Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Deficits Don't Matter... again

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

SFGbob said:

Bob loves old poor people.

No, what I would do rather than creating an unsustainable system that you're compelled to pay into your entire working life, I would have workers pay into a private system, with pre-tax money that allowed the person to invest and save that money as a personal asset. As of is now, if you're hit by a bus at 50, everything you paid into that system is gone. Yes, your wife might get a small benefit or your kids might get a few years of benefits until they reach a certain age.

My system would look much more like what a 401K plan looks like. Borrowing for a first time home purchase would be allowed, and transferring that asset to your heirs at the time of your death would also be allowed.
    You know what's funny? The military is in the process of converting from a post-20 year "defined benefits" program for retirees to one very much like the one you just described. There are three cohorts:

(1) People who are vested in the old program (like me, thank God)
    (2) People who can choose to go to the new "blended" system or stay in the old system
    (3) Newfish, who have no choice but to go with the new system.

This is gonna sound crazy, but the people who have a choice are choosing the old system by 97 to 1.

Market choices, huh? Crazy.
    So your justification for bloated entitlements is that when given a choice people overwhelmingly choose free shit?

I'm shocked! Shocked that public employees would endorse unsustainable pension programs at the expense of privately employed tax payers.
    I think the poont is that "defined benefits" retirements are way better than IRAs, corporate propaganda for the last 30 or so years notwithstanding
    They also require the entity, be it the government or business, to grow continuously to meet the future demands. Which is always funny (or shitty) when a business fails because of slow growth or regressive revenues and the board blames the retirement system for excess costs. No.... If you funded it to begin with and had the proper assumptions, it would be self funded and it would be a benefit, not a burden.
    Sweet Geezus, because the money it takes to fully fund a pension program grows on trees and isn't a burden for any private company to come up with.

There's a reason why the only people who still have pension plans are all government employees.

401K has been a great deal for me and my only regret is that I didn't start it when I first got out of college. Now imagine if my 401K also included every dollar that's been taken from me and my employers since I first started working. Hell, I'd already be retired.
    If a business does it properly and they have the right assumptions. The cost on day 1 isn't that different than a 401k. The problem is, no one manages it and it becomes severally underfunded and once you get there, you can't come back unless you perpetually grow at huge rates. Couple that with the fact that businesses used shitty assumptions, including average lifespan, it it's a sister waiting to happen.

The government pension is essentially a Ponzi scheme, with current revenues funding current retirees.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I dunno, I'm just slumming today because of the actual rape of a supreme court nominee.

Ducks love rape.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    AZDuck said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

SFGbob said:

No, what I would do rather than creating an unsustainable system that you're compelled to pay into your entire working life, I would have workers pay into a private system, with pre-tax money that allowed the person to invest and save that money as a personal asset. As of is now, if you're hit by a bus at 50, everything you paid into that system is gone. Yes, your wife might get a small benefit or your kids might get a few years of benefits until they reach a certain age.

My system would look much more like what a 401K plan looks like. Borrowing for a first time home purchase would be allowed, and transferring that asset to your heirs at the time of your death would also be allowed.
    You know what's funny? The military is in the process of converting from a post-20 year "defined benefits" program for retirees to one very much like the one you just described. There are three cohorts:

(2) People who can choose to go to the new "blended" system or stay in the old system

This is gonna sound crazy, but the people who have a choice are choosing the old system by 97 to 1.

So your justification for bloated entitlements is that when given a choice people overwhelmingly choose free shit?

I'm shocked! Shocked that public employees would endorse unsustainable pension programs at the expense of privately employed tax payers.
    I think the poont is that "defined benefits" retirements are way better than IRAs, corporate propaganda for the last 30 or so years notwithstanding
    They also require the entity, be it the government or business, to grow continuously to meet the future demands. Which is always funny (or shitty) when a business fails because of slow growth or regressive revenues and the board blames the retirement system for excess costs. No.... If you funded it to begin with and had the proper assumptions, it would be self funded and it would be a benefit, not a burden.
    Sweet Geezus, because the money it takes to fully fund a pension program grows on trees and isn't a burden for any private company to come up with.

There's a reason why the only people who still have pension plans are all government employees.

401K has been a great deal for me and my only regret is that I didn't start it when I first got out of college. Now imagine if my 401K also included every dollar that's been taken from me and my employers since I first started working. Hell, I'd already be retired.
    Agreed. And of course, that used to be a benefit of working for a larger corporation rather than a smaller firm. Also too, part of the reason qualified individuals take positions with the government rather than private industry is that they are willing to accept lower pay in exchange for better benefits.
    Yeah but the lower pay argument has kind of gone by the boards. For some positions yes, but for most positions that no longer applies. Government employees on average are now better paid than private sector employees.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

AZDuck said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

SFGbob said:

Agreed. And of course, that used to be a benefit of working for a larger corporation rather than a smaller firm. Also too, part of the reason qualified individuals take positions with the government rather than private industry is that they are willing to accept lower pay in exchange for better benefits.
    Yeah but the lower pay argument has kind of gone by the boards. For some positions yes, but for most positions that no longer applies. Government employees on average are now better paid than private sector employees.
    Anyone who gets paid less in the public sector than the government sucks at life.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited September 2018
    SFGbob said:

AZDuck said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

SFGbob said:

DoJ is paying AUSAs like 65k their first year. I mean, obviously there's other benefits (connections, access to federal judiciary) but that paycheck blows. I'm in my 12th year as a JAG and I make probably 3/4 of my law school peers (with *much* more litigation experience), and I have to move to shitholes and get shot at. I would say you might be right at the senior levels, but most folks in the GS grades aren't exactly getting rich.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,809
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

On the economy Obama was quite clear that this is his and Trump didn’t do it

Guess Obama wants to add to his 10 trillion

Except there's identifiable actions by Trump and Congress to increase expenditures and reduce revenues.
    Call me when trump tops 10 trillion. Minus interest on Obunghole's expenditures of course.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Except there's identifiable actions by Trump and Congress to increase expenditures and reduce revenues.
    Call me when trump tops 10 trillion. Minus interest on Obunghole's expenditures of course.
    Can we talk at $5 trillion in 4 years?

If you want to minus interest. Ok, done. Now minus Medicare part D, reduction in revenues from the recession, TARP, and 2 wars from Obama. Ok sugar bear?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

If you want to minus interest. Ok, done. Now minus Medicare part D, reduction in revenues from the recession, TARP, and 2 wars from Obama. Ok sugar bear?
    Obama voted for TARP, why wouldn't he be responsible for the cost of it? I don't believe he was in the Senate when they passed Medicare part D but if he was there's no way he voted against it. And remember one of those wars was the war Obama and the Rats said they were just itching to kick ass in after Bush took his eye off the ball. So really you can minus one war.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Obama voted for TARP, why wouldn't he be responsible for the cost of it? I don't believe he was in the Senate when they passed Medicare part D but if he was there's no way he voted against it. And remember one of those wars was the war Obama and the Rats said they were just itching to kick ass in after Bush took his eye off the ball. So really you can minus one war.
    Cool. Take off what $4 trillion from Obama then?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Well his VP and two of his Secretaries of State voted for it, so 3/4 of that is still on him.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Obama spent it it's his. Since interest is now a major player in the budget lets minus Obingo's outrageous bill.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Well his VP and two of his Secretaries of State voted for it, so 3/4 of that is still on him.
    Do one thing for me. Ok? Admit that the last 2 years, Republicans control Congress and the presidency and turned a $600 billion deficit to more than $1 trillion. Ready to do that?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Do one thing for me. Ok? Admit that the last 2 years, Republicans control Congress and the presidency and turned a $600 billion deficit to more than $1 trillion. Ready to do that?
    Hondo, unlike you I'm not a Kunt. I don't have a problem answering questions and admitting obvious facts. The deficit has increased since Trump has took office, It's one of the problems I had with Trump from the very beginning. They have done nothing to address the entitlement issues that are swamping our budget.

I'm all in on cutting spending in order to bring the budget into balance and when I asked you the last time we had this discussion where you'd cut in order to balance the budget you ran away and hid.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Hondo, unlike you I'm not a Kunt. I don't have a problem answering questions and admitting obvious facts. The deficit has increased since Trump has took office, It's one of the problems I had with Trump from the very beginning. They have done nothing to address the entitlement issues that are swamping our budget.

I'm all in on cutting spending in order to bring the budget into balance and when I asked you the last time we had this discussion where you'd cut in order to balance the budget you ran away and hid.
    Look at that. You did it. And now we are having a conversation. Why only entitlements? I mean I'm fine for some entitlement reform. Don't you think we can find waste and abuse in the military too? I think the new budget is over $700 billion (off the top of my head but I'm sure I'm directionally close). Do you think we can go through the military budget and find shit we don't need to spend money on?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Look at that. You did it. And now we are having a conversation. Why only entitlements? I mean I'm fine for some entitlement reform. Don't you think we can find waste and abuse in the military too? I think the new budget is over $700 billion (off the top of my head but I'm sure I'm directionally close). Do you think we can go through the military budget and find shit we don't need to spend money on?
    Hondo, I don't dodge questions. That's your game. I'm certain that we could find some waste in the Pentagon budget. It's a fucking Government run organization, of course there is waste. I've already stated for you a couple of times now why I'd start with entitlement cuts, If we still need more saving we can then look a the Military.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Hondo, I don't dodge questions. That's your game. I'm certain that we could find some waste in the Pentagon budget. It's a fucking Government run organization, of course there is waste. I've already stated for you a couple of times now why I'd start with entitlement cuts, If we still need more saving we can then look a the Military.
    That's not how it works. It's not "we'll cut the shit I want to cut but fuck I won't touch the military". If you want to balance the budget, everyone needs to feel it.

Ok that being said. Another question. Trump and Republicans control Congress. Why do you think they haven't put forth meaningful cuts in spending. Specifically why haven't they cut entitlements?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,599
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

That's not how it works. It's not "we'll cut the shit I want to cut but fuck I won't touch the military". If you want to balance the budget, everyone needs to feel it.

Ok that being said. Another question. Trump and Republicans control Congress. Why do you think they haven't put forth meaningful cuts in spending. Specifically why haven't they cut entitlements?
    Because you whining about it is fun
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Fine welfare and section 8 are over. Budget balanced.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

That's like $100 billion. Where's the other $900 billion coming from?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

That's like $100 billion. Where's the other $900 billion coming from?
    470 billion for welfare. We'll get the rest in taxes on fast food restaurant owners. Seems they are ruining the nations health.