Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cost is no object: Scotch or Bourbon?

13»

Comments

• Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Unless it's cask strength, plenty of water's already been added in my opinion. I prefer neat unless I can only get Jameson or Dewers on a flight or something then 1 cube. I have stones at home but only to offer guests. I buy-in on the cold numbing your taste buds as a downside for the fine subtleties in my favorite Scotch's
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I can honestly say I've never had Japanese Whiskey

It's unique. There is the slightest hint of Saki in the ones I've tried, it's interesting that way
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Bourbon

The ONLY reason not to choose scotch is the insane price. If that barrier gets removed, I’m going to pound town.

Think about it this way: "cheap" single malts are aged 10- 12 years. For cheap bourbon it's 4- 6 typically some some like Eagle Rare being 10 year statements. Elijah Craig used to be 12 year old but they've since back off that (running out of stock of spirit that has been aged that long). You just don't see many bourbons that are more than 12 years old.
    That's the wrong way to think about it.

Due to the climate and the fact that bourbon is in New casks vs scotch being in used ones the aging process is totally different.

A 12 year scotch is more comparable to like a 6 year bourbon

They don't make many +12 years because most would be gross.
    I fully grasp the difference in the physics/chemistry of how bourbon ages differently in a barrel house in KY vs Scotch being in a cooler climate. But I'd be curious to hear what the loss pet year due to evaporation is at a typical Scotch distillery as opposed to Bourbon. Also the above doesn't explain why the most sought after bourbon in the world- i.e. Pappy - is aged for 15 to 20 years. Wouldn't it taste like overly oaked crap because of this and yet it does not?
    Bourbon loses a shitload - the angel's share. It's something like 25% of the barrel over 4 years. It's hot and humid as fuck in Kentucky so a good portion of that is evaporation - but a decent chunk is also absorbed into the barrel - so the wood is somewhat saturated by the time it gets to Scotland to be used for their tight ass swill.

http://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/what-is-the-angels-share/

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

You sir, are most definitely missing out. Especially if you enjoy scotch.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

You sir, are most definitely missing out. Especially if you enjoy scotch.
    The Hibiki 12 year is one of the best blended whiskeys i have ever had. Better than Johnny Walker Blue Label and like a third of the price.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch
    Ok so what do you guys recommend for a pour who wants to dip his toe into a highlands scotch?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

Ok so what do you guys recommend for a pour who wants to dip his toe into a highlands scotch?

Old Pultney 12 year. Highland Park 12 Year (not technically Highlands) but close enough.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Scotch
    IFL Scotch. Laphroaig 15 would be my second to last drink on earth.

Pierre Ferrand Ancestrale Cognac would be the last.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Glenfiddich 14 is a great place to start. Theres a decent 4 bottle sampler box from Glenmorange that includes Quinta Ruban which is port finished, I love it for an inexpensive rich highland. Balvenie 12 is a great start. A lot of the 12's are forgettable and dont offer what is spacial about Scotch in my opinion. Anyway, get after it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

Glenfiddich 14 is a great place to start. Theres a decent 4 bottle sampler box from Glenmorange that includes Quinta Ruban which is port finished, I love it for an inexpensive rich highland. Balvenie 12 is a great start. A lot of the 12's are forgettable and dont offer what is spacial about Scotch in my opinion. Anyway, get after it
    I like the Balvenie 12 a lot.
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    Scotch

I like the Balvenie 12 a lot.

Was my go to Scotch in the day.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam