Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Are These Staff Grades Fair?

2»

Comments

• Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    I would grade like this (coordinator, coach, recruiter):

Bush: So far B, A, A
    Boner: A, C
    Lubick: B, C (losing Ngata is awful)
    Paopao: A-, D (never signed a guy who wasn’t a chip in)
    Huff: (my guess is) B, A
    Malloe: A, A
    Kwat: A+, B, F
    Gregory: C, D
    Lake: A, A, A
    Harris: ?, ?
  • guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784

Kwat’s recruiting grade too high.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

I get what you're saying with Poapoa and recruiting, but Dissly is in the NFL. Sample will be. Bryant and Otton are young, but barring injury will be too. Those two are probably, or at least have the potential to be the best of the bunch.

TE recruiting and development have been the least of our problems. Who give a fuck where the players come from as long as they are good and produce? That's the TBS and thrill of the chase obsession.

I've defended Gregory. I don't think he's a bad coach, but the special teams have been terrible this year.

that is a mark of bad coach
    I don't have a problem with canning his ass because we do need another recruiter or two on staff.

Before this year though, the special teams have been good. Azeem and Bierria developed pretty well. When Azeem got hurt in 2016, there was very little drop off with Beavers and BBK taking his place. He's been mostly good at UW.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,536 Swaye's Wigwam
    Just Promote Lake or hire Tui as the head coach and start getting the peapatch developing.

I get what you're saying with Poapoa and recruiting, but Dissly is in the NFL. Sample will be. Bryant and Otton are young, but barring injury will be too. Those two are probably, or at least have the potential to be the best of the bunch.

TE recruiting and development have been the least of our problems. Who give a fuck where the players come from as long as they are good and produce? That's the TBS and thrill of the chase obsession.
    This is why you don’t get recruiting. He fucking sucks at it. The end.

Sign good players and coach them up. The end.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

Sign good players and coach them up. The end.
    This is why we always disagree with you. He already gave him a great grade for coaching. He could recruit better than he has, it is not debatable. I will never understand why you don’t get this.
    Recruiting is signing your top targets.

Pao will be 0-3/4 this year.

Jude Wolfe, Ethan Rae, Archer and (maybe) Foskey.

That’s shit.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Regarding the great TE debate … Paopao has done fine as a coach as the TE position has been a consistent source of strength. As a recruiter, I definitely don't think he's extended himself and gotten anything too interesting. Also, someone like Dissly wasn't a TE recruit so he can't get credit for that. The challenge I'd have is who has he recruited that he has missed on? Just seems like we target a specific type of player for the most part and we get them. Regardless of help, he was able to keep Bryant and Culp in-state. Can he do the same for DJ Rodgers?

As for special teams, this is a situation where you look at some of the short falls in our recruiting has hurt us this year. Special teams is typically made up of a lot of RBs, WRs, LBs, and DBs. At RB, the only guy that is going to play the balance of special teams (non-returner role) is Pleasant. Our WRs aren't really noticeable on special teams. LB depth is a known problem. DBs are what they are. It's one thing to have a great returner, but you make big returns through the blocking, etc. taking place. Without diving into detail I'm thinking a lot of our coverage/return problems stem from the fact that we've just got a lot of JAGs out there for those plays.
    Culp was Lubick.

Dissly a DL.

Kizer had no other real offers and we offered him after we whiffed on all our top targets.

Otton was coming no matter what as was Sample.

Bryant was a layup.
    We used to play starters and top reserves on special teams. We have no depth at LB, so we can't afford to play BBK or Tevis.

I remember both of them and Bierria on the kickoff team. Ezekiel Turner and Lavon Coleman were both studs on special teams.

Pete used to talk about having starters on the special teams units.

It's hard to tell on tv who we have on the kickoff team now. Molden and Rapp. I would assume McKinney and Taylor.

All I know is we can't cover kicks this year and Henry is inconsistent putting kicks in the end zone.

We used to play starters and top reserves on special teams. We have no depth at LB, so we can't afford to play BBK or Tevis.

I remember both of them and Bierria on the kickoff team. Ezekiel Turner and Lavon Coleman were both studs on special teams.

Pete used to talk about having starters on the special teams units.

It's hard to tell on tv who we have on the kickoff team now. Molden and Rapp. I would assume McKinney and Taylor.

All I know is we can't cover kicks this year and Henry is inconsistent putting kicks in the end zone.

Starters play all the time.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    Coordinators: (Coaching, recruiting, coordinating)

Lake(as a DC): A+, A, C
    Hamdan: A (at WR, hard to know at QB), A (same), B+ (the offense is run much better than under Smith, big time upgrade)

Others (Coaching, recruiting,

Lubick: B (receivers have taken a step forward this year), B
    Boner: B, D (no idea how he's recruiting coordinator)
    Paopao: A+, C- (could be lower than this but if you can make every shit player you recruit a pro you're not a huge liability in recruiting)
    Huff: B+, A

Kwat: B- (as position coach, A++ as coordinator), F
    Gregory: B- (position), C- (special teams), C- (recruiter)
    Malloe: B+, A
    Harris: Incomplete, no way of knowing what the hell he does

My biggest divergence with the TSIO guys is TSIO seems to grade recruiting simply on ability to sell to your top targets. I think that's the majority of it, but I think identifying talent is not insignificant part of the recruiting grade, especially if you're not somebody that can outslug the big boys for whoever you want. Paopao, for example, does that really well. Our other poor recruiters don't do it nearly so well. Lake is great at this too though obviously more capable of going toe to toe for guys, but he still unearths under recruiting studs every class. If Kwat could do that I wouldn't care so much that he can't outrecruit everybody for the top guys on the bored. But he can't. Sigh.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    I love this bored after a loss.

Miss @Babushka yet?
    Considering Kwat coaches OLB's, he's a C at best for his position coaching. Zero sacks from his group.

We used to be great at that spot. Kikaha was a dominant pass rusher.

Feeney and Littleton were great in 2015.

Mathis was really coming on before he got hurt.

Psalm and O'Brien got more pressure on QB's than we do now.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,112

Considering Kwat coaches OLB's, he's a C at best for his position coaching. Zero sacks from his group.

We used to be great at that spot. Kikaha was a dominant pass rusher.

Feeney and Littleton were great in 2015.

Mathis was really coming on before he got hurt.

Psalm and O'Brien got more pressure on QB's than we do now.

Benning has been useless this year and I'm worried he'll start again next year because hes the senior. He either needs to take a big step forward or Ariel/Tryon needs to take his place