule.

Its a big tool for the Sabans of the world. You can push dead wood out and they still get the educstion benefits.