Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Clock Mis-Managment

124»

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

5 years of play-not-to-lose gets you a team with no emotion or heart that barely beats ASU at home. I’m okay with a coach edtablishing an identity. Having a philosophy and an identity is Thing 1.

Axe Chip Kelly.

The “new identity” was already established in the first 59 minutes.

You think they kneel on the ball, beat one of the conf favorites, this team then emotionally folds the rest of the season because they didn’t prove how tough they are on 2nd and 2? Or can’t get a 2nd and 2 somewhere down the road because they didn’t try in week one vs Stanford?

Oh ok.

That wasn’t fucking, practice.
    You're a troll, I get it, so you say stupid shit on purpose.

No one kneels there. You kneel when it's mathematical over. If Oregon kneels three times they have to punt against a 10 man rush with a 15 yard snap and the worst football player on the team catching it.

If Stanford stops Oregon on third down then of course you punt. Here is how FS stupid fans are. Zero people have complained about the 8 yard run on first down, but trying to get a 2 yard run on second down was a terrible idea. GTFOutta here.

Here is the FS equivalent: You hop in your car to run to the corner store and you get in an accident and die. Your FS family members wonder why you didn't just walk? Well because no adult with a car walks to stores and you could have been run over by a car walking and they'd wonder why you didn't drive.
    Agreed. How could you ever expect or count on a player to execute the only thing they ever do with the game on the line.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

Domicillo said:
    Nice link, but you still have a coach who persists in using a QB that eliminates any chance of you capitalizing on your window of opportunity to do something.
    People forget that Peterman bungled the clock in the same way a few years ago at Arizona.
    But he learned from it maybe. I have low odds on Cristoball being functionally capable of learning.
    Didn’t Pete also fuck up his clock management against Oregon in 2015?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Swaye said:

Domicillo said:
    Nice link, but you still have a coach who persists in using a QB that eliminates any chance of you capitalizing on your window of opportunity to do something.
    People forget that Peterman bungled the clock in the same way a few years ago at Arizona.
    But he learned from it maybe. I have low odds on Cristoball being functionally capable of learning.
    Possibly. It was moar not going for it on 4th down at midfield late in the game IIRC
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2018
    salemcoog said:

Swaye said:

Domicillo said:
    Possibly. It was moar not going for it on 4th down at midfield late in the game IIRC
    It was 2014

Ran Cooper to get one more first down and ice it instead of punting it back to Arizona with hardly any time left on the clock.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Swaye said:

Domicillo said:
    On the other hand, when Peterman made that mistake, he had already been a head coach since b4 whitey was hunting Geronimo in the mountains of New Mexico. Mario's head-coaching experience consists of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit at FIU. Of all the many things I've ever read about crystal balls, stupid is not one of them. And, if you turn your head for five seconds, he'll fuck your wife. The guy still has those swarthy Cuban good looks. And you know it @Swaye !!!
    So it's a mistake or it isn't a mistake, pick a side here.

I'm on the side that it was a mistake, same as I was when Pete did it.

Turning into a Quook doesn't mean you have to talk out both sides of your beak.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Swaye said:

Domicillo said:
    On the other hand, when Peterman made that mistake, he had already been a head coach since b4 whitey was hunting Geronimo in the mountains of New Mexico. Mario's head-coaching experience consists of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit at FIU. Of all the many things I've ever read about crystal balls, stupid is not one of them. And, if you turn your head for five seconds, he'll fuck your wife. The guy still has those swarthy Cuban good looks. And you know it @Swaye !!!

I understand why you go for the first down. Why leave anything to doubt? But I disagree on the decision, as I think kneel downs and a punt would have given Stanford about 20 seconds to drive 60 yards. But who knows, they way shit was going down, Stanford probably would have blocked the punt and taken it in for six anyways.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I would have been ok with the run if they had not used an inexperienced freshman RB. That was the critical mistake.
  • Options
    ToiletSeatToiletSeat Member Posts: 150

*bill*

So we're saying Brooks-James would have been the "safe" choice to carry the ball?
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

*bill*

So we're saying Brooks-James would have been the "safe" choice to carry the ball?
    Heisman Herbert
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

*bill*

A far better choice than freshman Verdell, good though he may be. His inexperience cancels out his talent in situations like that.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Swaye said:

Domicillo said:

Fair point. You're forgetting that behind this whole discussion is that the call was evidence that Cristo is a shitty coach. Someone said Pete did it too. Then someone said, yeah, but he learned from it, to which I pointed out that it was awfully late in his career to be learning those lessons. Just tit for tat shit.

As to what I actually believe? I like to play to win and I like being aggressive. It bites you in the ass once in a while, but in my estimation, playing not to lose costs you much more often and as a culture or style keeps you out of games unless you are just clearly physically better than the other team, which is harder to pull off in today's game. Short yardage handoff to the running back is not high risk. Passing is high risk.

I don't know who was available, though I guess we now know that Brooks-James was hurt, and he's light and easily stopped. #34, whatever his name, ran hard that night. You might question the freshman bit, but I don't think there was a Kani Benoit on the sideline to call into the game, and again, #34 had run very well that night ... run well and physical. If nobody told him two hands, etc. etc., then that was a mistake. Shit they may have told him and he may have just fucked it up anyway. Who knows.

Still say Duck fans should be generally happy with what they saw. I'm comparing it to the dumpster fire of last year and particularly the year before. But I'm a Jimmy Johnson fan and will take "let's build a physical running game" all day long.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    QB sneak left, QB sneak right. Same as taking a knee and that would have been enough to get the first.