Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest Empire in Human History??

13»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Roman Empire

The Kahn's laugh at the backwards little Roman Kingdom.

Except for their conquest of China which was a huge deal, most of their rapid conquest was open space. The lasting influence to Rome dwarfs that of the Mongols. We are living in a world that Rome started. China may be on the ascent and things could change, but for now they are the ones wearing western suits and not us? dressing like Mandarins.
    That's only because you live in the very West Western World that you think this. Did you know that the descendants of the Khan's still rule over kingdoms in the East to this very day? As in, unbroken rule since the original conquest. Direct descendants of Genghis.

Mongol Empire at it's height, 100 million

Roman Empire at it's height, 50 million

Excepting China is like saying, the Roman Empire except for modern day Europe.

They also conquered much of India, which Alexander couldn't do.

Freak weather is all that stopped them from conquering Japan and most likely the rest of India.

The only reason they didn't conquer Europe was because they considered it a backwater full of barbarians too far from home to bother with. Otherwise we might all be wearing Mongol pants.
    I'm not discounting how impressive their achievements were but ultimately China went back to being ruled by Han people and not Mongols. And you don't have a billion peeps today speaking Mongolian, BUT you do have a billion speaking offshoots of Latin and another billion speaking Mandarin.

Plus...

The Mongolians were never the majority population except in Mongolia because they far out-conquered their own population and cultural limits. The peasants all spoke their native languages while the rulers spoke Mongolian. If anything, this would be points for the Mongols who punched way outside of their weightclass. Basically all of the ruling dynasties in the lands they conquered were descendants of the Khanate even long after their decline.

Bruh, we gonna give points for the Romans adopting everything the Greeks originally accomplished?

You think Kublai was living in some hut? He founded Beijing as the capital man.

I go back to buildings, some of which included orgy rooms and 'hot baths'.

The Pantheon > than Mongol Huts.

Plus, Gladiators. [Drops mic]

@YellowSnow wins.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Writre-In Option
    If we are going to look at Mongolian shit I'd prefer we do it by viewing the world's largest @SpiritHorse rather than some damn mud hut.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,915
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Roman Empire

Except for their conquest of China which was a huge deal, most of their rapid conquest was open space. The lasting influence to Rome dwarfs that of the Mongols. We are living in a world that Rome started. China may be on the ascent and things could change, but for now they are the ones wearing western suits and not us? dressing like Mandarins.
    That's only because you live in the very West Western World that you think this. Did you know that the descendants of the Khan's still rule over kingdoms in the East to this very day? As in, unbroken rule since the original conquest. Direct descendants of Genghis.

Freak weather is all that stopped them from conquering Japan and most likely the rest of India.

The only reason they didn't conquer Europe was because they considered it a backwater full of barbarians too far from home to bother with. Otherwise we might all be wearing Mongol pants.
    I'm not discounting how impressive their achievements were but ultimately China went back to being ruled by Han people and not Mongols. And you don't have a billion peeps today speaking Mongolian, BUT you do have a billion speaking offshoots of Latin and another billion speaking Mandarin.

Plus...

The Mongolians were never the majority population except in Mongolia because they far out-conquered their own population and cultural limits. The peasants all spoke their native languages while the rulers spoke Mongolian. If anything, this would be points for the Mongols who punched way outside of their weightclass. Basically all of the ruling dynasties in the lands they conquered were descendants of the Khanate even long after their decline.

Bruh, we gonna give points for the Romans adopting everything the Greeks originally accomplished?

Furthermore the descendants of the Roman Empire won the Opium Wars. Rule Britannia !

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mongol Empire

Plus...

@YellowSnow wins.
    Kublai wasn't living in no Mongol hut. That's the point. The Khan's founded what would become the Forbidden City and their buildings there still stand to this day. Khan's had harems, baths, and opium dens that rivaled, if not surpassed the Romans'. Nevermind that they didn't have any stupid monogamous hang ups to begin with.

And then there's Xanadu their summer pleasure palace.

"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
    A stately pleasure-dome decree:
    Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
    Through caverns measureless to man
    Down to a sunless sea.
    So twice five miles of fertile ground
    With walls and towers were girdled round;
    And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
    Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
    And here were forests ancient as the hills,
    Enfolding sunny spots of greenery. "

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,915
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Roman Empire

Plus...

@YellowSnow wins.
    Kublai wasn't living in no Mongol hut. That's the point. The Khan's founded what would become the Forbidden City and their buildings there still stand to this day. Khan's had harems, baths, and opium dens that rivaled, if not surpassed the Romans'. Nevermind that they didn't have any stupid monogamous hang ups to begin with.

Down to a sunless sea.

Look @UW_Doog_Bot , in spit of your being a 2 silver dollar libertarian, STEM major, I know your love of history is skrong and you're in the higher level discussion bored. I suspect there is a bit of our respective biases taking place in this debate- e.g., I am guessing you've spent some time in the Far East (and India) and I have only been to Asia once. Also, in the interest of transparency, my focus of study has always been the West and I'm weak on the East (excepting a bit on Japan).

There's no question and that from the 13th to 16th centuries, China was the greatest civilization on Earth. In fact until the Opium Wars, Europe (and America) still ran huge trade deficits with the Chinese. They had the goods and we had nothing they wanted to buy other than some furs and ginseng roots. ATBJBS, the world we all live into is a Western one because of Adam Smith and the Industrial Revolution. The West which is a direct descendent of the Roman Empire won. Keep in mind, our descendants may end up living in a China dominated world.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mongol Empire

Plus...

@YellowSnow wins.

Down to a sunless sea.

Look @UW_Doog_Bot , in spit of your being a 2 silver dollar libertarian, STEM major, I know your love of history is skrong and you're in the higher level discussion bored. I suspect there is a bit of our respective biases taking place in this debate- e.g., I am guessing you've spent some time in the Far East (and India) and I have only been to Asia once. Also, in the interest of transparency, my focus of study has always been the West and I'm weak on the East (excepting a bit on Japan).

There's no question and that from the 13th to 16th centuries, China was the greatest civilization on Earth. In fact until the Opium Wars, Europe (and America) still ran huge trade deficits with the Chinese. They had the goods and we had nothing they wanted to buy other than some furs and ginseng roots. ATBJBS, the world we all live into is a Western one because of Adam Smith and the Industrial Revolution. The West which is a direct descendent of the Roman Empire won. Keep in mind, our descendants may end up living in a China dominated world.
    Duh, it's a subjective question so of course biases are important. I'm just having fun taking up the cause of the less known greatest empire of all tim.

If you are using modern, contemporary world culture as a measuring stick, then it's not Rome but English/American common law and property rights we are talking about that has created such a "Westward tilt". Those are not inherently Roman at all.
  • Options
    Roman Empire
    Swaye said:

If we are going to look at Mongolian shit I'd prefer we do it by viewing the world's largest @SpiritHorse rather than some damn mud hut.

That is one big fucking horse.
  • Options
    Roman Empire

Plus...

@YellowSnow wins.

Down to a sunless sea.

You may have a point. I'll need videos, because those Romans knew how to fucking party.
  • Options
    Roman Empire

Plus...

@YellowSnow wins.

Down to a sunless sea.

Duh, it's a subjective question so of course biases are important. I'm just having fun taking up the cause of the less known greatest empire of all tim.

If you are using modern, contemporary world culture as a measuring stick, then it's not Rome but English/American common law and property rights we are talking about that has created such a "Westward tilt". Those are not inherently Roman at all.
    Except, as I've pointed out, the duration of that dynasty is quite young, and its future duration quite uncertain.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,840
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The Throbber is down with the Persian Empire.