Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cost is no object: Scotch or Bourbon?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Cost is no object: Scotch or Bourbon? 27 votes

Scotch
55%
ThomasFremontMad_SongreenbloodDennis_DeYoungGladstoneLebamDawgSourcesPitchfork51Doog_de_JourIce_HolmvikYellowSnow89uteGilbystaintUW_Doog_Botsinceredawg 15 votes
Bourbon
44%
DerekJohnsonWhiskeyDawgHouhuskyBennyBeaverRoadDawg55DeepSeaZYouKnowItchuckTequillaPurpleThrobberBearsWiinStLouisDawg 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch
    I've prided myself over the years on being a bourbon man first and foremost. But the older I get, I've noticed my palate changing and find myself more and more in the mood for scotch. This really sucks for me because unlike many of you who are rich, I am a pour.
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Scotch
    I have retired from this and normally bypass these discussions. I loved Scotch and always considered bourbon was best in coke, then I had a good one, then I loved both.
  • Options
    YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 539
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

I have retired from this and normally bypass these discussions. I loved Scotch and always considered bourbon was best in coke, then I had a good one, then I loved both.

I think we all go through the progression with bourbon- i.e., first with coke, then on rocks, and then if you're a real aficionado, neat with a few drops of water.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch
    YouKnowIt said:

Pappy

I've never had it, sadly. I wish is was easier to come by but I'm not a connected guy I reckon.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2018
    Scotch
    It depends on the scotch.

I'd take Bourbon over the best Lowland Scotch, but the best Highland scotches have no rival.

Islay Scotches are great too, but you kind of have to be in the mood. The peat can be a bit overpowering, which a drop of water usually fixes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch
    I had an epiphany the other day drinking Glenlivit 12 which is cheap ($34 at Costco before tax) and I refer to it as the Coors Light of single malts; BUT it's pretty decent whisky and I'd rather sip on it than $30 bourbon to be honest. Ralfy (ralfy.com) even gives it a malt mark of 83/100 which means it's not total shit.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

I'd take Bourbon over the best Lowland Scotch, but the best Highland scotches have no rival.

Islay Scotches are great too, but you kind of have to be in the mood. The peat can be a bit overpowering, which a drop of water usually fixes.

When my wife was last pregnant, she couldn't even be in the same room with me and the Laphroaig.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Bourbon

YouKnowIt said:

Pappy

I've never had it, sadly. I wish is was easier to come by but I'm not a connected guy I reckon.
    Used to drink it before it became insanely expensive. It’s good but it’s not worth the price. There is a newer local one I’m into now. Deceptivus.
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Scotch

When my wife was last pregnant, she couldn't even be in the same room with me and the Laphroaig.
    My wife didn’t have to be pregnant. Scotches are best enjoyed without the wimnin’ folk,
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Scotch
    The ONLY reason not to choose scotch is the insane price. If that barrier gets removed, I’m going to pound town.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

The ONLY reason not to choose scotch is the insane price. If that barrier gets removed, I’m going to pound town.

Think about it this way: "cheap" single malts are aged 10- 12 years. For cheap bourbon it's 4- 6 typically some some like Eagle Rare being 10 year statements. Elijah Craig used to be 12 year old but they've since back off that (running out of stock of spirit that has been aged that long). You just don't see many bourbons that are more than 12 years old.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Scotch

My wife didn’t have to be pregnant. Scotches are best enjoyed without the wimnin’ folk,
    Not necessarily... one day my wife came home from a bad day at work and threw down 4 pours of an Oban 14 (I know, cool story, and no pics). I knew right then that I married right.
  • Options
    Scotch

Think about it this way: "cheap" single malts are aged 10- 12 years. For cheap bourbon it's 4- 6 typically some some like Eagle Rare being 10 year statements. Elijah Craig used to be 12 year old but they've since back off that (running out of stock of spirit that has been aged that long). You just don't see many bourbons that are more than 12 years old.
    Buffalo Trace makes some pretty nice Bourbon
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

Buffalo Trace makes some pretty nice Bourbon
    Yes, all of their stuff is great. They make everything from Buffalo Trace, to Elmer T Lee to Blantons. And Pappy too.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Scotch

Laphroaig and Ardbeg can be quite pungent to sensitive noses, but for a non-sensitive palate they are great.

Oban 14 and Glendronach 18 and 21 are my favorite (I actually toured the Glendronach distillery, which was badass, and probably adds to my favortism towards it). Which happen to be Highland scotches. I've always gravitated to Highland Scotches because I find them more balanced. They aren't mild like the Lowland Scotches (I find lowland scotches a waste of time) but also don't quite have the same punch as a Laphroaig or Ardbeg. Which gives them a really balanced and smooth finish.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch

Laphroaig and Ardbeg can be quite pungent to sensitive noses, but for a non-sensitive palate they are great.

Oban 14 and Glendronach 18 and 21 are my favorite. Which happen to be Highland. I've always gravitated to Highland Scotches because I find them more balanced. They aren't mild like the Lowland Scotches but also don't quite have the same punch as a Laphroaig or Ardbeg. Which gives them a really balanced and smooth finish.
    Can't say I've ever had a Lowland single malt. Everything's always been Speyside, Highland or Islay. But because of being a pour, I'm usually only buying 10- 12 year bottlings.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scotch
    Funny enough, I started my life preferring scotch. Drank a lot of red/black label. It wasn't until I was getting to globe trot with an open booze tab that I started discovering better bourbons that I enjoy. I still can't drink anything like Jack bc it's just too sweet for me but I do enjoy Bulleit quite a bit. If I could drink Macallan everday though I would.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Scotch

Oban 14 and Glendronach 18 and 21 are my favorite. Which happen to be Highland. I've always gravitated to Highland Scotches because I find them more balanced. They aren't mild like the Lowland Scotches but also don't quite have the same punch as a Laphroaig or Ardbeg. Which gives them a really balanced and smooth finish.
    Can't say I've ever had a Lowland single malt. Everything's always been Speyside, Highland or Islay. But because of being a pour, I'm usually only buying 10- 12 year bottlings.
    I've sampled them and I don't like them. They are really mild and fell kind of empty. Everyone I tried made me think they were missing something.

Your local liquor store might sell a Glendronach 12, which goes for around $60. You'll love it
  • Options
    Scotch

Funny enough, I started my life preferring scotch. Drank a lot of red/black label. It wasn't until I was getting to globe trot with an open booze tab that I started discovering better bourbons that I enjoy. I still can't drink anything like Jack bc it's just too sweet for me but I do enjoy Bulleit quite a bit. If I could drink Macallan everday though I would.

Macallan is very good, and you can pretty much find it anywhere.