Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I have finally figured out what the problem is with our BUCK recruiting!

We offer very few BUCK/OLB’s per year. Look at the scholarship offers, it’s Trice, Latu and Tuputala, of which we’re batting 1/3. What other guys have offers?

And finding a guy who can play BUCK, DE and OLB with essentially equal effectiveness is significantly more difficult than finding a corner or nose tackle (literally 100’s of thousands of players to choose from). Very few high schools are likely to run a sophisticated defense that would have a BUCK-type player, so kids rarely train themselves for it or play it live, so you have to project the player’s body and skill development more, an OLB to the body type and pass rushing or a DE to be able to drop in coverage. Nearly every school has a NT-type position, and all have CB’s, so guys are groomed for those roles.

CB and NT bodies are not nearly as hard to find. Elite ones, arguably, but they’re far more common than elite pass rusher bodies. That body type is just not the norm.

Comments

• Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2018
    So in other words, it's hard.

There is so much loser doog apologist bullshit on the Dawgman boards. This is the same talking point Kim used last year after we whiffed on every BUCK we offered. "There's only so many BUCKs out there so how could you possibly expect us to land one? Who in the conference got a BUCK commit?"
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    We need to recruit more black players on the edge, not sure helping the discussion but figured just point on the obvious
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

We need to recruit more black players on the edge, not sure helping the discussion but figured just point on the obvious

Way to point out the obvious, WACbag

• Options
    SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    This video of a legit BUCK next to regular humans has been cracking me up for months. Are these people really the same species?
  • Options
    ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    BUCK / OLB every year. From the theory, Trice, Latu and Tuputala, we filled a 1/3. What do some kids give?

Looking for a boy who can play BUCK, DE and OLB has the same effect of getting nose or nose treatment (you can really choose 100,000 players). Some high school can develop great protection by BUCK players, so children usually do exercise or play, so you need to show more body and develop the ability of the player, the OLB body type and the immediate effect or DE may fall. up. Almost every school has a NT position, and everyone has CB, so the boys are very clean about these tasks.

It is not hard to get CB and NT power. They may be elite, but they are more capable of giving a more influential body than scholars. This type of body is more than specifications
  • Options

Way to point out the obvious, WACbag

That’s the joke
  • Options
    dougthedawgdougthedawg Member Posts: 179

We offer very few BUCK/OLB’s per year. Look at the scholarship offers, it’s Trice, Latu and Tuputala, of which we’re batting 1/3. What other guys have offers?

And finding a guy who can play BUCK, DE and OLB with essentially equal effectiveness is significantly more difficult than finding a corner or nose tackle (literally 100’s of thousands of players to choose from). Very few high schools are likely to run a sophisticated defense that would have a BUCK-type player, so kids rarely train themselves for it or play it live, so you have to project the player’s body and skill development more, an OLB to the body type and pass rushing or a DE to be able to drop in coverage. Nearly every school has a NT-type position, and all have CB’s, so guys are groomed for those roles.

CB and NT bodies are not nearly as hard to find. Elite ones, arguably, but they’re far more common than elite pass rusher bodies. That body type is just not the norm.

Ya, i looks like ddy is turning into a transracial version of kim the gnome.

Next he is going to delete every thread critical of jake browning and start every sentence with "alls im sayin' is..."
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,945
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ok, I can dig this but the only solution that comes to mind is doing exactly what Pete won’t do, what whoregon does, and offer every 4-5 ⭐️ Buck prospect.
    I’m going to pretend I know how Pete thinks and I do the same thing when I’m recruiting sales people. I live in the armpit of FL and no one with real sales chops wants to live here. I’m not going to find the perfect sales rep much as Pete knows kwat sux at recruiting this position and they aren’t going to land the perfect recruit. As such, I find people who I can work with who are strong in my areas of weakness and weak in areas of my strengths. Essentially OKG’s who possess at least one of the multitude of skills needed to perform.
    Fuck... if we could just get one mutha fucker to terrorize the Qb’s in ‘19. Secondary is lights out but few (1 or 2) turnovers because of no edge rush and occasional interior pressure. I want to see more blitzes
    Thinking only MORE winning (cfp) appearance fixes this as we know Pete’s loyal to a fault. Guess we’ll see.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    Kids don't find the buck position description sexy at all.

Who wants to play a position where "you have to hold the edge and funnel the action inside so your dline and linebackers and secondary can make plays"?

That part of your primary responsibilities are to limit the big play ability if the opposition quarterback?

Big sexy buck prospects want to destroy the qb not play disciplined with a purpose.

3 years from now we'll have a much easier time attracting buck prospects when our tuiteles and bandes and heimulis and to'oto'oos are maturing and rounding into form.

At that point prospects will overcome their reluctance and play for a destructive defense.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,295
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    animate said:

Who wants to play a position where "you have to hold the edge and funnel the action inside so your dline and linebackers and secondary can make plays"?

That part of your primary responsibilities are to limit the big play ability if the opposition quarterback?

Big sexy buck prospects want to destroy the qb not play disciplined with a purpose.

3 years from now we'll have a much easier time attracting buck prospects when our tuiteles and bandes and heimulis and to'oto'oos are maturing and rounding into form.

At that point prospects will overcome their reluctance and play for a destructive defense.

I really don't think this is a problem at all. Elite pass rushers are confident enough that they'll get sacks in any system. There are just very few good buck prospects and we suck at recruiting them.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ok, I can dig this but the only solution that comes to mind is doing exactly what Pete won’t do, what whoregon does, and offer every 4-5 ⭐️ Buck prospect.
    I’m going to pretend I know how Pete thinks and I do the same thing when I’m recruiting sales people. I live in the armpit of FL and no one with real sales chops wants to live here. I’m not going to find the perfect sales rep much as Pete knows kwat sux at recruiting this position and they aren’t going to land the perfect recruit. As such, I find people who I can work with who are strong in my areas of weakness and weak in areas of my strengths. Essentially OKG’s who possess at least one of the multitude of skills needed to perform.
    Fuck... if we could just get one mutha fucker to terrorize the Qb’s in ‘19. Secondary is lights out but few (1 or 2) turnovers because of no edge rush and occasional interior pressure. I want to see more blitzes
    Thinking only MORE winning (cfp) appearance fixes this as we know Pete’s loyal to a fault. Guess we’ll see.

How is the door to door book sales these days?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    animate said:

Kikaha lead the nation in sacks I believe from that position. I doubt it’s the issue.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    Can't you fucking guys just let me rationalize in peace, goddammit!
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,979
    We need open tryouts for bucks. The rowing team has almost a hundred athletes that are the perfect size. One of them probably has some speed in him.
  • Options
    Bread said:

We need open tryouts for bucks. The rowing team has almost a hundred athletes that are the perfect size. One of them probably has some speed in him.

They might have the frame, but we will need to put weight on them. Fuck, I am actually concerning this as an viable option
  • Options
    CrawfishCrawfish Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Would you rather have 10 sacks from the strong safety position with Taylor Rapp or 4 sacks from the BUCK position?
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,979
    Carlos Johnson should have been sat down by Petersen and Romar2.0 before transferring. Kid doesn't have the right skillset and attitude for a basketball player. But it would have been perfect for buck.