Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Michigan

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,762
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Michigan is never coming back until (if) tOSU massively fucks up (as well as Penn for that matter).

This off-season showed us tOSU has no intention of fucking up.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,471
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2018

Womp. Christ.

Ohio State, LSU, Bama, USC (historically), Miami, Florida State, most of the SEC don't have money. Texas, ND, Stanford, Michigan and Northwestern have $$. I'm not seeing the importance of that variable.

Location. Many programs are in much better locations nearer to fertile recruiting grounds.

Tradition. That's the point of my poast. Only lasts so long. As evidenced by Michigan's drought.

That's a lot of ifs in your poast. My aunt and my uncle are different people. Nuff said on that.

He didnt' whip anybody. He was gifted a title on a bad call.

Really disappointed in your effert here. I've come to expect moar.

Jeeze Loueze, don't get yer panties in a bunch about 2002. Everyone knows if they played that game 20 tims, Miami win 19 of them.

Look, Kreep, I know you're a philosopher king and all and better at academis than me, but sometims I don't know if you understand the MONEY part of this. It's not how much money the chinstitution or the cumulative net worth of the alumni. Rather, it's about how much money can the athletic dept throw at getting the best corches and spending on facilities. The Kewgs have an endowment that is quite a bit larger than the University of Alabama but they are a pour in the world of college sports and Bamma is rich as fuck.

Facilities are overrated. I thought you were a DAWG!!!!!!!!!!

My Canes could win 5 in a row with a rented stadium 45 minutes from campus if the right coach showed up.

hTh

Michigan has been filling that place forever. The fact that they keep doing it is evidence that (1) there's not a damn other thing to do in Michigan and (2) they'll never be back.

Why should they? They keep selling out, selling T-shirts and selling blue sky to DAWGs like you.
    The fact that they can still sell blue sky polyana forecasts is why they can still recruit. Just ask Mario and Feld about that. #takethepac
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,257
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2018

Womp. Christ.

Ohio State, LSU, Bama, USC (historically), Miami, Florida State, most of the SEC don't have money. Texas, ND, Stanford, Michigan and Northwestern have $$. I'm not seeing the importance of that variable.

Location. Many programs are in much better locations nearer to fertile recruiting grounds.

Tradition. That's the point of my poast. Only lasts so long. As evidenced by Michigan's drought.

That's a lot of ifs in your poast. My aunt and my uncle are different people. Nuff said on that.

Jeeze Loueze, don't get yer panties in a bunch about 2002. Everyone knows if they played that game 20 tims, Miami win 19 of them.

Look, Kreep, I know you're a philosopher king and all and better at academis than me, but sometims I don't know if you understand the MONEY part of this. It's not how much money the chinstitution or the cumulative net worth of the alumni. Rather, it's about how much money can the athletic dept throw at getting the best corches and spending on facilities. The Kewgs have an endowment that is quite a bit larger than the University of Alabama but they are a pour in the world of college sports and Bamma is rich as fuck.

My Canes could win 5 in a row with a rented stadium 45 minutes from campus if the right coach showed up.

hTh

Michigan has been filling that place forever. The fact that they keep doing it is evidence that (1) there's not a damn other thing to do in Michigan and (2) they'll never be back.

Why should they? They keep selling out, selling T-shirts and selling blue sky to DAWGs like you.
    Axe Oregon or Okie St if facilities are overrated. The two national power, renta-stadium schools both happen to be located within 60 mins of enuff talent to stock the shelves at multiple elite programs. Miami's rise as a national power in college football is a very unique story.

UW would be Pitt if we had gone to the renta-stadium model.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Womp. Christ.

hTh

Axe Oregon or Okie St if facilities are overrated. The two national power, renta-stadium schools both happen to be located within 60 mins of enuff talent to stock the shelves at multiple elite programs. Miami's rise as a national power in college football is a very unique story.

UW would be Pitt if we had gone to the renta-stadium model.
    No!!!!!

I axe again, because you didn't answer. What's the deal with Michigan? You said they'll be fine, but I didn't axe if they were going to die.

I axed when I should ever expect to give a shit about them again.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,731
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Womp. Christ.

hTh

Why should they? They keep selling out, selling T-shirts and selling blue sky to DAWGs like you
    This is stupid. There are plenty of factions within Michigan's fanbase and donor base just like any other fanbase. Probably more factions because there is a split over what it means to be a "Michigan Man" (Bo said something about a Michigan Man should always coach Michigan.)

They pushed out a national title winner who won 11 games and went to the Rose Bowl in his second to last year (Carr.)

They also pushed out the next guy who was brought in to modernize Michigan football after giving him just 3 years (Rich Rod.)

As a result of those two possible premature firings Hoke probably got a year too many.

But Harbaugh too will be on the hot seat when its deserved. Its not yet.
  • Options

Womp. Christ.

hTh

Why should they? They keep selling out, selling T-shirts and selling blue sky to DAWGs like you
    This is stupid. There are plenty of factions within Michigan's fanbase and donor base just like any other fanbase. Probably more factions because there is a split over what it means to be a "Michigan Man" (Bo said something about a Michigan Man should always coach Michigan.)

They pushed out a national title winner who won 11 games and went to the Rose Bowl in his second to last year (Carr.)

They also pushed out the next guy who was brought in to modernize Michigan football after giving him just 3 years (Rich Rod.)

As a result of those two possible premature firings Hoke probably got a year too many.

But Harbaugh too will be on the hot seat when its deserved. Its not yet.
    #illbewaiting
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Mosster47 said:

Their defense was so fucking good coming into this season. I thought they'd be best in the country. Two elite corners in Long and Lavert Hill, and Hill was the highest graded PFF returning DB in the country. Third DB, Brandon Watson, is a 5th-year senior, with 38 games under his belt coming into this year. Ambry Thomas looked great as a freshman last year. The safeties, Tyree Kinnel and Josh Metellus, were both alright, and Metellus was honorable mention All-B1G.

At linebacker they had a preseason all-American in Devin Bush, and a returning all-B1G player in Khaleke Hudson (who plays the Jabrill Peppers "viper" position). Then there was Josh Ross, Devin Gil, and Drew Singleton fighting for the third spot. Their linebackers looked fucking great.

Then on the line, at SDE and WDE respectively they have Rashan fucking Gary (no explanation needed) and Chase Winovich, who had 8 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss last season. Then at DT there's Aubrey fucking Solomon and Michael Dwumfour, who kicked ass all spring. Their backup DE's are also excellent.

They legitimately have 2 top tier guys at each defensive group, and they still gave up 9,000 points to Notre Dame. That's on the coach. That defense should be tops in the country. Harbaugh should be in a much hotter seat than he is right now.

Notre Dame might not suck.
    True, despite Brian Kelly and Brian Kelly's best efforts.

I would also point out that the Michigan defense tightened up after giving up TDs on 3 of the first 4 drives against ND. The first two drives were aided by 15 yard personal fouls and the third was twice extended by penalties on failed 3rd downs. There were a few big pass plays allowed there but for the game Notre Dame only averaged 4.4 yards per play. Only 2.8 on the ground.

I know these statistics go against the popular Michigan sucks narrative but on the season Michigan is easily leading the nation at just 3.4 yards per play allowed (UW allowing 4.2) Since going down 21-3 four drives into the season against ND they've allowed just 10 plays over 15 yards in 4.5+ games (6 pass, 4 rush.)
    Michigan just played a nail biter with Northwestern.
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Their defense was so fucking good coming into this season. I thought they'd be best in the country. Two elite corners in Long and Lavert Hill, and Hill was the highest graded PFF returning DB in the country. Third DB, Brandon Watson, is a 5th-year senior, with 38 games under his belt coming into this year. Ambry Thomas looked great as a freshman last year. The safeties, Tyree Kinnel and Josh Metellus, were both alright, and Metellus was honorable mention All-B1G.

At linebacker they had a preseason all-American in Devin Bush, and a returning all-B1G player in Khaleke Hudson (who plays the Jabrill Peppers "viper" position). Then there was Josh Ross, Devin Gil, and Drew Singleton fighting for the third spot. Their linebackers looked fucking great.

Then on the line, at SDE and WDE respectively they have Rashan fucking Gary (no explanation needed) and Chase Winovich, who had 8 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss last season. Then at DT there's Aubrey fucking Solomon and Michael Dwumfour, who kicked ass all spring. Their backup DE's are also excellent.

They legitimately have 2 top tier guys at each defensive group, and they still gave up 9,000 points to Notre Dame. That's on the coach. That defense should be tops in the country. Harbaugh should be in a much hotter seat than he is right now.

I would also point out that the Michigan defense tightened up after giving up TDs on 3 of the first 4 drives against ND. The first two drives were aided by 15 yard personal fouls and the third was twice extended by penalties on failed 3rd downs. There were a few big pass plays allowed there but for the game Notre Dame only averaged 4.4 yards per play. Only 2.8 on the ground.

I know these statistics go against the popular Michigan sucks narrative but on the season Michigan is easily leading the nation at just 3.4 yards per play allowed (UW allowing 4.2) Since going down 21-3 four drives into the season against ND they've allowed just 10 plays over 15 yards in 4.5+ games (6 pass, 4 rush.)
    Yes because their offense sucked.

We are talking about the defense here.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited October 2018

Womp. Christ.

What the fuck universe are you living in? OSU, Bama, and LSU are all in the top 10 of AD revenue. FSU is top 15, and I’m sure USC would be too if they released their financials. Meanwhile no one would ever try to make the case that Miami is anywhere close to a blue blood - their success was brief and was 98% due to location. Money is and will forever be the #1 deciding factor in college football. To try to argue otherwise is mind-bogglingly stupid.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Hi again, football is a three part game.
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Hi again, football is a three part game.
    Yes, and we were discussing the part of the game known as defense. I know you want to "gotcha" me but try to actually follow the conversation first.
  • Options

Womp. Christ.

What the fuck universe are you living in? OSU, Bama, and LSU are all in the top 10 of AD revenue. FSU is top 15, and I’m sure USC would be too if they released their financials. Meanwhile no one would ever try to make the case that Miami is anywhere close to a blue blood - their success was brief and was 98% due to location. Money is and will forever be the #1 deciding factor in college football. To try to argue otherwise is mind-bogglingly stupid.
    I was talking about overall university resources.

I'm also not sure what you mean by blue blood. If you want to compare entire histories, then no, other than producing some great players, Miami was not consistently good prior to the late 70s. Maybe it's selective application about when football was invented, or recency bias. But I think you're sweeping Miami aside with hyperbole when you say they aren't 'anywhere close to a blue blood." If you meant on a revenue basis, then sure, they are not a super rich program.

If you meant on an accomplishment basis, then I think you're stretching unless you are putting a lot of weight on program accomplishment from - I don't know - a long time ago. They've won 5, come within an eyelash of three others, and won every major bowl outside of the Fiesta. They've produced a slew of All Americans and other major award winners, they've littered the NFL with impact players like no program in the country over the last 25+ years, they've fielded some of the best teams the game has seen, been part of some of the most legendary games and rivalries and streaks, and have stamped themselves as a fixture in the sport. And they've added traditions that are uniquely known for, and often copied.

I can count on 1 finger the number of great Michigan teams I've seen the last 20 years. LSU was a middling program forever.

And how is the fact that "98%" of Miami's success is due to location a problem exactly. I would score that as a big advantage. Their location isn't changing anytime soon, nor is the demographic of that location. What's the point of that as a criticism?

Miami has been up and down since really arriving as a nationally-relevant program because of coaching. They had three very successful coaches leave for unique professional football opportunities, and each man eventually publicly admitted that they regretted leaving (including Jimmy Johnson). Each one of those coaches could have run Miami for a DJ-like tenure and kept them stable and winning for years. They didn't lose those guys because of money; they lost them because they were presented unique opportunities in their profession that they didn't think they could pass up. And still, with all those coaches, Miami still found a way to come back and win. 4 coaches winning 5 titles in 25 years. If that's what a poor program can do in Miami, then I'll take being poor, and you can focus on athletic department income statements and balance sheets.

Put it this way. If as you say USC has a healthy AD revenue number as compared to Miami's, which I assume they do, do you think that has made a huge difference between the programs? We all know they got lucky af with Carroll, who was like 5th on the list when they got to him. So $$ didn't make that happen. Miami has better facilities now than they ever have.

How specifically has Miami's relatively modest AD revenue kept them 'down' and the higher revenue of the blue bloods, like Texas, kept them 'up'? I don't see it.

Sure, Bama has revenue, but they also have tradition and location, the latter two draw players in. Nobody would ever argue Miami can't get top-drawer talent. The proof is there. I can see how Bamas tradition and location feed their success. I'm not sure I see the $$ part of it as clearly as you seem to.

So what the point of your post? Miami's a JC program because the Athletic Department revenue is pedestrian? That seems like a mind-bogglingly stupid argument.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,361
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The point is: Coaches are the differentiator. You need money for football and a willingness to spend it on coaches. Michigan has that.
  • Options
    whlinder said:

The point is: Coaches are the differentiator. You need money for football and a willingness to spend it on coaches. Michigan has that.

4 coaches, 5 titles, inches from 7, yards from 8.

location and tradition seem to me the be the most relevant variables.

Texas has as much or money as anyone and isn't in Miami's zip code over the last 30-year period.

The best Trojan coach in my lifetime not named John McKay was purchased at Value Village.

Sure, you need a threshold amount of money to operate a football program.

You can't get to Mt. Olympus by just buying your way there, or Oregon would have purchased it by now.

Here's a list of the top 27 schools by AD revenue.

https://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-texas-longhorns-2017-11#1-university-of-texas-1821-million-27

We've discussed the failure rate of super coaches taking their show on the road from School A to School B. It is abysmal. We've also discussed the success rate of finding the right coach who is on his way up.

Sure, if you can sell the wife and kids to get Urban Meyer, then you do it. Most programs can pull that off for football, even w/o a huge AD budget. Miami can afford to bust for a big-name coach. They just haven't done it until they signed Richt. But most of the time, it just doesn't pay for itself. As we've discussed, Meyer is a rare bird.

The coaches who left Miami who could have had long-term dynasties would not have been retained by Ohio State or Alabama in the same circumstances. They had 'total control' packages to leave for the NFL, one of them for the marque franchise, and each one of them left Miami reluctantly knowing what they were leaving on the table. If even one of those guys stays, you have a lot less up and down than the Hurricanes have experienced. $$ wasn't going to save it though.

Not saying that $$ doesn't matter; don't twist. It just doesn't seem to be the driver.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

Texas has as much or money as anyone and isn't in Miami's zip code over the last 30-year period.

The best Trojan coach in my lifetime not named John McKay was purchased at Value Village.

You can't get to Mt. Olympus by just buying your way there, or Oregon would have purchased it by now.

https://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-texas-longhorns-2017-11#1-university-of-texas-1821-million-27

We've discussed the failure rate of super coaches taking their show on the road from School A to School B. It is abysmal. We've also discussed the success rate of finding the right coach who is on his way up.

Sure, if you can sell the wife and kids to get Urban Meyer, then you do it. Most programs can pull that off for football, even w/o a huge AD budget. Miami can afford to bust for a big-name coach. They just haven't done it until they signed Richt. But most of the time, it just doesn't pay for itself. As we've discussed, Meyer is a rare bird.

The coaches who left Miami who could have had long-term dynasties would not have been retained by Ohio State or Alabama in the same circumstances. They had 'total control' packages to leave for the NFL, one of them for the marque franchise, and each one of them left Miami reluctantly knowing what they were leaving on the table. If even one of those guys stays, you have a lot less up and down than the Hurricanes have experienced. $$ wasn't going to save it though.

Not saying that $$ doesn't matter; don't twist. It just doesn't seem to be the driver.
    National championships post dumpy, closer to campus, tuff renta-stadium - Zero!! No college team has ever won a NT playing at an off campus facility, other than those which are richly steeped in college football lore- i.e., LA Coliseum, the Orange Bowl and Legion Field in Birmingham, AL.

• Options

whlinder said:

National championships post dumpy, closer to campus, tuff renta-stadium - Zero!! No college team has ever won a NT playing at an off campus facility, other than those which are richly steeped in college football lore- i.e., LA Coliseum, the Orange Bowl and Legion Field in Birmingham, AL.

You're better than this.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

You're better than this.
    Of course, I am pretend counselor. But until Miami wins a Natty playing a Joe Robbie / Pro Players / Sun Life / Hard Rock stadium, I am going to keep breaking your balls. The stadium is a YUGE part of the college experience and one of the many things that differentiate that college game from the shitty NFL.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

They're the UCLA of the B1G imo.

Michigan has won a title more recently than any Pac-12 school besides USC.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

whlinder said:

You're better than this.
    Of course, I am pretend counselor. But until Miami wins a Natty playing a Joe Robbie / Pro Players / Sun Life / Hard Rock stadium, I am going to keep breaking your balls. The stadium is a YUGE part of the college experience and one of the many things that differentiate that college game from the shitty NFL.
    One of the things that differentiates Miami from the rest of the landscape is that most of the shit you guys eat so willingly is not a part of their deal. Half-filled stadiums spell doom for programs like Washington. Miami has never had a rabid fan base, and they won't come out on Saturday to watch an 8-6 Miami team play Virginia when they could be at the beach.

Miami is a big stakes, big game, big name, night time, show time town. They will fill up three Big Houses for a meaningful tilt with ND or Florida State. That's who they are and who they always have been. The Orange Bowl was 82k+ in capacity and they never had a problem filling it for the big games, particularly the night games. But when they aren't winning big, they won't fill a high school stadium.

None of this has ever mattered. The only thing that does matter is that there is an endless supply of Sunday talent that has grown up wanting to play for the U because of what it has always stood for to their demographic. Watch the first 30 for 30. That's it right there.

University of Miami is not a traditional school in almost all respects. It's a weird place. It's a big park with water fountains and modern buildings in Coral Gables, which is not a college town feel.

Miami is different and is governed by different rules.