Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Saw some great passes to TEs in the BYU game, and don't remember any in the UCLA game?

2»

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Baphomet said:

BlastDoor said:

The offense was incredibly limited against UCLA. We did what was easy to get points and then shutdown the offense to show nothing to Oregon. Zero TE passes, almost no outside runs and screens after the first quarter, only one wildcat run, no inside routes.

You act like Oregon doesn't have access to game film from other games or the 1st quarter of UCLA.

It's fine to say we are saving something for Oregon, but they can see the film of our BYU game, so that doesn't explain why the UCLA game plan didn't have some of the plays that our BYU game plan had.

Pete has a philosophy of attacking what the defense gives you. I'd guess that UCLA's defense is a lot faster than BYU's defense, and so UW felt the TE pass might not be as effective against UCLA.
    Good post, but I'm not really sure what UCLA's speed has to do with a TE sitting in soft spots of the zone or hitting them off play action.
  • ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,811
    Haven't rewatched the game because while I do hate myself its not to quite that extent yet. Remember thinking there was little to no motion which was strange. Only newish wrinkle I remember was the couple times they threw the tunnel screen to Fuller. My guess is they have a complementary play to run off that look this week.
  • JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,030
    The double pass on the first play vs ASU went well I think they’ll try that one again on Saturday
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,545 Founders Club

The double pass on the first play vs ASU went well I think they’ll try that one again on Saturday

Every team they play has to prepare for it
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236

BlastDoor said:

The offense was incredibly limited against UCLA. We did what was easy to get points and then shutdown the offense to show nothing to Oregon. Zero TE passes, almost no outside runs and screens after the first quarter, only one wildcat run, no inside routes.

Offense was mostly fine against UCLA. I swear some of you say we're vanilla if we don't score 50 when the reality is we aren't that good on offense.

OL is average, maybe slightly above. We don't have a Dissly dominating in the run game. yeahk true

Browning is Browning. he's playing better, obviously getting lots of feedback about standing tall and confident in the pocket and getting better field reads

Gaskin averaging only 4.5 ypc shows the OL struggles. Ahmed has been a slight disappointment. Sure, something is up if McGrew is getting playing time. McGrew is effective only if the Oline plays well.

WR's have been better than expected, but it's really Fuller and a bunch of jags. Ty Jones will be good, but he's flawed. flawed? as in inexperienced and having to highpoint underthrown balls from Browning?

When we play fast we are a lot better, but that's not Pete's style.
    truth is, we aren't good enough to play fast against the better teams and even against some of the weaker teams ... not yet anyways.

• BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    edited October 2018

Baphomet said:

BlastDoor said:

You act like Oregon doesn't have access to game film from other games or the 1st quarter of UCLA.

It's fine to say we are saving something for Oregon, but they can see the film of our BYU game, so that doesn't explain why the UCLA game plan didn't have some of the plays that our BYU game plan had.

Pete has a philosophy of attacking what the defense gives you. I'd guess that UCLA's defense is a lot faster than BYU's defense, and so UW felt the TE pass might not be as effective against UCLA.
    Good post, but I'm not really sure what UCLA's speed has to do with a TE sitting in soft spots of the zone or hitting them off play action.
    I'm not really sure either, but its the best theory I have. Put another way, due to UCLA's speed on defense, we ran plays that we thought would best counter their speed. And a TE pass might not be a play that best counter's their speed.

I suppose it could also be that UCLA saw the BYU film, and defended (gave us looks) against the TE pass -- so we called different plays.