Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Recruiting is about 3-4 years in the future. Let me illustrate...

One of the things that annoys the fuck out of me with Doogs when it comes to recruiting is the idea of NEED. Every year you need everything and tons of talent everywhere. Okay. That's the only need and you need that every. fucking. year.

But - specific to this year, why are we not dominating up front you say? Well...

Feeling like our front 7 is lagging? Do you think we might need an upgrade?

Too bad it's not the NFL and we can't just sign free agents! Anyone got a time machine in this bitch?

The time to complain about this was 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Here's what we signed on the DL (which we knew at the time we were rotating 6 guys every game)...

2015: Jason Scrempos, Ricky McCoy
2016: Levi Onwuzurike
2017: No one.

Hmmm... so we signed 3 DTs in 3 years. Great call guys!! I guess when you rotate 6 DTs every year and your stupid fucking head coach says DT recruiting is the most important thing there is... you should probably just recruit 3 DTs in 3 years and have only 1 of them be a blue chip kid.

On the lines, as we all know, unless we get those tier I players who are injury free, (like Togiai) who we have yet to really land (Tuli was injured)... no one is going to come and play that early. And if they play early they probably won't be very effective. Remember Vita in '15? That guy ended up being a beast. In year 1 he was an out of shape guy who was massively inconsistent.

How about Outside Linebacker? Well, this KEY POSITION in our defense has been recruited mostly by taking shit-tier players that no one else wanted, local guys with some potential etc.

2015: Benning, Myles Rice, Bryce Sterk, Jusstis Warren (Jesus fucking Christ: shit olympics!)
2016: Amandre
2017: Ngata, Tryon

So, basically the talented players have developed about as predicted. Amandre is a RS-Soph, Ngata and Tryon RS-Frosh... basically what you would expect out of DDY2s

How about ILB!?! These are always the easiest body types to recruit. How'd we do in those same years?

Well, we decided to stock up on lower tier players! How's that worked out? Well, medium.

2015: Tevis, BBK, DJ Beavers, Kyler Manu
2016: Eifer, Wellington (pretty good, but Eifler left and Welly can't stay healthy and we didn't redshirt him)

IN SUM:

-Pretty much the spot we recruited the best during those 3 awkward years was OLB.

-We took 2 front 7 players in 2017. Two. On a team that constantly rotates 2-3 groups of players.

-This is why we should not be in any power rankings above 10th and we will be lucky to get into the Rose Bowl.

We have one of the best coaches in the country, but...

CONCLUSION:

Recruiting is about 3-4 years down the road. Every class you need to fill every position with talented players. Players get hurt (Scrempos, Ngata, Beavers, Welly), leave (McCoy, Sterk, Eifler), switch positions (Warren), don't develop (Rice, Manu) or develop slowly unless they are top-100 type players (Levi, Benning).

It's never about one player. It's always about taking classes that cover all positions and getting a ton of talent. You never know who is going to do what, but if you get a bunch of top-300 guys and guys that Notre Dame, USC and Bama are offering you will probably be fine. We are just paying this year for our negligence in 2015-17.

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Did you cc this to Petersen?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    godawgst said:

Funny for a team that LOVES to get their back-ups plenty of reps, Lake/Kwat are essentially stuck playing Levi/Greg/Jaylon along with BBK/Tevis the whole game b/c they don't have the talent behind them to rotate other guys in without the drop off being Stevie Wonder obvious.

Why I am really surprised (and mildly concerned) that none of our true freshman inside lb's and interior guys haven't played more. Obviously we don't want to play them if we don't have to, but you'd hope at least one of them would pop and be on par with the jags we have behind the starters.

Reinforcements are coming, but it's another two years (2020) before we are going to really see it. How fucked will Levi feel next year being the only guy with any real experience on the interior.

One thing the TSIO guys are extremely good at is seeing who we are recruiting and how important roster management is.

I think Pete decided to preserve the rs for the inside LB. they most likely to play in November
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    By the way - as an addendum, I want to remind everyone that the players we are mostly getting are the Benning/Levi types. Guys who are likely to be really good, but are going to take a while to develop.

I don't think we've gotten more than 3-5 guys under Pete who we expect to be big time in big games early in their careers (top-100 types or special athletes)... Budda, Trey, Taylor, Myles come to mind. That might be it. Maybe Dom Hampton.

That's why I don't expect us to be REALLY good until 2020 or 2021. Because even though I'm psyched on our 2018 class, guys like Austin Osborne and Taki Taimani are going to take 3-4 years to hit All-American levels.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

By the way - as an addendum, I want to remind everyone that the players we are mostly getting are the Benning/Levi types. Guys who are likely to be really good, but are going to take a while to develop.

I don't think we've gotten more than 3-5 guys under Pete who we expect to be big time in big games early in their careers (top-100 types or special athletes)... Budda, Trey, Taylor, Myles come to mind. That might be it. Maybe Dom Hampton.

That's why I don't expect us to be REALLY good until 2020 or 2021. Because even though I'm psyched on our 2018 class, guys like Austin Osborne and Taki Taimani are going to take 3-4 years to hit All-American levels.

Kaho!

fuck
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

godawgst said:

Funny for a team that LOVES to get their back-ups plenty of reps, Lake/Kwat are essentially stuck playing Levi/Greg/Jaylon along with BBK/Tevis the whole game b/c they don't have the talent behind them to rotate other guys in without the drop off being Stevie Wonder obvious.

Why I am really surprised (and mildly concerned) that none of our true freshman inside lb's and interior guys haven't played more. Obviously we don't want to play them if we don't have to, but you'd hope at least one of them would pop and be on par with the jags we have behind the starters.

Reinforcements are coming, but it's another two years (2020) before we are going to really see it. How fucked will Levi feel next year being the only guy with any real experience on the interior.

One thing the TSIO guys are extremely good at is seeing who we are recruiting and how important roster management is.

I think Pete decided to preserve the rs for the inside LB. they most likely to play in November
    At the start of the year Pete thought 6-8 guys might play enough to burn their redshirts. We're two weeks away from none of them doing that.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,474
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah but how many white DL's with a last name like skaarsgaard were there in WA/OR/ID in 2015-17?
  • Options
    SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    save it for the pod please nobody gona read all this bullshit
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651

One of the things that annoys the fuck out of me with Doogs when it comes to recruiting is the idea of NEED. Every year you need everything and tons of talent everywhere. Okay. That's the only need and you need that every. fucking. year.

But - specific to this year, why are we not dominating up front you say? Well...

Too bad it's not the NFL and we can't just sign free agents! Anyone got a time machine in this bitch?

Here's what we signed on the DL (which we knew at the time we were rotating 6 guys every game)...

Hmmm... so we signed 3 DTs in 3 years. Great call guys!! I guess when you rotate 6 DTs every year and your stupid fucking head coach says DT recruiting is the most important thing there is... you should probably just recruit 3 DTs in 3 years and have only 1 of them be a blue chip kid.

On the lines, as we all know, unless we get those tier I players who are injury free, (like Togiai) who we have yet to really land (Tuli was injured)... no one is going to come and play that early. And if they play early they probably won't be very effective. Remember Vita in '15? That guy ended up being a beast. In year 1 he was an out of shape guy who was massively inconsistent.

How about Outside Linebacker? Well, this KEY POSITION in our defense has been recruited mostly by taking shit-tier players that no one else wanted, local guys with some potential etc.

2015: Benning, Myles Rice, Bryce Sterk, Jusstis Warren (Jesus fucking Christ: shit olympics!)

So, basically the talented players have developed about as predicted. Amandre is a RS-Soph, Ngata and Tryon RS-Frosh... basically what you would expect out of DDY2s

How about ILB!?! These are always the easiest body types to recruit. How'd we do in those same years?

Well, we decided to stock up on lower tier players! How's that worked out? Well, medium.

2016: Eifer, Wellington (pretty good, but Eifler left and Welly can't stay healthy and we didn't redshirt him)

IN SUM:

-Pretty much the spot we recruited the best during those 3 awkward years was OLB.

-We took 2 front 7 players in 2017. Two. On a team that constantly rotates 2-3 groups of players.

-This is why we should not be in any power rankings above 10th and we will be lucky to get into the Rose Bowl.

CONCLUSION:

Recruiting is about 3-4 years down the road. Every class you need to fill every position with talented players. Players get hurt (Scrempos, Ngata, Beavers, Welly), leave (McCoy, Sterk, Eifler), switch positions (Warren), don't develop (Rice, Manu) or develop slowly unless they are top-100 type players (Levi, Benning).

It's never about one player. It's always about taking classes that cover all positions and getting a ton of talent. You never know who is going to do what, but if you get a bunch of top-300 guys and guys that Notre Dame, USC and Bama are offering you will probably be fine. We are just paying this year for our negligence in 2015-17.

You copy and paste this shit from the internet?
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Yeah, this ain't the nadir. Just wait 'til fucking next year. That could be a real shitshow. On DL we've have Levi, scrubs and youngsters with no experience. Our LB corps will be two Glass Joe types and guys with no experience. Crow about our depth in the secondary, but losing potentially 4/5 starters is not usually a good thing. We just don't have any good, experienced, reliable bodies in the entire front seven.

Getting a higher ceiling at QB may not be enough to offset the loss of Gaskin and our two tackles. If Eason doesn't get his reads down, this could get ugly.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Meanwhile this current ILB class includes a 3* ILB recruit with a torn ACL, an allegedly underrated .84 composite ranking lunch pailer from Federal Way, and high hopes—our track record sucks—for Hemuli or some last minute surprise.

Same is it’s been until it’s not
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,543
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    A lot of times I roll my eyes at DDY poasts but he is right on regarding this
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,543
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

RealRhino said:

Yeah, this ain't the nadir. Just wait 'til fucking next year. That could be a real shitshow. On DL we've have Levi, scrubs and youngsters with no experience. Our LB corps will be two Glass Joe types and guys with no experience. Crow about our depth in the secondary, but losing potentially 4/5 starters is not usually a good thing. We just don't have any good, experienced, reliable bodies in the entire front seven.

Getting a higher ceiling at QB may not be enough to offset the loss of Gaskin and our two tackles. If Eason doesn't get his reads down, this could get ugly.

Have you noticed all of our OL will be back except for Kaleb?

And we've started fresh in the secondary before and we were in great shape. We will be again next year.

DDY, what is you take on Hilbers and Roberts thus far? They seem serviceable but obviously we need to recruit higher caliber players and not play them til their RS soph years at the earliest
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

RealRhino said:

Have you noticed all of our OL will be back except for Kaleb?

And we've started fresh in the secondary before and we were in great shape. We will be again next year.

DDY, what is you take on Hilbers and Roberts thus far? They seem serviceable but obviously we need to recruit higher caliber players and not play them til their RS soph years at the earliest
    They seem fine to me. Not amazing, but good enough to win in the Pac-12. Hilbers is the kind of guy who probably still needs to get stronger and fill out... but he's been fine.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

IN SUM:

CONCLUSION:

A few of us have been preaching this shit for years, and we were told to "let it play out" or "LIPO" or whatever the gay little acronym that doogs like to throw at anyone who is a realist.

This staff recruited some clear stars right away (Buddha, Trey, Rapp, Gaskin) but mostly they gambled on people that they "hoped would pan out" or were "diamonds in the rough" or whatever stupid recruiting cliche that the doogmen threw at us. Hence why we had Ricky F'ing McCoy and Justiss Warren and Kyler Manu. Fucking kill me. How can you survive in a pass-happy conference with shit pass rushers. It's fucking insane!

Most sane fans are willing to just complain (rather than call for Pete's head) because he is starting to bring in some rockstar recruiting classes (but for BUCK and perhaps LB), and of course because has made Washington Football relevant again. We are part of the national conversation.

But recruiting is still a work in progress. We need a fucking Tosh Lupoi-like guy to close the deal on Heimuli-type players.